Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #1

Towing a Honda fit, have some questions

the Motor home is a 2000 Bounder 39Z DP, Toad is a 2008 Honda Fit with automatic transmission plan to tow 4 down.

Using a Falcon all terrain Tow bar, with a Invisi Brake.

Have studied the Honda owners manual, understand the the engine start procedures.

There is one question I have, in what position do you leave the sifter in? neutral. Drive or park
DogHouse Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
As per the Owner's Manual, pg 173-4, "Shift to D position and hold for 5
seconds, then to N. Let the engine
run for 3 minutes, then turn it off.
"

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p.../AAA0808OM.pdf

Park position will lock the wheels. Drive will leave the wheels engaged, perhaps turning components that aren't lubed without the engine running. Leave it in Neutral, after doing the procedure to prepare it for towing each morning.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #3
Community Moderator

your setup is almost the same as mine, except my fit is 2010 and my coach is a country coach. very easy to set up and tow.

when engine is cold, start engine, move shifter to every position before move to D. let the engine run for a minute, then shift to N. run idle for 3 minutes, then to turn off the engine. at this position, you can not pull out key. just leave the key there and you are good to go.

when engine is hot, you don't need to idle for 3 minutes at N.

one caution is - when you are at N, there is no gear or parking engaged. i normally hook up toad first, then go through the procedure as above mentioned.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I think every thing is ready to roll I have my wife go back by the toad and watch all the wheels turning while I pull forward slowly.

It's very easy to pull a toad with the wheels locked up.

CountryFit brought up a good point. Hook it up before you put it in neutral.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #5

2X what others have posted on the procedure. One big recommendation is to put together a checklist and use it. One mistake can cause considerable damage or injury. Include procedures such as having the towed vehicle in Park with the parking brake set any time you are hooking up or disconnecting the toad. It is easy to get into bad habits that work in your level driveway and then experience the awful sensation that goes with seeing your toad roll away.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #6

We purchased a 2013 Honda Fit for our second car and tow vehicle. We love it and it's the best choice for us for these two roles. Here are a few suggestions:
1) Print the tow instructions for towing auto transmissions (page 159 in 2013 manual) and follow it every time you prepare to tow.
2) Before I drive away I always double check that the Fit is in neutral, parking brake is off, and ignition is in accessory.
3) It is a great idea to read everything you can find on Fit towing from these forums, but use this information to help you further understand the checklist in the manual. I've been reading through this topic this morning and have found at least three places where folks are offering their misinterpretations of the procedure. So, read for learning, but follow the procedure from the manual.
4) I travel using both sets of keys for the Fit. One must be left in the ignition. The other I use to lock and unlock the door. When I make a rest stop, I want the doors locked.
5) Have the significant other stand by the vehicle and ensure the wheels are spinning freely. You can also have them check that all the lights on the Fit are working.
pattaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, tow, towing