Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing a jeep with all 4 down

This one is for all of the jeep owners. I currently tow an 03 Rubicon, Automatic, on a trailer behind my 98 Winnebago Chieftain. Candidly I find the hassle of loading the jeep on the trailer, tying it down, needing to find some place to store the trailer etc to be a royal pain. Plus when I condsider the extra weight of the trailer I am confident that I am over my weight limit. So I am considering towing my jeep with all 4 wheels down. So I am looking for suggestions on the entire set up from tow bar to braking systems etc.
Thanks in advance for all of the great recommendations I know I will receive

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have just upgraded to a MH and plan to tow a Jeep Wrangler on all 4. All one needs to do is place the transfer in neutral, trans in Park, be sure the steering is unlocked, and tow.
So far it is working for us.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, is your Rubi 4WD? I know certain years of Wranglers were 2WD and can't be towed 4-down. Also, do you have a locking steering column? To tow a Jeep that doesn't have a locking steering column, all you have to do is put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park...and away you go.

We recently bought and installed the ReadyBrute towing setup (tow bar with built in supplemental brake and breakaway), Blue Ox baseplate, and the CoolTech wiring harness. Entire setup was less than $1600 and was installed by my hubby as a DIY. If you are mechanically inclined at all, you can install this setup yourself.

If you do a forum search for 'Jeep Towing', you will find enough info to fill three books! Good luck, and feel free to ask all the questions you have. Lots of guys here tow Jeeps.

ETA--here's the setup we purchased... http://www.towbarsunlimited.com/cata...13/6241988.htm plus the Cooltech harness and umbilical... http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_t...ness_kit.shtml

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rubicon should be 4x4

Easy to put the tranfercase in nutral. I have the stowmaster on the front of mine and love it. I can hook up to any 2" ball. I have an even brake but would opt for a better setup if I did it overagain. Many permanent instalations available. I ised diods to wire in my tail lights. I would never trailer a wrangler. Mich easier 4 down. I can hook it up my self and with the adjusting arms that auto lock in ther is no back and forth to get it right. Just get it close, unlock the arms and hook up. Pullaway and they lock in. Too simple that even the DW does it sometimes when I am still stowing the grills or dumping the tanks.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went with a Blue Ox Aventa towbar and baseplate and for brakes we use an Invisibrake. We are fulltimers so we didn't want to have a braking system that has to be put in and hooked up every time we drove. This Invisibrake and also one called SMI system are permanently installed in the toad. Your Wrangler has a locking steering wheel I think so you will need to keep a key turned on and this draws down the battery in the Jeep BUT the Invisibrake system charges your Jeep battery so this is not a problem. This may be the best way to go for you to keep the battery changing while towing. Another system might need you to pull a fuse out when you tow to keep the battery from running down. One tip, if you go Invisibrake, get a dealer who has installed it before, preferably several times. It can be tricky to install. My dealer didn't get it right at first but it works great now.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Blue Ox Aventa and base plate and installed US Gear Unified Tow Brake.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #7

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Roadmaster all terrain tow bar, Cool Tech wiring harness and negative terminal battery cut off, M&G auxillary brke system with brake away. I can hookup/disconnect in less than 5minutes. Cool Tech stuff easy to install. No diodes/bulbs, drilling. Battery disconnect is a snap. I did the fuse removal and it was a pain.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
This one is for all of the jeep owners. I currently tow an 03 Rubicon, Automatic, on a trailer behind my 98 Winnebago Chieftain. Candidly I find the hassle of loading the jeep on the trailer, tying it down, needing to find some place to store the trailer etc to be a royal pain. Plus when I condsider the extra weight of the trailer I am confident that I am over my weight limit. So I am considering towing my jeep with all 4 wheels down. So I am looking for suggestions on the entire set up from tow bar to braking systems etc.
We've towed our 04 Wrangler Sport over 65,000 miles with a Roadmaster Sterling (predecessor to the Sterling All Terrain), Roadmaster XL brackets and a Roadmaster 9060 braking system. With regular maintenance I expect the combination to easily go another 65,000.

No fuses have to be removed when towing a Jeep TJ. The key is placed in the "accessory" position on the ignition switch. This unlocks the wheels yet does not power up any systems.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
I just completed the installation of Blue ox base plate and the redibrute elite and ready stop on an 04 Rubicon. No major issues to contend with. Test driven it behind my pickup and it seemed to work flawlessly. The only issue i see with the system it's just not as clean looking on the front of the jeep. If doing offroading it might be good to remove the cables but thats not a big chore. I considered the blue ox with the M&G engineering but it was quite a bit more and you are tapping into the motor homes air system and I'd prefer not to do that. My Rubi is the 5 speed manual. I've towed it quite a bit with no braking system and a reese type collapsible tow bar and experienced no problems. It tows great. My two cents worth.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As far as the tow bar, baseplate, amd braking system, just do some research and buy what makes sence and is affordable to you. We had an 03 Sport, auto 4x4 before our '11. Transmission in park, transfer case in neutral, key in unlocked position not on "acc" so you will not drain the battery.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our 07 Wrangler is the third Jeep we've towed over the years. In our case we use a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar, an SMI Air Force One brake system (you'll need to use the Invisabrake, or it's equivalent) and a separate light harness with separate sockets for the brake/tail/turn lights on the back of the Jeep (easily installed in the Jeep tail light assembly).

I do recommend a braking system that doesn't require any more from you than plugging in the motor home to Jeep harness. The others work, but are a pain and take up storage space when not in use.

The 07 uses a coded ignition key and I didn't want to leave it in the ignition while we were towing so I had a 'dummy' key cut at the local Home Depot (it will unlock the steering column, but the Jeep won't run without the 'chip' inside the electronic key).

I'm not familier with the invisabrake, but if it does indeed include a charging line, to keep the Jeep battery from going dead while it is being towed, great. In our case I installed a simple blade switch on the negative battery terminal. I can disconnect, or reconnect the battery in 2 seconds.

The retail value of your trailer will probably pay for the majority of the equipment you'll need. As I said, this is our third Jeep (plus one Geo Tracker, back in the 90s) with no problems, over thousands of miles, to date.

Good luck!
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #12

towing

I just bought a 2012 daybreak and will be towing a 2006 Rubicon. Virgin voyage and you want a good towing package and tips please! :-)
Old 04-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #13

Have my 2010 Wrangler Sport, Automatic set up for toad with Blue X and brake buddy.
What's the best way to quickly disconnect battery, or is there another method to keep battery from draining.
Haven't towed yet so any tips are helpful. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynch View Post
Have my 2010 Wrangler Sport, Automatic set up for toad with Blue X and brake buddy.
What's the best way to quickly disconnect battery, or is there another method to keep battery from draining.
Haven't towed yet so any tips are helpful. Thanks!
I don't believe your 2010 has a locking steering column, so you would not need a battery disconnect. For our 2012 none is necessary.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing