Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #1

Towing a Jeep

wanting to tow a 2006 jeep unlimited with a 2001 35' winnebago what should i look for braking requirements, and easy hookup, are brakes required? and what is a good tow bar to use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #2

Don't know if toad brakes are required in Oregon or not but many states require them and good idea to have toad brakes anyway just for your safety.

Several brands of equipment available. I use Blue Ox tow bar and the Blue Ox Patriot braking system. You will also need some sort of brake light modification. I ordered mine out from e-trailer.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #3

supplemental braking requirements vary state by state, but even if the law doesn't require, its a good idea to have them. the majority of states require them if the towed vehicle is over 3000 lbs. Your Jeep is a fairly light vehicle but still over the 3000 lb threshold, The simplest solution is a Brake Buddy type box that sits in between the driver seat and brake pedal, and runs off a 12vdc cig lighter socket. The brake sys should also include a break away device.
BlueOx and RoadMaster are the 2 primary towbar manufactures, each requires a base plate specific to your vehicle and the towbar mfg. You'll also need some type of light kit to make sure the toad brake lights come on when you're stopping or turning.
The Jeep Wrangler is a very common and popular towed vehicle, so the parts are readily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie j View Post
wanting to tow a 2006 jeep unlimited with a 2001 35' winnebago what should i look for braking requirements, and easy hookup, are brakes required? and what is a good tow bar to use.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie j View Post
First: Are brakes required... I have seen where companies like US-Gear claim that brakes on the towed can reduce emergency (Panic stop) Stopping distance as much as 30%, so no matter what the state law says. CIVIL law says you are better off WITH a braking system that includes your towed..

What to buy:

IF you are full timing and plan on towing the towed often, as I do, Ready Brute with Ready Brake is an intergrated tow bar/brake system, Add a tow light system (Diode kit) and you are good to tow. Provided your jeep is towable that is (Not all are now days).

The Ready brake is a surge brake system, but it uses a Sleeved cable (Same as the shifter cable on my bicycle which is once again in need of replacement) these can size up and cost you a brake job if not used often (WHY i need to re-do the bike)

SO it needs to be used.. But this system is basically automatic everything once set up (Poroprtional, progressive, meaning it only brakes the jeep as much as the jeep needs braking and the harder you stand on the brakes the harder it pulls on them.)

Next: If you do not full time or tow often.. Diesel Motor home with Air Brakes,, M&G systems fit most jeeps and are invisible to the driver of the jeep, they work with the motor home system. Very easy hook up , once installed you never see it again (less you look)

Gas motor home (no air brakes) US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator gives the driver of the motor home the most control over the Jeep's brakes of any system out there. IT ALSO INCLUDES A "TOWED CHARGE" lead so it keeps the Jeep's battery happy.

Those are the ones I suggest.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
First: Are brakes required... I have seen where companies like US-Gear claim that brakes on the towed can reduce emergency (Panic stop) Stopping distance as much as 30%, so no matter what the state law says. CIVIL law says you are better off WITH a braking system that includes your towed..

What to buy:

IF you are full timing and plan on towing the towed often, as I do, Ready Brute with Ready Brake is an intergrated tow bar/brake system, Add a tow light system (Diode kit) and you are good to tow. Provided your jeep is towable that is (Not all are now days).

The Ready brake is a surge brake system, but it uses a Sleeved cable (Same as the shifter cable on my bicycle which is once again in need of replacement) these can size up and cost you a brake job if not used often (WHY i need to re-do the bike)

SO it needs to be used.. But this system is basically automatic everything once set up (Poroprtional, progressive, meaning it only brakes the jeep as much as the jeep needs braking and the harder you stand on the brakes the harder it pulls on them.)

Next: If you do not full time or tow often.. Diesel Motor home with Air Brakes,, M&G systems fit most jeeps and are invisible to the driver of the jeep, they work with the motor home system. Very easy hook up , once installed you never see it again (less you look)

Gas motor home (no air brakes) US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator gives the driver of the motor home the most control over the Jeep's brakes of any system out there. IT ALSO INCLUDES A "TOWED CHARGE" lead so it keeps the Jeep's battery happy.

