Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #1

Towing a Jeep Wrangler

Please help...the more I research, the more I get conflicting info.

I have a 2011 Tiffin Allegro (Gas).

I bought a 2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited, 4-door, Automatic. Tow package was already installed, including baseplate, Blue Ox tow bar, safety cables, electrical hookup.

After much research I bought a Brake Buddy Vantage Select. Installed and played with it but have not "tested it yet." Breakaway system ready as well.

Came across an article in Camping World this month that challenged many things I thought I knew.

Brake Buddy says battery draw on unit will take 3 days to render the toad battery dead. OK, so sweat. One Cig lighter outlet is always powered on (with or without key) so that works great. Motorhome electric to Jeep cabling will make all turn sigs and brake lights work correctly.

I was told by someone that my model Jeep does not have wheel lockup, so a key will never be needed. Now I hear that I have to have the key in the ignition, but still unclear how far to turn it (ACC, ON, etc.).

Then I read this huge forum here about jeeps and it talks about pulling the IOD fuse (wouldn't this render my outlet dead) and pulling M1 fuse to not confuse brake lights.

So much of this commentary was a few years old and I thought I reach out for a refresh. Leaving in 5 days (Memorial day weekend) and I've yet to tow my jeep anywhere.

Please help!
Brian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
At some point in 2008 Jeep no longer put a locking steering wheel in the Wranglers, so you definitely do not have it in your 2009. Once you're setup for towing, you can take the key out and put it in your pocket.

No need to disconnect the battery as there is only a slight parasitic draw on the battery that would take quite a few days of never starting the Jeep to run it down.

The only question I have is what kind of system are you using for your lights?

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #3

Bob,

I have the cable that connects to the factory plug on the back of the Tiffin to the smaller plus on the front of the jeep. I'm told this cable will synchronize both brakes and turn signals. I did read a caution that when the RV places the Jeeps turn signals on that the BrakeBuddy depressing the brake pedal may override.

I am really concerned about the wheel lock and battery drainage. Can you provide a little more detail? I stopped by a dealership and one of the tech said I need to keep the key in the ignition?

Brian
Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Brian,

I understand your concern regarding the steering wheel lock since the procedure the Jeep service tech told you is also what it says in the manual, but they're both wrong. I certainly don't expect you to take my word over the above sources, but I'm sure there will be other replies to this thread with owners of 2009 4X4 Wranglers that remove the key.

Of course the best answer would be to test it yourself. If you have a smooth garage floor and some thin plywood, cut two pieces and park so there is one piece under each front wheel. With the engine off and the key out of the ignition, turn the steering from full left stop to full right stop.

My concern with the light setup is if it has diodes installed. Does the towing equipment look like it was professionally installed? If so, then it's probably okay, but I would want to make sure.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I gotta believe you're kiddin you don't know if you have a locking steering wheel.

Mike
Old 05-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
I gotta believe you're kiddin you don't know if you have a locking steering wheel.

Mike
The Jeep salesman that was a self-professed Wrangler expert, didn't know that the 2011 Wrangler I was going to purchase didn't have a locking steering wheel. I had to take him out on the showroom floor and prove it to him.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The Jeep salesman that was a self-professed Wrangler expert, didn't know that the 2011 Wrangler I was going to purchase didn't have a locking steering wheel. I had to take him out on the showroom floor and prove it to him.

Every salesman I ever met says they are a "Expert"........
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:29 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Take the key out and see if you can turn the steering wheel .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I tow an 09 Wrangler and it does not have steering wheel lock. I use the US Gear UFB tow break and it has a charging wire to charge the toad when I drive using a 7 pin plug. I read somewhere on this forum that there is a product or way to wire a 7 pin to charge while driving.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you're worried about battery drain, have the dealer install a charging line. It will keep the Jeep batteries fully charged. It would be part of the harness you plug in between your motor home and the Jeep.

Our '07 Wrangler would drain the battery in one day of being towed, using a setup similar to yours, but in '07 the key had to be in the ignition and 'on' while being towed. Others have correctly pointed out that a change was made sometime during the '08 model year that eliminated the steering wheel lock.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
no key in the ignition needed to tow with an 09 JK, I use a Blue Ox Patriot as the aux brake & never had it run down the battery but I know it doesn't draw anywhere near the juice that the air compressor type aux brakes do..
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #12

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-door

Hello,

I have a 2008 wrangler and tow 4 wheels down, the keep has to be turned on to ACC and then I unhook the NEG battery cable. I installed a battery disconnect post on the negative post, its a simple blade style disconnect. Anyway, once Im all hooked up and the transfer case is in neutral and the shifter is placed back in park, I unhook the battery and using the DW's keys make sure its in the ACC position and lock the doors and am ready to tow, you do want to have diodes installed as well. I use an NSA ready brute tow bar and have towed mine many thousands of miles with no battery drain and no issues at all.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #13

Thanks for all the advice on towing the 2009 Wrangler. You wouldn't believe the conflicting opinions on this and other sites. Here are my outcomes:

1. 2009 Wrangler X Unlimited 4wd 4-door does not have a wheel lock
2. The key did not have to be in the ignition at all
3. Two cig power adapters - one is hot all the time
4. I used a Brake Buddy Vantage Select and it worked great

Everything worked great. Couldn't even tell the Jeep was behind me unless I braked moderately.

There are hundreds of combinations of models and tools and braking systems and opinions. Please respect all of them and do your own due diligence before towing. And remember, if you see your tow vehicle passing you in the left lane, you probably made a wrong assumption along the way.

Thanks and have a great summer.

Brian

Tags
towing