Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:15 AM   #1

Towing a honda

I Read here that you don't need to remove the drive train on a Honda to tow on all four All Hondas Passport too? any year

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #2

Take a look at the Guide in Motorhome Magazine to check
Dinghy Towing, Flat Towable Vehicles, Dinghy Towing Guides - MotorHome

garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The Honda Passport is a 4WD that is not towable - no neutral in the transfer case. Theer is no tranny lube pump available for it either.

You cannot make any general statement about Hondas - you have to consider each model individually. Nearly all CRVs & FITs are towable, and many older Civics and Accords.

A good place to check is Remco Towing, who makes lube pumps for car that needs them. They have an excellent list of what is towable and what needs mods. Just enter the make, model and year and you get the answer.

Application Charts | Remco Towing
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramster View Post
I Read here that you don't need to remove the drive train on a Honda to tow on all four All Hondas Passport too? any year
As per Gary's link to Remco, a tow bar and base plate is available for the Passport. If you really want to tow this vehicle you would need to disconnect the rear drive shaft for the RWD model and both front and rear drive shafts for the 4WD model. Sounds like to much of a hassle to me.
Keep in mind that the Passport is a rebadged Izusu Rodeo and was not designed by Honda.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The 2005 and older Passport's are indeed towable. 2006 and newer are not. Want all through this with their legal dept and the WA and CA AG's offices over our 2005 Ody some years ago.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #6

Sold my Jeep in Jan. and while I was in Ariz. I got a 2009 Honda Civic. We full time and currently have towed it 4 wheels down about 8000 miles this year with no issues and no worries. Yes I know this car is not on the MH "approved" towing list..but that is only a guide containing info that would stand up to any possible law suit from anyone, at any time, or any place,

Yes I know Honda will not warranty the tranny, but gee.. the warranty has already expired so that was not an issue.

THe roadmaster EZ-stow baseplate was easy to install and tow wiring was a breeze. Hook up the brake buddy and lights, put the tranny in neutral per Honda directions, put the key in "acc" position and turn off the radio... and go. I don't pull any fuses and I have never had a weak battery or any issues. Love it.

P.S> I wanted to install "add-a-lite" type tow lights but there is not sufficient room inside the lenses to allow an additional bulb and socket so I had to use a set of diodes.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
Sold my Jeep in Jan. and while I was in Ariz. I got a 2009 Honda Civic. We full time and currently have towed it 4 wheels down about 8000 miles this year with no issues and no worries. Yes I know this car is not on the MH "approved" towing list..but that is only a guide containing info that would stand up to any possible law suit from anyone, at any time, or any place,

Yes I know Honda will not warranty the tranny, but gee.. the warranty has already expired so that was not an issue.

According to the Honda website you did have a 5 year/60,000 mile warranty on the powertrain, all Civic's from 2006 on have that. But, you're right, you don't even have that now that you've towed it.

THe roadmaster EZ-stow baseplate was easy to install and tow wiring was a breeze. Hook up the brake buddy and lights, put the tranny in neutral per Honda directions, put the key in "acc" position and turn off the radio... and go. I don't pull any fuses and I have never had a weak battery or any issues. Love it.

I hope you aren't just putting the trans in neutral and towing. You should follow the CR-V instructions at least. That's what Honda told me to do before we bought the Ody, and the saving grace was that they put it in writing on Honda letterhead that it was towable four down.

P.S> I wanted to install "add-a-lite" type tow lights but there is not sufficient room inside the lenses to allow an additional bulb and socket so I had to use a set of diodes.

I also used the diodes to wire it due to various reports about poor light dispersion from the added bulbs not being in the optimum position.
I set our '05 Ody up for towing, then found that Honda had changed their mind so they paid me for the gear I had installed. Bought a dolly with their money but left the towing gear on it. I've since seen enough people towing them and talked with owners to decide to go back to towing it four down. Have only towed it a few hundred miles so far.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing