Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #1

Question towing a Honda CRV

I have a dilemma. We were planning on towing our 2004 Honda CRV. We went to our local RV repair and supplies facility in our other vehicle and asked for an estimate on the cost of the equipment to make the CRV towable. They wanted to know "its package". Was it a Lx4WD, ES EX ..." "I'll get back to you"
So, I looked around and found no such mention on it at all. I gave them the VIN
( JHLRD78824C001107 for those this info would benefit), they got back to me with the info my CRV was NOT towable. Seems I've seen somewhere on the forums that the CRV is Very towable. However, my RV guy is renowned for his knowledge and quality workmanship. He's the guy everyone in the area goes to.
We've had an RV in this campground down the road for 12 years, and I've never heard one complaint about him, just praise. So you can see my confusion.
Perhaps, someone in the forum tows my "type" of CRV. I'd like to know what's involved in that (special kits, pumps, etc).
Thanks in advance, Happy trails!!
ImanRVCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you still have your owners manual, look in there for your answers. In general, all versions of CRVs are flat towable - FWD, AWD being the only versions I can think of. This includes automatics and standard transmissions.

You can also check the REMCO website and FMCA for towing guides. You can do the research yourself in less than 20 minutes and get your answerss
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
To my knowledge as well, all CRV's with standard or regular automatic transmissions are towable. There is a startup procedure that you have to follow to lubricate the trans before you head out, and after 300 miles or 6 hours of towing, but that's it.

Check out this link: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...000O00176A.pdf
Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #4

Your RV guy is wrong in this case.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

We tow a 2003 Element AWD with automatic transaxle with no issues. Follow the procedure in the owners manual when hooking up to tow.

There is one or 2 years where the Honda is not towable however I believe it is later than yours.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
We tow a 2003 Element AWD with automatic transaxle with no issues. Follow the procedure in the owners manual when hooking up to tow.

There is one or 2 years where the Honda is not towable however I believe it is later than yours.
No years that I know of for the CRV. For the Element it is post 2006, but our 2009 has the EXACT same motor & transaxle as the 2009 CRV which you can tow, so go figure. I have had no problems with ours.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never heard of any exception to the CR-V as to towing.

Four down towing that is, dolly towing may be different.

My 2004 Honda CR-V has been towed since birth. The owners manual makes no distinction for the LX or EX designation and covers all manual and automatic transmissions. On page 157 it has the towing procedure specifically for towing behind a motor home.

The LX/EX destinations has to do with equipment like tinted windows, sunroof, sound system, wheels etc not so much with mechanics. I get mine confused but I think I have the EX which came with all the above.

You need a base plate installed and a tow bar too match and the towing set up procedure in your manual.

A welding shop specializing in Blue Ox equipment did my install. If you are adventuresome and handy you can do the install. Enough people have done so and they will chime in if you need to ask questions. Same is true of the set up procedure.

Go to the Honda website and register and you can get a copy of the manual if you do not have one.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back again, I can't help myself on this topic.

The Honda CR-V is delightfully tow able four wheels down. There are exceptions for dolly towing, I questioned that once on this forum and got my ears pinned back. So if you are talking four down towing then we are all on the same page.

What I offer conclusively is my own tow record (in writing recording each tow) for my 2004 which is about 35,000 miles over a nine year period. All without incident or problems or any damage to the vehicle. And all within the towing parameters noted in my manual.

There is ample reason for confusion on this issue. Honda has not been any help. Even in my own files I have a letter from Honda saying not to tow more than 50 miles at no more than 35 mph. I received the letter after I purchased my Honda new expressly for towing and under the proviso that the deal was void if it was not tow able 4 down. I also have my owners manual saying no more than 8 hours and no more than 65 mph. I have a letter from my Honda dealer stating it is tow able under conditions in the manual and a number of times I have been told by Honda technicians my CR-V is not to be towed; statements which were quickly refuted by service managers. It's a jungle out there.

Your manual is your bible and when you look at your or get one to look at you will see your CR-V is tow able.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FMC Towing 2004shows CRV is Towable. You can also go to DEMCO and look up your vehicle. they make base plates and are considered knowledgeable. look at ready brake, ready brute, it will save you some money. we towed a 2005 element and it had the same FWD and Transmission. we towed it for 3 yrs. Safe ravels.. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been flat towing my '04 Element 8000 miles in the past year without problem. I know Honda USA withdrew flat towing authorization from the Element after model year 2006, but (according to my sources) it was the legal department, not engineering, that pushed the change. Honda USA also puts a 1500 lb tow limit on the Element, while the same car is allowed to tow upwards of 2000lbs in many other countries. Same reasoning.

The same premise may well be applying to the CRV if you find inconsistencies in statements from Honda representatives. However, for an '04 CRV, use the OM as your primary defense. If its in there, you're good. I'm told the CRV and Element are built on the same chassis.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well for what it is worth I have towed 4 down a 2004 Civic Automatic, a 2006 Civic Manual and now I tow a 2010 CRV AWD Automatic. All were fine towing behind the MH. I towed them many of thousand of miles. Wore out a set of tires on the 2006. Honda manual stated they could be towed. An the Honda Service Managers also check for me and stated to me these cars were OK to tow 4 down.
I would think a 2004 CRV would be no different than my 2004 Civic. Keep checking!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
To my knowledge as well, all CRV's with standard or regular automatic transmissions are towable. There is a startup procedure that you have to follow to lubricate the trans before you head out, and after 300 miles or 6 hours of towing, but that's it.

Check out this link: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...000O00176A.pdf
Actually it's 8 hours on the clock (not actual towing time so lunch stops etc. count too), speed limited to 65 mph.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I've been flat towing my '04 Element 8000 miles in the past year without problem. I know Honda USA withdrew flat towing authorization from the Element after model year 2006, but (according to my sources) it was the legal department, not engineering, that pushed the change. Honda USA also puts a 1500 lb tow limit on the Element, while the same car is allowed to tow upwards of 2000lbs in many other countries. Same reasoning.

The same premise may well be applying to the CRV if you find inconsistencies in statements from Honda representatives. However, for an '04 CRV, use the OM as your primary defense. If its in there, you're good. I'm told the CRV and Element are built on the same chassis.
Actually it started with the 2005 models. Been all through that with the Honda Legal Dept. in 2006. Starting with the 2005 models the only Honda's approved for towing four down were the CR-V and later the Fit even though we had it in writing on Honda letterhead that the '05 Odyssey was approved.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Honda Towing.pdf (35.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Your manual is your bible and when you look at your or get one to look at you will see your CR-V is tow able.
Not necessarily!
When we were negotiating about a buy back on our '05 Ody I specifically asked about the doing a trade for a Pilot. They said the '05 Pilot was not towable, when I pointed out that the manual said it was their answer was that there were misprinted manuals and they were not towable.

Tags
towing