Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #1

Towing a jeep

An you tow a vehicle with an automatic transmission as long as it has 4wd?
Thanks
Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are always qualifiers on year and model, but the recent Jeeps with transfer cases, automatic and manual, are very towable four down. You will find many listings of Jeeps on signature lines on this forum.

Bob & Carolyn
2010 Coachman Mirada 34bh
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Rbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeyer View Post
There are always qualifiers on year and model, but the recent Jeeps with transfer cases, automatic and manual, are very towable four down. You will find many listings of Jeeps on signature lines on this forum.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Jeep toads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
An you tow a vehicle with an automatic transmission as long as it has 4wd?
Thanks
Tom
That is a very broad question, but here goes...

You can tow almost any Jeep CJ, automatic or not (requires a transfer case for auto)

You can tow amost any Jeep Wrangler, Auto or Manual (transfer case)

As for a Jeep Cherokees, Jeep Wagoneers....I think so but not my area of experience.

I've towed Jeeps many of miles and they are one of the easiest toads ever made, and they are fun overall.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Save the questions.......two words Range Rover.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The key is: the transfer case has to have a neutral position. Many of the electronically controlled cases do not, you simply hit a button to select what you want.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
That is a very broad question, but here goes... You can tow almost any Jeep CJ, automatic or not (requires a transfer case for auto) You can tow amost any Jeep Wrangler, Auto or Manual (transfer case) As for a Jeep Cherokees, Jeep Wagoneers....I think so but not my area of experience. I've towed Jeeps many of miles and they are one of the easiest toads ever made, and they are fun overall.

So any early model jeep? Say 1990's say manual transmission or any jeep with a neutral in the transmission , (is that what I am reading?). I don't think I can purchase a late model jeep, some are $20,000.

Thanks
Tom
Old 11-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Jeep makes many models. If you are asking about mid 90s Wranglers it does not matter whether they are auto or manual. The transfer case (very few Jeeps not 4wd) in a 4wd model allows you to make the drive gear free wheel and be towable easily. Some Jeep Wagonneers had an all wheel drive system called Quadratrac which I don't believe can be towed wheels down. If the particular Jeep you are looking at has a lever on the floor for the Transfer Case, it can be towed. If you look at one of the SUV types of a Jeep with an electronic shift knob, then you need to check into it more thoroughly.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
So any early model jeep? Say 1990's say manual transmission or any jeep with a neutral in the transmission , (is that what I am reading?). I don't think I can purchase a late model jeep, some are $20,000.

Thanks
Tom
Tom222,
Some of these answers, while having good intentions, are off base by quite a bit. The "CJ" models, while can be towed for short distances, are not intended to be flat towed for longer runs. The transfer case on those, (which there were many) is not properly setup in terms of lubing while towing, namely the model 300). You can tow a CJ WITHOUT DISCONNECTING ANY DRIVE SHAFTS if certain precautions are taken. Since most CJs have what's called "Manual hubs" (hubs that you have to manually select "in" or, "out" of gear, in the front, then the same hubs, can be installed in the rear for the same effect. Then a CJ can be towed for a zillion miles without issues.

Or, a CJ can be flat towed if, you stop about every 100-200 miles and start the engine and run the trans through the gears while the transfer case is still in neutral. That will splash oil around, inside the transfer case, lubing critical bearing surfaces. Some have actually disassembled those transfer cases and welded "fins" on certain rotational parts to splash oil while it's being towed. A serious pain in the a..

As for the "YJs", those are the ones with the square headlights, the early models used the same engine and transfer case as the CJs. The later ones, starting in '91 for the 6 cyl models, went with the 4.0 6 cyl engine and, a newer model transfer case called the "231". That transfer case has a built in "lube pump" attached to the rear output shaft, just inside the rear seal. It's a very thin, rotary vein pump that picks up the oil (incidentally, that oil is ATF in those models) and pumps it to critical area/components.

The next in the lineup is the "TJ". Those are the newer style that went back to round headlights but, there was a seriously better and way more comfortable suspension change in them. All previous Jeeps (as in wrangler types, not Cherokees etc.) used leaf springs for suspension. The TJs, have a totally re-designed suspension that utilizes coil springs. Waaaaaaaay better in ride and off road quality.

Those units, the TJs, still utilized the model 231 transfer case until the model called the "Rubicon" was created. That model had a transfer case designed specifically for them. It's called the "242OR". It's better designed and has a low range of 4:1 instead of the higher gear 2.6:1 version 231. But, it can also be flat towed.

The latest in the Jeep series, the "JK" are all flat towable without issues. I don't have experience in any of those models so, you're on your own with that model. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
As Fire Up said, the TJ's were a much better riding vehicle than the YJ and CJ. Not sure where your from, but I would thing you could find a decent TJ for 8 to 10K.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
As Fire Up said, the TJ's were a much better riding vehicle than the YJ and CJ. Not sure where your from, but I would thing you could find a decent TJ for 8 to 10K.
Yep, the TJs do ride and handle quite a bit better. Now, depending on just what your plans are for using that Jeep, other than towing and basic transportation, there are a few models available. The most expensive and, the best Jeep ever produced, right "out of the box" is the Jeep Rubicon. They have the best setup and are the most well suited for real good, quality off roading. But, if your plans don't include serious off roading, but will include mild trail riding and back roads exploring, just about any other model will work just fine. The "X" model is one of the cheapest versions.

While it's a very basic model, it is still flat towable and you'll have fun in mild off road conditions. Personally I'd shy away from the 4 cylinder models, they can't get out of their own way. They are severely handicapped for street driving and, I'm not even sure they installed 4 cylinders in TJs. Good luck.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote