Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towing a Jeep - Mopar, Best Lighting Option

I have a 2015 Jeep JK 4dr and I found what I believe to be the best lighting option. I was surprised the coach dealer didn't know about it so I'm sharing it here.

It's the Tow Vehicle Wiring Harness by Mopar.

http://www.mopar.com/part/82211156AB...=276282&b=jeep

This is a great option. It turns the Jeep's tail lights into trailer lights by unplugging a wiring harness and plugging each end into this kit. It then bypasses the vehicles lighting system and runs jeep's tail lights as a trailer lights even with the key off.

I highly recommend this option as I didn't want to void my warranty on the jeep, I prefer to install manufacturers kits when available and its even covered under my jeep factory warranty since its a Mopar part. I also wasn't a fan of running wiring and adding bulbs, sounds like a nightmare and just one more thing to go wrong. The kit lists for $178 and 1-2 hours install time.

pmgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #2

I have used the Cool Tech wiring harness for 3 years with no problem.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #3

I also use the Cool Tech harness. On my second one with no problems. I know a while back Mopar was having problems with some of their harness, hope they got it straight.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We used a Blue Ox light kit on our '15 Willys Wheeler. I didn't know Mopar even had a kit. The Blue Ox was plug and play and about the same price so no harm. It is a four wire instead of seven type but that is all we need.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #5

Our dealership new vehicle sales staff and parts counter staff were not aware that a Mopar harness existed when we first asked for one to be installed. We had learned about the Mopar toad wiring harness on this site and had it installed at the dealership before picking up our 2014 Sahara JK Unlimited. The kit comes with clear instructions for the dealership tradesman, including how to properly seal the entry hole in the firewall that must be made for the harness to pass through. I could not have installed it myself where it connects in the tight space under the glove box in three or four times the 1 hour 'flat rate' time that the tradesman is paid to do the work. We have found it very functional and quick to connect/disconnect. It even comes with a cap plug to seal the connector when not using the harness for towing.

The plus for us was no loss of factory warranty , full warranty on the wiring system and the Mopar Kit, and best of all, no crimp connectors added into your new vehicles exposed wiring to corrode and fail 'before their time'.

There are also Mopar 4 pin and 7 pin wiring harnesses to give the same warrantably if you choose to add a trailer towing wiring harness to a Jeep that did not come with a hitch and wiring from the factory.

Many thanks to those on this site who 'did the legwork' to educate us to the availability of these useful accessory kits. It is the route we will take again should we get another Jeep as a toad.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
new to towing toad

Just purchased parts to tow 2015 Jeep Wrangler JK, question is do I lock the steering and remove the keys or unlock steering with keys in the ignition?
Will be using RV brake 2 system for braking which needs power. Glad to have found that Mopar and Demco make a brake light harness system. I was originally going to mount lights on the rear bumper and wire to the front and plug into the 7 pin connector on the MH, but the wiring kits make sense.
Thanks for all the help this forum provides.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the center console outlet is "hot" all the time, even with the key off.
pmgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #8

DEMCO, Cool Tech are plug and play and you don't have to drill a hole in the firewall!!! If your dealer is going to void your warranty for adding a suplimental brake light harness, you need to find a new dealer.....

2015 center console is hot all the time, steering wheel does not lock. Pull the key and lock it up.
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is yet another advantage of the Mopar harness...

When you enable the left or right turn signal in the motorhome, and apply the brakes in the motorhome with enough force to engage supplemental braking in the Jeep, the turn signal is not overridden by the Jeep's brakes. That is a huge advantage.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTRIDER View Post
Just purchased parts to tow 2015 Jeep Wrangler JK, question is do I lock the steering and remove the keys or unlock steering with keys in the ignition?
Will be using RV brake 2 system for braking which needs power. Glad to have found that Mopar and Demco make a brake light harness system. I was originally going to mount lights on the rear bumper and wire to the front and plug into the 7 pin connector on the MH, but the wiring kits make sense.
You do not have a locking steering wheel on Wranglers after 2008. You don't have to leave the keys in the ignition. I installed the Mopar harness and also use the RVI2 brake. Both work great. I did have to install an extra power plug on the front of the console so the RVI cord would reach, but you can use an extension for the plug inside the console.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFellow View Post
There is yet another advantage of the Mopar harness...

When you enable the left or right turn signal in the motorhome, and apply the brakes in the motorhome with enough force to engage supplemental braking in the Jeep, the turn signal is not overridden by the Jeep's brakes. That is a huge advantage.
X2, that is the reason I trashed my Cool Tech and installed MOPAR.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTRIDER View Post
Your steering wheel does not lock. Take your key with you.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, tow, towing