Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Okay, we're talking about a different key. My CRV came with two identical Black Chip Keys and one Grey Non Chip key.
The two black keys start and run the car but the Grey one will only start the car for a few seconds and shutt off. It will Manually lock/unlock the drivers door.
Your valet key is not programmed correctly, a dealer can program it correctly. The need all the vehicle keys and the vehicle for an hour or so. The valet key was missing when I bought my '14 CR-V so I had to have it done.
I also had a non-chipped key made for the '05 Ody since, like the CR-V, the key had to be left in the ignition. I used the non-chipped key in the ignition and held a chipped key next to it. That would start the engine and let it run. That doesn't work in the CR-V though so I just use the valet key now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Are you aware that in most states a braking system is required by law?
And to add to that: You must be legal in each and every state you travel in, there is no reciprocity on braking laws like there is for drivers licenses.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And to add to that: You must be legal in each and every state you travel in, there is no reciprocity on braking laws like there is for drivers licenses.
For auxiliary brake system I started with brake buddy. It worked ok with my Ford Focus but when I changed over to CRV found out the sensitivity table was not accurate causing brake overheat on my toad vehicle. Added M&G tow brake system. Is love the setup. It uses the existing air brake system of my coach with air brakes to proportionately actuate the toad's brakes. For RVs without air brakes they do offer an air compressor setup, but this does add to the cost.
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #32
RV LIFE Support Team

We put on our CRV a Ready Brake Elite. We didn't want to be bothered with moving a braking unit in and out of the car. We unhitch and off we go.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:44 PM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion04 View Post
For auxiliary brake system I started with brake buddy. It worked ok with my Ford Focus but when I changed over to CRV found out the sensitivity table was not accurate causing brake overheat on my toad vehicle. Added M&G tow brake system. Is love the setup. It uses the existing air brake system of my coach with air brakes to proportionately actuate the toad's brakes. For RVs without air brakes they do offer an air compressor setup, but this does add to the cost.
I have used the air actuated, fully proportional RoadMaster BrakeMaster 9160 (includes breakaway) for over 15 yrs even though my rig has air disk all around and easily passes the WA, OR and CA performance specks.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurferlady View Post
Thank you for all that good information. I'm not going to change the size of the battery but I went to my Honda Dealer yesterday and talked with the service manager as to what battery came in my Honda and he informed me it had a 450CCA and Honda has now upgraded to 500 CCA so I'm buying a 615 CC battery to get the recommended cranking amps. I took the one back that I had bought because it was lower CCAmps. I don't have any breaking system so I don't think there should be any drain on the battery when towing. I really like that idea of the by pass switch. I may get that if I experience any battery drain. I've dimmed the lights when the car is left in the ACC position and I'll make sure the radio is off. Thank you so much for that post. I'm going to keep it to refer to if I need to put a switch in and I'll print out the instructions and keep under my visor or put on a card and refer to each time I stop. Now I feel confident in leaving on my own. I'm so happy this forum is here to help.
Windsurferlady
Kingston, Ontario

Your 2011 Honda is a great unit to pull, that is what we are pulling now. Sorry to hear you are not going to use a tow break of some kind. It is much safer and is very a very noticible difference when not using a break. After pulling for awhile you might want to reconsider. I have towed with and without a battery cut off and have only had one issue. Just follow the instruction manual and you should not have problems.
Gene
Gene Holcomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, tow, towing