Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #15

Besides when you put all your crap I the fit which you will do weight goes up quickly.
Gemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
We bought a 2012 Honda Fit automatic in Feb this year. The owner’s manual we received with it gave us instructions for towing behind our motor home. We use a Roadmaster base plate; tow bar and Invisi brake. We towed it about 6000 miles this summer with no problems.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Honda fit with invisabrake

I'm wondering where you put the control box for the invisabrake I don't think it will fit under front seat of the Honda Fit or back seat. I would like to use this system but don't want the box in the way.
Thanks for any help
ScottTuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #18

Towing a Fit

Scott we tow a 2009 Honda Fit Sport behind or Phoenix Cruiser 2551, on the E450 chassis. It was a great choice because it is so light, our only concern is that the sport has a lower road clearance, so you need to watch for things in road that might lodge under the auto, once the motorhome passes over it.

Our model is a flat tow (it is an automatic) , look at the manual to confirm that it tows well. This summer we put some 7,000 miles on the motor home and had no issues. you hardly know it is there. We put all sorts of crap in the Fit like bikes, etc.

We use the blue ox tow bar, and i have SMI all in one braking system. The blue ox we ordered from a company in Oregon (see my web page ourphoenixcruiserrv.com for more information on the purchase) for about $1,000 inclusive of front bar. I installed myself, fits well. It fits under the dash with the vacuum unit under the hood. I had an installer that was recommended by SMI install, i made sure they had some experience with the install. The original unit did not work, and the second unit was in a larger housing. This install is not one you want to do yourself.

We selected the SMI because it is out of the way and uses a vacuum to activate the brake. The break system senses when it is no longer needed and releases so the system makes us feel quite safe. Had one incidence on the road when i was glad i had this system when we had to stop at 65 mph when a dodo pulled out in front of the bride. The break and installation was about $2,000. I activate it with a switch, nothing to remove. It takes us less than 1.5 minute to hook up and unhook this is a great combination.

Do you need more?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
SMI braking system

Gemontana thanks for the info. I also have a fit sport automatic that is towable 4 down. I've also been looking at the stay in play duo from SMI. Can you tell me where you mounted the on/off switch and also the LED light that tells you the system is working. Is that LED switch easy to see in your camera. I saw a video of it installed on the tow bar, but some people have it on the cars rear view mirror. The Roadmaster Invisibrake system works the same as SMI but has a LED that goes inside your coach and also and audible alarm for the brake. The control unit for the toad is bigger and is mounted inside the car, usually under the drivers seat. No room under the Fit seat, so hoping someone who used this system could tell me where the mounted their control unit.
Scott
ScottTuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
On our 2012 Honda fit the invis brake fits under the front seat and is out of the way.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The tight dimensions in the Fit caused me to look for something other than the SMI Stay & Play. I decided it was too much work so I went with the RVi brake. The RVi is a small brake in a box that sits perfectly on the Fit's floor.

After 5000 miles this Fall, I'm perfectly happy with the RVi.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 AM   #22

Follow on SMI all in one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottTuma View Post
I've also been looking at the stay in play duo from SMI. Can you tell me where you mounted the on/off switch and also the LED light that tells you the system is working. Is that LED switch easy to see in your camera. I saw a video of it installed on the tow bar, but some people have it on the cars rear view mirror. Scott
The switch is just above where you typically find a brake release, on the driver side next to the front door, it is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. The mechanical part of the brake is mounted somewhere on the firewall, can't see it at all, only the cable that pulls the brake. The control box is in the engine compartment just behind the bonnet latch.

I have a direct connect wire in the MH to a light that signals when the brake is being applied -- interesting sometimes does not activate when you would expect that braking is not needed -- that is to the left of the MH steering wheel, and it is easily seen. There is a light on the mirror of the Fit for the same purpose, but even though i have moved it a couple of times, it just cannot be seen except at night and even then, the glow of the tail lights just about hides it.

What is interesting is that i frequently forget to turn off the switch when we are at the next, and we don't drive the Fit when at home very much but the battery in the Fit has never run down while it sits.

Hope this helps.

Greg
Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc View Post
The manual for the 2012 Fit I looked at does not recommend it for recreational towing. Concerned about warranty issues if I towed I ended up getting a 2012 Focus with Manual xmission, which described in the manual how to recreationally tow.
Honda themselves specifically says the Fit with either stick or automatic is towable four down when you follow their instructions in the owners manual.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
I would never tow a car without a brake system. However, a number of states use 3000 lbs as their cutoff weight. At 2700 lbs, the Fit would not technically need supplemental brakes.

I still believe that a responsible driver will want to use a brake system but there are still die hards out there who don't think they need it.
But again, if you tow through ANY state that requires brakes on a towed then you must be legal there no matter what your home state requires. There is no reciprocity on equipment requirements.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have also bought a 2012 Honda Fit. I had a 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara but with very few dealers in the US supporting this product (and not much better in Canada) I decided to take my losses and trade it in on the Honda. I'm a bit disappointed with my mileage on the first tank of fuel. They are rated at 52 mpg highway (imperial gal) so I expected 40 and got 34. For a 1.5 ltr engine that is bad.

I had a Demco base plate on the Suzuki (it was on the vehicle when I bought it and was the main reason I bought it) and a Demco tow bar. I am going to install a Roadmaster base plate with a Roadmaster to Demco adapter on the Honda. I decided to go RM because I like the quality of the product and also their support. I also like their Guardian rock shield and Tow Defender protector and both will attach to the RM base plate/quick disconnect adapter. I am using the RVi brake and so far am happy with it. I installed a Toad Charger and will use a TrailerMate custom tail light wiring kit. I chose it over the Tow Daddy because it has provisions for plugging in a trailer wiring harness which TD does not.
I am going to do the installations myself so if anyone has any suggestions please tell me. One of my concerns is removing the front shroud from around the headlights so I don't break any tabs.
By the way I am ordering all my parts from etrailer because they are always so helpful and pleasant to deal with.

Regards, Moe
moejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Moe,
Removing the front facia is not too bad as long as you don't get in a hurry. Possibly the trickiest part is the clips under the headlights. I would suggest you use a putty knife to slowly open the clips and pull the facia away at the same time. You really don't need to open them too far to slide the facia out - in fact, just barely open them up.

For those of you who think the Fit is too low: I've driven ours 5000 mi and towed it 5000 mi and have never run into an issue. My MH has factory installed mud guards and I installed an Ultraguard as well. No knicks, dings, or damage noted.

Fuel mileage has been from expected to fantastic. Yesterday, I took a trip to the Eastern shore of Maryland - 44 mpg going out, 41 mpg overall (US gallons). Drove at or slightly above the speed limit the whole way for a total of 320 miles. No complaints from me.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #27

We bought a Blue Ox plate and the tow bar from a company on the internet and west cost (oregon) with shipping was under $1,000. We have the sport and the clearance is low so you need to watch out for things like folded truck tire treads. If you want their name, let me know.

The wiring was complex, i ran the wiring for the lights though a 2" grommet on the passenger side and under the door panels to the back lights, the connections for the light are tight but we just added a three inch wire to each wire which gave us some play to get a good connection in a very small place. Some of the youtube discussion show the wiring going under the auto. We choose to go though the grommet. You should note tha the grommet on the firewall is where one of the main wire harness pass, it has to membranes we just took a narrow knife and slit the grommet though both sides in one pass then inserted a starter wire and then pulled the wire though, have someone hold the inside of th grommet or it will pop out and it is a bear to repave.

The instructions on mounting the safety cables between the chassis and the plate are not correct and you need to really thing that through, remembering that there are things that have to go back over it. We had to redo twice to the safety chains hidden but secure. Used severl tie baks to keep out of way of grill and lights.

We also screwed up an missed the purpose for two spacer metals. They were in the bottom of the box are aboubt 1 1/2" square and go between the base plate and chassis where the connect. We did not notice until lock tight was set. the impact was that when we but base plate it moved the chassis mounts to where the bumper did not fit, had to redrill two holes to allow the parts to fit.

I will say this if there is an exact fit, you have done something wrong the accuracy of the fit on the blue ox is surprising.

Cutting the plastic out of the grill requires a bit more aggressive attach than identify din the manual.

You will destroy a number of the plastic grommets when you extract, so you will need to get some if you want to button it up tightly.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #28

I tow a Honda CRV EX and my manual saids that I should not exceed 65 mph, and not limited to distance......I had a Suzuki Vitara 4x4 and the manual said not to exceed 55 mph and had to stop every 200 miles and run the engine.
There are restrictions to some towed vehicle.....
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing