Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing a Ford Fusion.

I need ideas on towing a 2017 ford fusion. Please help with your opinions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 07:45 PM   #2

First off, it is the Hybrid Fusion only. None of the regular gas versions can NOT 4 wheel flat tow, however, looking at the manual it appears the 2.7L version can. Didn't check for Dolly towing as was not covered under "Recreational Towing". I think the Hybrid Energi model can, but the owners manual was not online like the others. I would check the owner's manual for which ever one you decide on.

The Hybrid is currently my top choice as I wait for VW to pay me for my diesel Passat.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #3

Only the Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Hybrid Energi models are towable 4 down.

All Fusion FWD models can be towed on a dolly.

All Fusion AWD models (non-hybrid) must be towed on a trailer.

Those are your options for a Fusion, and no Remco does not list a lube pump kit for the Fusion.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #4

The 2017 fusion sport AWD can be flat towed.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
The 2017 fusion sport AWD can be flat towed.

I'm looking at getting one. Blue ox has had the baseplate available for a month or two. It has a neutral tow mode and no fuses need to be pulled according to the owner's manual.

There aren't many light automatic 4WD or AWD vehicles out there that aren't Jeeps.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
I'm looking at getting one. Blue ox has had the baseplate available for a month or two. It has a neutral tow mode and no fuses need to be pulled according to the owner's manual.

There aren't many light automatic 4WD or AWD vehicles out there that aren't Jeeps.

Until a few years ago, Honda CRV FWD's could be flat towed. My 2010 CRV tows just fine with 4 down. 2013 or '14 was the last year model that could be towed 4 down.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure about the 2017 but have towed 4 down with a 2012 Fusion hybrid. My owners manual stated recreational towing. One thing they didn't mention was the starting battery drain. My fusion has the my touch with GPS that stays lit and is a major battery drain. Don't ask me how i know.

It's always a good idea to get a charging device.

This is what i have.

https://rvibrake.com/collections/acc...ant=8804388741
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 8.15.25 PM.png
Views:	79
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	146658  
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #8

I was already planning to do that if I get the car.

From the on-line version of the manual:

Vehicles Equipped with a 2.7L Engine

You can tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground using the Neutral Tow feature, or with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. If you are using a vehicle transport trailer, follow the instruction specified by the equipment provider.
If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground:
Tow only in the forward direction.
Release the parking brake.
Neutral Tow
Enter Neutral Tow mode by doing the following:
1. Put the ignition in accessory mode by pressing the engine START button without pressing the brake pedal.
2. Select the neutral tow option under the vehicle settings menu in the information display. See General Information (page 93).
3. Press and hold the OK button to start the neutral tow process.
4. Press the brake pedal and select N on the rotary shift transmission.
5. Turn the ignition off by pressing the engine START button without pressing the brake pedal.
If the process completes successfully:
the N on the rotary shift transmission blinks slowly.
A confirmation message appears in the information display.
Note: If the parking brake is applied, a message appears in the information display.
Note: Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h).
Note: Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and every six hours (or fewer). Shut the engine off and verify that a message appears indicating neutral tow has been engaged, before continuing to tow.
Exit Neutral Tow mode, make sure the ignition is on (engine can be on or off), press the brake pedal and select P on the rotary shift transmission.
If the process is completed successfully, a message appears indicating that neutral tow has disengaged in both the instrument cluster and rotary shift transmission
Old 12-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #9

Towing a Ford Fusion.

Just picked up our new toad (2017 Fusion Sport). We put it in neutral tow mode when we picked it up just to go through the process. At 325hp it can help push up the hills.

Still missing a few small things - baseplate, tow bar, brakes, and motorhome.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Just picked up our new toad (2017 Fusion Sport). We put it in neutral tow mode when we picked it up just to go through the process. At 325hp it can help push up the hills.

Still missing a few small things - baseplate, tow bar, brakes, and motorhome.
Congratulation! And yes, a motorhome would be important. After I rented a fusion (gas, not hybrid - and definitely not sport) decided I didn't want to sit down in and climb out as that is the one thing dislike about the Passat and would apply to virtually all sedans. Wanting to sit over and stand out (wife's knee couldn't handle step up/climb down of a truck) so primary choice shifting to Ford Edge which is built off the Fusion platform. The Sport version with the 2.7L Ecoboost looks inviting vs the 3.5L as both are flat towable - including awd versions while the 2.0L is not flat towable.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #11

In our case wife's knee didn't want to use the clutch pedal with any finesse so it was time to go with an automatic. We have a Bay Star on order for March-April delivery.

That gives me enough time to get the Fusion set up for towing.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #12

Towing a Ford Fusion.

Just had the Blue Ox baseplate installed in my Fusion Sport. The installers said they had never seen a manufacturer use so many connectors on the front end. It was a tedious job but it's done. I just drove it home, and all the forward sensors (parking, adaptive cruise control) are working. I'll test the setup with my pickup truck while waiting for the motorhome to arrive.

I'll have a 600+ HP rig. (320 for the Bay Star and 325 for the Fusion)
Old 03-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #13

I now have a neat professional install (Dave's RV Center in Danbury CT) but it doesn't sound like a job for someone without time, tools, a lift, experience, and attention to detail. I re-read my Ford owners manual and there are 17 connectors (bolts, pop fittings,etc.) needed to remove one headlight to replace a bulb.

Tags
towing, ford, tow