Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmansworl View Post
I just bought a 2012 daybreak and will be towing a 2006 Rubicon. Virgin voyage and you want a good towing package and tips please! :-)
BlueOx Aventa tow bar and base plate, Cooltech wiring harness.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We recently bought and installed the ReadyBrute towing setup (tow bar with built in supplemental brake and breakaway), Blue Ox baseplate, and the CoolTech wiring harness. Entire setup was less than $1600 and was installed by my hubby as a DIY. If you are mechanically inclined at all, you can install this setup yourself.
I'll second this setup. Simple, cost effective and very easy to DIY.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #17

Correct ACC position

Make SURE you get the key in the correct position. Check your owners manual. I towed a Wrangler and did not check and stripped the rubber off the right front tire. Otherwise the Jeep was a easy towing Toad.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #18

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

We are looking at getting a Class C and will have to tow a toad. My duaghter has a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I own. Its AWD 4x4, auto trans with the v8 motor. The trans case does need to be replaced, but it does run and drive great. I am concern about the wieght of the car with the Class C's. Will it pull it? I really don't want to buy another car to tow, but if I do wonder which car would be bettert to get. I am selling my 1999 Suburban since we sold our TT. Don't need it any more so I have to find anohter dailey driver car for me to get to work.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads Toy View Post
We are looking at getting a Class C and will have to tow a toad. My duaghter has a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I own. Its AWD 4x4, auto trans with the v8 motor. The trans case does need to be replaced, but it does run and drive great. I am concern about the wieght of the car with the Class C's. Will it pull it? I really don't want to buy another car to tow, but if I do wonder which car would be bettert to get. I am selling my 1999 Suburban since we sold our TT. Don't need it any more so I have to find anohter dailey driver car for me to get to work.
The Grand Cherokee of that vintage with the V8 weighs in around 4,000 lb, the I6 was 3,600 lbs. Note that this is with all fluids, but NO cargo. So lets use 4,200 lbs for some tools and stuff in the back.

It is hard to find Class C's that can tow more than 3,500 lbs, look around. In 2002 when we were buying there was not one that we could find (note, I am ignoring the Super C's).

Since then, the market has responded a little and several manufacturers have upped the towing capability of their Class C units. Whether buying a new or used unit, be sure to check the tow rating, not just the tow bar rating.

Good luck
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #20

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
The Grand Cherokee of that vintage with the V8 weighs in around 4,000 lb, the I6 was 3,600 lbs. Note that this is with all fluids, but NO cargo. So lets use 4,200 lbs for some tools and stuff in the back.

It is hard to find Class C's that can tow more than 3,500 lbs, look around. In 2002 when we were buying there was not one that we could find (note, I am ignoring the Super C's).

Since then, the market has responded a little and several manufacturers have upped the towing capability of their Class C units. Whether buying a new or used unit, be sure to check the tow rating, not just the tow bar rating.

Good luck
Looks like I should start looking for another toad. Thinking of a Saturn wagon.

Tags
towing