Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Towing a Hybrid

Hello all, I am looking at buying a Ford Fusion and I am wondering if anyone has flat towed one, or any Hybird, and what all is involved in doing so? The dealer has never heard of one being towed but that does not surprise me.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have flat towed a 2008 Escape Hybrid for about 33,000 miles with no problems at all. Just follow the instructions in your owners manual and you should be fine. For our Escape the basic instructions are to put the transmission in neutral and leave the key in the ingnition with the steering wheel unlocked. I had a non-computer chip key made that will turn the ingnition on and allow us to put the transmission in neutral but will not start the engine. This way we avoid the possibility of someone breaking a glass and stealing the car.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Remco Towing lists the 2011 Fusion Hybrid as "towable as is" and "follow procedures in owner manual".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Remco Towing lists the 2011 Fusion Hybrid as "towable as is" and "follow procedures in owner manual".
Thank you both. I should have checked with Remco. I know better. Again thank you.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
We have flat towed a 2008 Escape Hybrid for about 33,000 miles with no problems at all. Just follow the instructions in your owners manual and you should be fine. For our Escape the basic instructions are to put the transmission in neutral and leave the key in the ingnition with the steering wheel unlocked. I had a non-computer chip key made that will turn the ingnition on and allow us to put the transmission in neutral but will not start the engine. This way we avoid the possibility of someone breaking a glass and stealing the car.
Are you happy with the Escape and would you buy another one?

I have not had a car payment for over 10 years and I am a little bit shaky. I have pretty well narrowed it down to the Fusion or the Escape. The Escape is about 7 to 10 thousand higher. But if it is worth it then it is worth. Right???
Old 03-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer

I have not had a car payment for over 10 years and I am a little bit shaky. I have pretty well narrowed it down to the Fusion or the Escape. The Escape is about 7 to 10 thousand higher. But if it is worth it then it is worth. Right???
Also have an Escape hybrid and towed it at least 10k in the last three years and would certainly buy another with no reservations.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post

We are happy with the Escape but I never buy new cars. I purchase my Fords and motor homes through my cousin who is a Ford/Lincoln dealer and the last 3 SUVs that we have purchased have had a previous life of a rental car. I would not pay the 10k higher price for a Escape Hybrid. You don't get enough difference in mileage to warrent the higher price. The only reason we bought one is I was down to the last dealer auction before we left on our trip to Alaska in 2009 and I had to have something. The 2009 gas versions were having problems being towed 4 down and the Hybrids were not having any problems. Two 08 Hybrids were in the auction and I got one at a decent price. You might check out the new Ford Edge Hybrid. I understand the hybrid version is the same prices as the gas version. FYI, the Hybrid battery is about $10,000 to replace it but it comes with a 100,000 mile warranty so get rid of the car before 100,000 miles!!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Before I took a secondary opinion about towing, I would consult the owner's manual of the vehicle you want to tow. Even if some towing rag says you can tow it, it is ultimately the manufacturer that rules.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
texnet thank you for the heads up. The battery will give me something to ponder.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:18 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Towed mileage does not count :-)... it does not show up on the odometer.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
texnet have you ever heard of this company. HybridReVolt: Hybrid Battery Repair

I have read where they have replaced Toyota's battery pack for under $1500.00 with satisfied customers
Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, I have not heard of them, but then again we only have 50,000 on the 08 hybrid and I plan on selling it before it hits 100,000. If I don't then I might just need HybridReVolt!!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've been towing my wife's 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid since last
April. We've made a couple of long trips (from Michigan), one to Florida last spring and a summer trip to Colorado with no problems, except running the battery down and not having the extra key to get in the car. My wife's got that figured out (key position) so that's her job.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #14

We have a new Ford Escape Hybrid and tow, per manual instructions, without any troubles. Quick and easy. Have non-computer key which will not actually start the car and use that key to keep the steering unlocked