Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #1

Towing a Jeep

Thinking of buying a new 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for toad and rigging rv for four down towing......I'm sure this has been beat to death but need some comments from the veterans out there since I am new to this..what is the best system, i.e. Blue Ox, etc, how much is a reasonable amount to spend, combined, for all equipment and installation, how long does the job take for an experienced installer, and finally.....I know the toad needs a base plate specific to that vehicle, what exactly is done to the rv itself?......forgive my ignorance Any add ons recommended beyond the usual towbar, baseplate, etc?thanks in advance!!
Tennreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #2

def beaten to death... here's my setup, post 17.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep-...-147201-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
One thing about cooltech harness... from what I remember reading. If the blinkers/hazards are on and you are stepping on the brakes... the brakes over-ride the blinkers. I did not like that...

Here is my setup:

1. Readybrute Elite with tow bar surge brake indicator on dash of MH
2. Extra Brake wiring for the Jeeps' brake indicator on dash of MH, like the surge brake indicator, it uses power from the MH.
3. Readybrake Breakaway System
4. Mopar Harness... Isolates electrical from Jeep/MH, power is strictly from MH. None of the blinkers/hazard/brakes over-ride each other. No, electrical backfeeding to the Jeep.
5. Curry Baseplate/skidplate.... it is a Jeep after-all.

Pros:
1. Simple Philosophy, surge brakes, have indication for brakes on tow bar and tow vehicle. Used extra brake light limit switch for the Jeep brake indication light.
2. Mopar harness is behind the grill. No need to mount plugs. cables on mounting plate. Mounting disconnect plugs is not necessary. Curry baseplate has 2 function: Skid plate and baseplate. It also keep the look of the Jeep clean... so, when offroading, you wont risk damaging light harness or breakaway plugs.... it is a jeep afterall.
3. Has emergency cable as well as breakaway system.
4. Easy to hook/unhook.

Cons:
1. Lots of wire run from the back/front of MH for brake feedback indication.
2. Mopar cable requires, drilling a hole of about @1.5" through the firewall and running the cable inside the plastic R-front wheel well to behind the front grill.
3. When the breakaway system is deployed... you wont have an indication. Unless you have a back-up camera or something else.
4. Installation is labor intensive due to baseplate mounting and cutting and filing for good fitment to the jeep

If you want a nice clean setup... I recommend the setup I have. It is an easy install but labor intensive. If you have the time, its worth the effort.
some pics...

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennreo View Post
Thinking of buying a new 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for toad and rigging rv for four down towing......I'm sure this has been beat to death but need some comments from the veterans out there since I am new to this..what is the best system, i.e. Blue Ox, etc, how much is a reasonable amount to spend, combined, for all equipment and installation, how long does the job take for an experienced installer, and finally.....I know the toad needs a base plate specific to that vehicle, what exactly is done to the rv itself?......forgive my ignorance Any add ons recommended beyond the usual towbar, baseplate, etc?thanks in advance!!
We use a Roadmaster Sterling towbar and baseplate system. The Sterling has been replaced by the Sterling All Terrain. The only real difference between the 2 is that the All Terrain has a slightly different locking mechanism. The new mechanism allows the towed vehicle to be hooked up and unhooked easier when at an angle to the motorhome or at a different height. I like this particular towbar because all the wiring for the lights and the safety cables run through built in channels. There's little chance of dragging anything on the road, and it all stores neatly under a cover when not in use.

If you have a gas motorhome a braking system for the Jeep is a necessity. All gas chassis manufacturers strongly recommend a braking system for anything being towed that weighs over 1,500 lbs.

There are many systems on the market. We use a Roadmaster Brakemaster system. There's only a small air cylinder to install and remove. We chose it primarily because it's truly proportional and doesn't take up much space. There are now others like Air Force I and the M&G system that take up even less space. Depending on the systems you choose you could do as little to the coach as hooking the towbar into the trailer hitch, and pluging the wiring harness into the trailer socket.

Be sure to read your motorhome owners manual before purchasing anything. Some manufacturers do not recommend surge style braking systems.

Our system complete (towbar, baseplates, wiring harness of lights, & braking system) was about $1,700.00. If you have to hire someone to install everything you could spend considerably more. Fortunately most manufacturers have good installation instructions for the DIY.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #4

toad

since I,m not handy I hired it done and glad I did. Got Blue OX with Air Force one brakes for a DP pulling a jeep wrangler. Cost $4600 parts and labor took 1 day

Jim
jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #5

We have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It tows great. Roadmaster Black Hawk tow bar takes about a minute to hook/unhook. We have the SMI Stay n Play brake system that is installed in the jeep engine compartment. Works great, just flip a switch to turn it on and go. I would buy all again if needed.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Here is my setup,

Old 02-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
This works too and its cheap!!

Smittybilt Part 87450 - Jeep Tow Bar-RH1
This towbar says that it only fits smittybilt bumpers, but look at the directions it will fit any flat surface.

Roadmaster Tail Light Wiring Kit with Bulbs Roadmaster Tow Bar Wiring RM-155

and it only cost $200
Thor 37GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Does anybody have any pictures of a Blue Ox base plate installed on a Wrangler? Trying to decide between that and a Currie baseplate. It will be going on a 2014 Rubicon.

Have decided to use the Mopar harness for the lights.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #9

Tennreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbburgess View Post
We have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It tows great. Roadmaster Black Hawk tow bar takes about a minute to hook/unhook. We have the SMI Stay n Play brake system that is installed in the jeep engine compartment. Works great, just flip a switch to turn it on and go. I would buy all again if needed.
Can you give me an idea of the cost for your setup.....did you do it yourself or pay to have it done?.....thanks
Tennreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
Does anybody have any pictures of a Blue Ox base plate installed on a Wrangler? Trying to decide between that and a Currie baseplate. It will be going on a 2014 Rubicon.

Have decided to use the Mopar harness for the lights.

Steve
Steve, I am in the process of installing the Blue Ox plate and Mopar harness on my 2014 Sahara. I have attached the pdf installation guide which has some pictures of the finished product.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BX1126.pdf (1.60 MB, 76 views)
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Another approach....We're towing a 2013 Wrangler Sport behind a gas Class A using the RoadMaster basic towbar that looks a lot like the Smitty Bilt referrenced above. It is a bar that does not stay on the RV when you disconnect. So we either remove it from the front of the Jeep or fold it upward in place on the Jeep and hold it in place with bungee cords that go to the mid-mounted hood brackets. We have the RoadMaster Baseplate(s). The RVI 2 brake system....works great (it also has a remote in coach monitor and a bumper mounted breakaway switch)....and we use separate add-on rear towing lights for brake lights and turn signals (that are plugged into wires we ran going forward through the Jeep chassis and that is then plugged into the four pin electrical plug from the motorhome). I'm quite sure we don't have $2,000 in the entire setup and it has worked great for the first 4500+ miles. Bottom line....there are any number of ways to set up your toad. You'll eventually find something that seems right for your needs. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:55 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
Steve, I am in the process of installing the Blue Ox plate and Mopar harness on my 2014 Sahara. I have attached the pdf installation guide which has some pictures of the finished product.
corvettec3 ... thanks for the install guide. When you get done with yours ... can you post a couple of shots from the side and front as well? I am just trying to get a better feel for how it looks and how far down it hangs.

Also how do you plan to end the lighting harness in the front? Does it come with a cover to keep water and dirt out of the connector end?

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:43 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
corvettec3 ... thanks for the install guide. When you get done with yours ... can you post a couple of shots from the side and front as well? I am just trying to get a better feel for how it looks and how far down it hangs.

Also how do you plan to end the lighting harness in the front? Does it come with a cover to keep water and dirt out of the connector end?

Steve
Steve, the Mopar harness has a waterproof cap on the end. The installation guide shows the harness tied just inside one of the slot openings in the grill. I am going to look at an alternative location as I would rather see it exit out the bottom somewhere. It is quite a bit of work to install the harness as the right fender has to be removed. I have attached the pdf installation guide.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 293-82211156ab.pdf (650.6 KB, 75 views)
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #14

I tow one with a Blue Ox tow bar/base plate and a Roadmaster Even Brake. The JK is a bit heavy, but it is lighter than my WK2. Cool thing about the JK is that I only tow it to the mountains. I tow the Jeep GC to the flatlands.

Bill
dubdub07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing