Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towing a Ford Edge

I'd like to get some input from those of you that tow a Ford Edge.

I just bought the DW a new (left over) 2014 Edge Limited AWD to replace her aging Lexus. We decided to buy something towable, for times when we don't want/need to pull my Tacoma.

According to the owner's manual and Motorhome Magazine, all I have to do for four wheel flat towing is put the ignition in acc, throw the transmission in neutral and go. They also recommend running the engine for 5 minutes before and after each towing session. Looking at what's left on in acc mode, it appears as though it would be a good idea to power off the nav screen. Am I missing anything? Any other helpful pointers?

Thanks!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I believe the dash will go to sleep after a given time. I would highly recommend adding a charge line. With my limited 2012 there are a lot of things left on. I can hear my anticollision radar in the front whining or something close by. If you don't run a charge line be sure to have long enough jumper cables to reach from your coach batteries to the car. I have connected two jumper cables in series to the positives of the batteries between the vehicles and used the tow bar as the ground side to charge the car to get it started but you really need to let it charge and hour or so to start it safely.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a Ford Flex and before that towed a Ford Escape. I had a non-chip key made for the ignition and use that to tow with. When we are ready to tow we hook up the tow bar, air line from our coach to the Roadmaster Brakmaster air line, the electrical cable which has our lighting and battery charge line, install the Brakmaster Cylinder and air line, remove the normal chip-key, insert the non-chip key, turn the key on, put the transmission in netural, turn the key all the way back to where it stops and we are ready to to. All this takes us about 5-10 minutes.

FYI, I believe the manual to be in error on the Accessory mode unless you also pull a fuse. All they really want you to do is place the key in a position to leave the steering wheel UNLOCKED...

The reason I had a non-chip key made is that the engine cannot be started with the key thus it helps prevent someone unhooking the car and driving off with it!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Running the engine for 5 minutes is not just a recommendation, it is a requirement. Look in your owner's manual under "Recreational Towing" and follow the instructions to a T.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Craig

We tow a 2013 Lincoln MKX with keyless ignition (which is probably about the same vehicle as your Edge), and had a miserable time with it being discharged almost every trip. Finally took it to the Ford Dealership in Elko Nevada and they checked it out and said all was well with the car so I installed a charge line and still had issues.

I had it checked again in Longview Washington at the Lincoln dealership and they said I did in fact have a dead cell in the battery and replaced it (free). It has worked perfectly ever sense. I still hook up the charge line since I have it installed already but don't think I really need it.

There was another gentleman who had the exact same problem with his MKX and it was a bad battery for him also. Here is the link to that discussion which has a fair amount of info. Edge and MKX pretty much the same thing so it should apply to you also.

2013 Lincoln MKX

It does tow quite nicely, simply start and run for 5 minutes (I cycle through the gears while sitting there). Put into Neutral, push button once to kill engine, push button once more for "ACC mode", turn off the display screen for climate control, navigation and such and I am good to go. I think you will enjoy your Edge for a Toad.
Bob

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towing a Ford Edge

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. As JRPA alluded to, the 2014 Edge is keyless, so there is no need for a chipless key. I do however have one for my Tacoma.

Thanks again!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Yes, the 5 min engine run time Plus, cycling through Drive, Reverse and then Neutral are all required according to my previous Escape and my 2014 Edge.
JohnFreyja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #8

We've been happy with towing our 2014 Edge. After running the engine for 5 minutes and putting it through the gears (drive and reverse, then neutral), I turn the key as far as it goes counter clockwise. That leaves the steering wheel unlocked but the key won't come out since the car isn't in park. They say to put the key in accessory mode, but I don't think that's really in accessory; for example the fan shuts off and the radio shuts down as soon as you open the door. Some electronics are still running however, like a warning on the dash that the car isn't in park, and that warning is still there after exiting the car. I added a Toad-Charge module to keep the battery topped off using a 12 volt line from the motorhome.

Tags
ford, tow, towing