Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #1

Does anyone tow a full size pickup? I am interested in towing a 2006 Chev.1/2ton, Z-71 4x4. I have the weight as 4508lbs. from the towing guide. I currently pull a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9l ltd. and have no problems. I use a Blue Ox 10k bar and brake device. The Chev. manual has a procedure that calls for turning the ignition to lock position. The Jeep had to be in the first un-lock position to avoid the locking of the stering wheel. Does the new trucks not have a stering wheel lock ? Thanks for your replies.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #2

Does anyone tow a full size pickup? I am interested in towing a 2006 Chev.1/2ton, Z-71 4x4. I have the weight as 4508lbs. from the towing guide. I currently pull a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9l ltd. and have no problems. I use a Blue Ox 10k bar and brake device. The Chev. manual has a procedure that calls for turning the ignition to lock position. The Jeep had to be in the first un-lock position to avoid the locking of the stering wheel. Does the new trucks not have a stering wheel lock ? Thanks for your replies.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen all kinds of full size trucks in tow - even an F350 dualie. If your hitch and your GCWR are up to it, go for it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #4

I have been towing a E350 diesel van with
all my tools etc and a boat on top for 5 years
about 7,000 lbs 35,000 miles
no problem..

2000 JIMMY 4X4 (toad)
Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:53 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

The steering wheel has a lock, you need the key in a position that does not lock the wheel. You may be looking at the procedure for tow truck towing-- You also need to weight the truck, the listed weights aren't always accurate. And can your MH tow that weight?
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:05 AM   #6

I tow a CR-V and a Chevy Silverado 1500 1/2 ton. I don't have the manual in front of me for the exact wording, but I had the same question. It said to put it in the lock position. The Chevy people had to get two people to decide that was not right. I tow it in the accessory on position - just after the lock position. The dash is lit up unlike the CR-V, but so far the battery hasn't worn down even with 6 hour pulls.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:52 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

I tow an '07 K2500 and the owner's manual has a section I think called "recreational towing" or "towing four wheels down" in the index,where it describes the procedure.
With my truck you leave the key in the first click,just as you do in the '06 Jeep Wrangler.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #8

Thanks for your replies. I just got the new truck home and have not towed it yet. I was assured from the dealer and Motor Home Mag.towing guide that it is fully capable of being towed with all wheels down. The position of the ignition switch is mentioned in two places in the truck manual. The instructions for placing the transfer case in Neutral calls for the ignition to be left in the Lock position. However later on in the manual the instructions for Recreational Vehicle Towing says to turn the ignition Off and leave the steering column unlocked. This has to be in the accessory position. The Jeep had one more ignition position than the Chevy that unlocked the steering wheel but did not power up the accessories, dash etc.. The question now is "how long will the battery last in this position?" Thanks again for the replies, it is great to be able to discuss with others our RV questions.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:33 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You will want to put the transfer case in neutral, transmission in park and have the steering unlocked so it can turn to follow motorhome. If the dash lights up you will need to either remove the fuse feeding it; on mine it is the #1 ignition fuse, or install a switch to break the connection. Make sure parking brake is off; brake assist is installed and windows are rolled up.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oh-one:
Thanks for your replies. I just got the new truck home and have not towed it yet. I was assured from the dealer and Motor Home Mag.towing guide that it is fully capable of being towed with all wheels down. The position of the ignition switch is mentioned in two places in the truck manual. The instructions for placing the transfer case in Neutral calls for the ignition to be left in the Lock position. However later on in the manual the instructions for Recreational Vehicle Towing says to turn the ignition Off and leave the steering column unlocked. This has to be in the accessory position. The Jeep had one more ignition position than the Chevy that unlocked the steering wheel but did not power up the accessories, dash etc.. The question now is "how long will the battery last in this position?" Thanks again for the replies, it is great to be able to discuss with others our RV questions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Figure out which fuse the accessories position on the ignition switch feeds and pull that fuse(s) when you are towing.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #11

If I pull a fuse that controls the accessories would that not erase all the memory settings in the various displays ie:radio, a/c, driver information center etc. ?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #12

A lot of the new vehecles have a battery saver mode that shuts off lights etc. before batt. is dead. yours may have it?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:20 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The fuse you want to pull, is nothing more than the circuit feeding the ignition switch. When you turn the switch off you are not killing power for memory, only lighting up the dash panel, that over time will drain the battery.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #14

oh-one, I have a 2005 Chev. 1/2ton Z-71 4X4. I turn my key to the lock position and remove the key as normal when towing, after placing the transmission in Neutral accoring to the owners manual. The newer models DO NOT have a stering lock position. At least the 2005 model does not. You can check to see if your stering wheel will rotate when in the lock position. Most vehicles that do have a lock position will not allow you to turn the stering wheel in either direction. Mine tows just fine and yes the wheels turn when being towed around a corner. Let me know if you have any questions.

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote