Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

Towing a F-150 with Hydralift installed

We have a 2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD with a Hydralift installed to cary the motorcycle. Last trip we towed a Ford Escape on a KarKaddy tow dolly with no issues. Thinking about going to a new Ford F-150 4WD since it readily flat tows. Concerns I have is clearance with the Hydralift support arms and the truck.

When connecting a tow bar such as the Blueox, how far behind the hitch does the tow bar connect to the vehicle? How much of an extension to the hitch can be added without losing safety and integrity of the hitch system?

Don't want to invest in a new truck if it's not going to work. The advantage to this truck is it's the daily driver when not on the road also. Saves having a dedicated "toad".
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I'm not sure Hydralift has the same thing as Cruiserlift, but we use an extension that puts the toad far enough back from the bike to not be a problem.

Take a look at the Cruiserlift extension at

Site Builder

If that link doesn't work, just go to cruiserlift.com and go the cruiserlift page and scroll down for a picture of the extension.

Hope that helps.

Randy
Old 11-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #3

Thanks. Hydralift doesn't have such an accessory listed but I did see them other places. I call Blueox and they said the tow bar puts the vehicle about 3 feet from the hitch. The Curt extensions said the extension reduced the rated hitch towing capacity by 50%. Hydralift is rated as a 7000# hitch so a 50% reduction is too much. F-150 weighs just under 5000#. Did the Cruiserlift extension have any restrictions or reduction to hitch rating?

Interesting note, the Reese drop receivers are rated for 5000#, no mention of reducing existing hitch rating weight and says 4 wheel down towing only.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
No, Cruiserlift doesn't indicate any de-rating of towing capacity by using the extension. They rate the flat towing capacity using their lift at 6000 lbs, and there is no reduction by using the extension. Could be due to the differences in how each lift is mounted and how the flat towing is designed to be accomplished. Cruiserlift indicates that other systems have the flat towing connection mounted to the bike tray,as opposed to the main part of the mount. Not sure how Hydralift is designed.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:33 AM   #5

The Hydralift hitch is mounted to the motorhome frame like the stock hitch, not the lift platform. I looked at that link and the pictures on the Cruiserlift site and had trouble figuring out who the "other lift" was.

Sent a info request to Hydralift about an extension but meanwhile I was hoping to hear from other lift users what they towed and what they had to do. On your Cruiserlift do you have any issues with clearance between the lift and your toad? What type toad?

Thanks, David
Old 11-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
David,

I have no issues with clearance. I'm towing a Dodge Dakota, and using the extension, there is no clearance issues with the lift. I've got a friend who has an earlier version of the Blue Ox Overbilt lift, and he has an extension as well. He tows a Toyota Tacoma, with a dirt bike in the truck. I can't believe hydralift doesn't have something similar. What tow rating they give it is another question, but they have to have an extension that would allow you to tow a vehicle.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
We have a 2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD with a Hydralift installed to cary the motorcycle. Last trip we towed a Ford Escape on a KarKaddy tow dolly with no issues. Thinking about going to a new Ford F-150 4WD since it readily flat tows. Concerns I have is clearance with the Hydralift support arms and the truck.

When connecting a tow bar such as the Blueox, how far behind the hitch does the tow bar connect to the vehicle? How much of an extension to the hitch can be added without losing safety and integrity of the hitch system?

Don't want to invest in a new truck if it's not going to work. The advantage to this truck is it's the daily driver when not on the road also. Saves having a dedicated "toad".
I have a Hydralift and tow the Equinox. I too was concerned about clearance and still am. I worry if I turn too sharp but so far nothing has happened. I've towed it about 5k miles so far.

I also make sure the Blue Ox tow bar is seated as far outward in the Hydralift receiver as possible. This pushes things as far back as possible without adding any type of extension.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led, tow, towing