Those are the ones I suggest.
X2 Ready Brute/Ready Brake combo with Roadmaster TB. Towed vehicle tails lights, turn & brake lights work off of the MH electrics & diodes.
dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
If you have an air brake system I recommend these guys: M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page They make systems for jeeps and the sweet thing about them is that all you have to do is plug in the air line and the power cord for the back lights and you are set and down the road. We have one on our toad for the last 4.5 yrs and have had zero problems with it.
Good Luck
Old 09-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, weight 5300# and have an RViBrake

RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System

It really works great. I like the fact that you can easily switch it to another car in less than 5 minutes.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also use the RVi2 breaking system. They are a great company to work with. I had to replace all the brakes on my car at 12000 miles. It was warranty work but I immediately was worried about the RVi brake system. I called them and told them my problem. I explained that it was a warranty repair this time but if it was the brake system we were looking at a big issue. The customer service guy called me back the next day and said they had found someone in their shop with a very similar vehicle to mine. ( GMC Yukon versus my Buick Enclave) and had spent the entire day trying to duplicate the problem but could not do it. They made a couple of suggestions on setup and told me that if it happened out of warranty and it was their system they would pay for the new brakes. It happened again at about 24000 mile when I took the car back to buick they found the brake pedal had been installed wrong and was causing the problem. The RVi system had not caused the problem but the company made sure it was not them and offered to stand behind their product.

Your jeep should have a receiver hitch for towing. In order to stay away from using diodes and modifying the brakes on my enclave. I bought a piece of 2 inch steel tubing then welded some light wall steel tubing on to that in order to make a T I put LED brake/tail lights on each end of the T and drilled the appropriate hole in the 2 inch tubing in order to make it fit in the receiver hitch. When the dealer installed my tow bar based plates they installed a 6 pin connector in the front of my car and ran the wiring back to my receiver hitch. Then I just added a 4 pin trailer connector on the T and the appropriate end on the wiring by the hitch. I bought a 7 pin to 6 pin ( the most expensive part of the whole thing) cable and was done. I can take the T out when I am not towing. When I want to use it I just put it in the hitch hook up the 4 pin connector and I am done on that end. It does not use any of the vehicle wiring system. The connector at the front takes the switched 12 volt wire in the 7 pin connector on the MH this wire goes to the battery to keep it charged while I am driving.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Also use the RVi Brake and really like it. Simple set up and removal, we have 2 toads so no added expense, and they are great people to work with. Had an issue with my Gen 1 unit and they took care of it with no questions asked. Upgraded to the new Gen 2 unit for only $100 and got a new warranty and all of the benefits of the new design.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have read that even in the FEW states that do not require aux. braking systems, you insurance company might decline to pay if you hit someone and do not have one. Your coach braking would be marginal without an aux. braking system. GET A SYSTEM INSTALLED!

I use Roadmaster for my entire system. I know Roadmaster is 100% US made. I am not sure of the others. I chose Roadmaster because the tow bar was included with my used coach when I bought it. I would have considered Blue Ox, but the USA made is a big thing for me.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I have read that even in the FEW states that do not require aux. braking systems, you insurance company might decline to pay if you hit someone and do not have one. Your coach braking would be marginal without an aux. braking system. GET A SYSTEM INSTALLED!

I use Roadmaster for my entire system. I know Roadmaster is 100% US made. I am not sure of the others. I chose Roadmaster because the tow bar was included with my used coach when I bought it. I would have considered Blue Ox, but the USA made is a big thing for me.
USA made .......yep. Ready Brute systems made by NSA RV Products, Iola, KS:
RV Tow bars with Integrated ReadyBrake Surge Brake, Standard TowBars - NSA RV Products
They have a link to the RV towing laws on their home page.

dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing