Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
I also have a 2012 honda fit sport auto transmission and the manual gives you the procedure on page 156 on how to tow 4 down. I was wondering if there could be some confusion with the first line on page 159 towing a trailer behind the Honda is not the same as towing the Honda.
Towing a Trailer
Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your
warranties.
Scott
ScottTuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #44

I'm sorry I no longer have my FIT owners manual to quote the "do not tow" statement. My CRV has the exact quote you stated to be towed. There was no misunderstanding on anyones part. As you can imagine, the dealer was not happy to return all of my money even though he made more from me on the CRV. It does appear some 2012's are towable and some are not. Go figure!
cycletwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycletwo View Post
I'm sorry I no longer have my FIT owners manual to quote the "do not tow" statement. My CRV has the exact quote you stated to be towed. There was no misunderstanding on anyones part. As you can imagine, the dealer was not happy to return all of my money even though he made more from me on the CRV. It does appear some 2012's are towable and some are not. Go figure!
A mechanic told me the deciding factor in whether a vehicle can be towed 4 down is whether the lube pump is driven from the input or output shaft of the transmission. If it is on the input side, it only pumps when the engine is running. If it is on the output side, it pumps whenever the wheels are turning. If 2012 FIT's were built with both transmission types, that is a major change in design.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #46

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
A mechanic told me the deciding factor in whether a vehicle can be towed 4 down is whether the lube pump is driven from the input or output shaft of the transmission. If it is on the input side, it only pumps when the engine is running. If it is on the output side, it pumps whenever the wheels are turning. If 2012 FIT's were built with both transmission types, that is a major change in design.
Well known fact, same for manual trans units. They are splash lubed, if from the output shaft then OK to tow, from the input then no lube unless the engine is running.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #47

Quote:
I have only read about one 2012 Honda Fit being not towable and that is the one you bought. There may be others but I have not seen them.

A search for 2012 Honda Fit Owners Manual has only provided one edition so far and that has the same language (page 159) as the other model years that allow towing behind a Motorhome. If some 2012 models were different there should be a corresponding different edition of the Owners Manual.

Without some documentation to the contrary it appears both the dealer and the Honda rep mislead you.
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacrc46 View Post
It is entirely possible they misconstrued what you were asking or they heard towing and stopped listening. The Fit cannot tow anything but can be towed behind a Motorhome. The owners manual is consistent on this subject and no one has provided any language to the contrary.

Copied from the Owners Manual:

Towing Your Vehicle
Your vehicle can be towed behind a motorhome.
Perform the following procedure before towing your vehicle.
1. Check the transmission fluid level.
u Make sure the fluid level is between the upper and lower marks.
2. Start the engine.
3. Depress the brake pedal. Move the shift lever through all its positions.
4. Shift to (D and hold for five seconds, then to (N. Let the engine run for three
minutes, then turn it off.
5. Release the parking brake.
6. Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (q.
u Make sure the steering wheel does not lock.
7. Turn off all the electric devices. Do not use any accessory power sockets.
u This can prevent the battery from running down.
To ALL who have provided input/comment to my entry saying you CANNOT tow the FIT: I just returned from my dealer (Gerald Jones Honda of Augusta, GA) and spoke with the General Sales Manager. He remembered my situation and returning my FIT to buy an SUV. After relaying all of the (Great!) info I learned from this site, he got a 2012 Owners Manual and we both saw, on p. 159, that the FIT is definitely towable flat 4. After picking myself up from the ground, I proceeded to let him know, in as tactful a manner as I could muster, how the misinformation resulted in a $4 K additional expense to me. He agreed his dealership gave me bad information and that Honda Corps also gave him (and me), bad information. I went home and immediately called Honda Service Tech Support (1-800-999-1009). The rep pulled up my file and she discovered the previous rep had, indeed, made and error when telling me the FIT was not towable. That rep read the information about Emergency Towing on page 264 and passed that on to me. I can only assume they did the same thing when speaking with the dealer. The rep also told me there was no modification to the owners manual for the 2012 FIT which leaves me wondering where I read my information to begin with. I hope this explanation clearifies my previous posts on this topic and I hope my posts did not adversly affect anyone from buying a FIT. I am enjoying my CRV but I do miss my FIT. Safe motoring to everyone.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm glad you took the time to pursue this with Honda. Since their errors forced (or at least coerced) you into buying a more expensive vehicle, have you asked for any compensation from the dealer or the company? I would think that they should be offering you something for your time and aggravation.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
It amazes me that sales people are so uninformed about the products they sell, it's not like Honda has this huge products line. I must say my salesman was quite knowledgeable about the the Fits ability to be towed. He told me they had some problems with it but it was always due to owners not following the recommended procedure. I'm sorry you had to go through this, but happy to know you got to the bottom of it. I'm sure the dealer and Honda will be giving you some compensation, free maintenance perhaps!
Scott 2012 Fit, Winnebago View.
ScottTuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #51

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
To ALL who have provided input/comment to my entry saying you CANNOT tow the FIT: I just returned from my dealer (Gerald Jones Honda of Augusta, GA) and spoke with the General Sales Manager. He remembered my situation and returning my FIT to buy an SUV. After relaying all of the (Great!) info I learned from this site, he got a 2012 Owners Manual and we both saw, on p. 159, that the FIT is definitely towable flat 4. After picking myself up from the ground, I proceeded to let him know, in as tactful a manner as I could muster, how the misinformation resulted in a $4 K additional expense to me. He agreed his dealership gave me bad information and that Honda Corps also gave him (and me), bad information. I went home and immediately called Honda Service Tech Support (1-800-999-1009). The rep pulled up my file and she discovered the previous rep had, indeed, made and error when telling me the FIT was not towable. That rep read the information about Emergency Towing on page 264 and passed that on to me. I can only assume they did the same thing when speaking with the dealer. The rep also told me there was no modification to the owners manual for the 2012 FIT which leaves me wondering where I read my information to begin with. I hope this explanation clearifies my previous posts on this topic and I hope my posts did not adversly affect anyone from buying a FIT. I am enjoying my CRV but I do miss my FIT. Safe motoring to everyone.
Thank you for following up on this. I like this part. (After picking myself up from the ground, I proceeded to let him know, in as tactful a manner as I could muster, how the misinformation resulted in a $4 K additional expense to me. He agreed his dealership gave me bad information and that Honda Corps also gave him (and me), bad information.) That tactful part should get you someting from the Dealer and Honda.
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #52

In a perfect world, I would receive more compensation than, "I'm sorry". However, I did not press the issue maybe because I was in a depression after learning the correct information. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks to all for the CORRECT information.

Tags
towing