Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing a Goldwing

We would like to be able to take our Goldwing with us when we travel but I can't find any definitive answers on towing with what we are considering. I'd like to get one of those carriers that allows you to get the front wheel off the round with a hitch that goes in the receiver. We have a 31' Bounder which has a fair amount of over hang. The bike weighs close to 900 LBS and I have no idea what that translates to when you consider tongue weight. Not real sure what the max towing tongue weight for this MH is anyway.

Has anyone else towed a Goldwing in a similar fashion? I have no interest in one of the hydraulic lifts as we are no where near FT's and the expense outweighs the possible use.

The link below is on ebay and is what we would be considering or anythging else similar to it.

The Original Slick Wheelie 754592119199 | eBay

If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would hesitate to tow a bike "1 down" - how would it react when the rear wheel starts moving side to side? I'm not familiar with GWs - can you lock the forks in the straight-ahead position? Also, what happens if a pothole or something jars it enough to pop it into gear?

I use a Kendon dual trailer Kendon Stand-Up Motorcycle Trailers Motorcycle Lifts Utility Trailers to haul my Ural Tourist around. It's light, but can carry 2000 lbs. When it's not behind the motorhome it simply stands up in my garage pretty much out of the way.

Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Oh, the horror!!! ;-)) I wouldn't tow my Goldwing very far at all with a Slick Willy hitch-mount setup. It may be fine for a local transfer of the bike from one part of town to another, but the bike would collect a LOT of road dings and be "sandblasted" on a longer trip, especially behind a moho! I would think the previous poster's suggestion would hold more merit except that it would leave the bike open to road damage (rocks, debris, etc.), wouldn't it? My own 2006 gold 'Wing rides in an enclosed trailer and that would be my advice. It might fit in just a 5'x8' enclosed trailer although mine goes in a 6'x12', and I think there are 6'x10's.
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
I saw this today in El Paso, TX. I don't think I would give it a try. I would never do that to my motorcycles. This was on a 1 ton truck and it was jacked up pretty high. This is an 09 bike and it sure looked rough, and I am sure it came from dragging it around like this. Only 2 straps and it had a 4 inch lean to the left. I have about 50k in my 2 bikes and I haul them in the bed of my GMC2500 or in the 12 ft enclosed trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2438.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	22183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2440.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	22184  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2441.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	22185  
2003 36' Journey DL 330 Cat, Harley Rider
Jim and Brenda Kirkland
Command Sergeant Major, US Army, Retired
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
If you don't want to spend a lot of money on an enclosed trailer, you could use a 6x10 or 5x8 flatbed trailer with a chock. Your bike will be ok behind your motorhome. Your Goldwing will get pretty dirty if it rains while you are towing it but otherwise it should be fine. The advantage of an open trailer is that you can see how the bike is riding on the trailer in the event that a strap fails. I have always trailered my bikes on an open trailer and I also have friends who have arrived at their destinations only to find that their bikes had laid over because a strap had come loose inside of an enclosed trailer.
Nathan and Linda, 2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U, F53 Chassis, Banks Power Pack
Patrol 65 is offline   Reply With Quote