Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Towing a Honda CRV 4WD, 4 Down

Hello,
I am currently considering the purchase of an 06 Honda CRV 4WD and have a question to all that may have more knowledge than I have. Will there be any problems or issues I may encounter towing a 4WD vehicle as compared to 2WD vehicle. Also what procedures must I follow when towing this particular vehicle? Thanks for all potential reply's.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #2

You should have no problem towing the CR-V four down. We have towed our '04 for about 40,000 miles with no problems.

When towing follow the directions in the owners manual. It is very important to leave the vehicle in "N"eutral from "D"rive and not from "R"everse. Something about going from Reverse to Neutral not being in a true neutral position. Don't know the whys, but easy enough to just follow the directions.

The only problem you will probably have with 4wd is sometime it will make a creaky noise as you turn corners at low speeds. Actually seems to drag vehicle speed down. It sounds expensive, but is not. You just need to change out the differential fluid in the rear. Very easy to do. Even I was able to do it. Just requires special lube from Honda (also not very expensive).

Hope this helps.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 05 4WD and have towed it many miles with no problem. Follow the advice that RoadRohrers gave. I installed LED lights into the blank light socket in the taillight lens. The lights are powered from the coach with no electrical connection the the CRV. I have never pulled the fuse. Thank you RoadRohrers. I have been trying to find that creaky noise for months! I have a little hearing problem and it makes it very difficult to focus on the source of the noise.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #4

I have an 05 4WD. Installed the lighting as noted above, diect from the 7 pin on the coach. I did not want to cut any of the vehicle wires. I bought the Roadmaster light kit, then put the wire harness in a plastic loom to protect it. The lights come out easy and there is a drain hole through the rear fender on each side.
With a Roadmaster All-terrain tow bar and Even-brake we have towed the CRV about 5000 miles with no issues. The CRV owners manual details the correct procedure for getting into neutral. I did not run a charge wire and have not had any issues. Also, we had the rear end "groan" noise when turning. it was cured with the rear differential oil change.
Keith
Old 07-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #5

I towed a 99 CR-V 81,000 miles and have towed a 07 CR-V about 18,000 miles - both AWD. So far I have never had a problem. Just made sure you follow the instructions in the owners manual.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #6

I also tow an 06 CRV, never had any issues. I bought 25' of trailer cord and fished it thru the frame, used the 2 knock outs in the tail lights and put a 4 pin connector in the front bumper.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all of the great advice. Based on the advice given, I just purchased a CRV yesterday and got a great deal. I also ordered a roadmaster towing package for it along with the brake system. We are very excited about our journey around the country that starts next month!!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been thinking about a toad, and I haven't found anything to knock the CRV off the top of the list. I thought the reason you went from drive to neutral was to get fluid pumping through the tranny, and it was something you had to do every few hours.

It was my understanding you had to do this with most automatic transmission vehicles, not just the CRV. Am I confused here?
Old 07-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The CRV requires you to make sure you "get" to Neutral directly from the D Position Not from R. I think the limit is 8 hours towing between cycling the CRV transmission. I think I would do that even if the manual did not call for it.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #10

Dmiles, It really doesn't matter, I suppose on the whys. A Honda dealer had told me the reason from Drive to Neutral and not from Reverse had something to do with the internals of the transmission. Getting fluid through forward gears sounds good also. For me, the Honda people say do it so I do. Pls don't tell wife I am following instructions.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRohrers View Post
Dmiles, Pls don't tell wife I am following instructions.
Your secret is safe with me...we gotta stick together on that one. If she finds out I follow directions when it comes to the motor home, she'll be expecting me to do it all the time!