Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Utah

• Max Vehicle Height: 14'
  • Max Vehicle Width: 8 1/2'
  • Combined Length: 65'
  • Max Trailer Length: 40'
  • Max Trailer Width: 8'6"
  • Max Trailer Height: 14'0"
  • Motor Home Length: 45'
  • Two Vehicle Max Length: 65'
  • Triple Tow Allowed: Yes Total maximum combined length of 65 ft.
  • Safety Chains Required: Yes
  • Breakaway Required: Yes. Required on trailers over 3000 lbs.
  • Fire Extinguisher: Yes
  • Flares & Signs: Yes
  • Trailer Brakes Required: 2000
  • Towed Cars: No laws regarding.
  • Wipers: Not Stated
  • Max Tow Speed: 75
  • Ride in 5th Wheel: Not Specified
  • Ride Pickup Camper: Yes
  • Ride Travel Trailer: Not Specified.
  • Weight Limits for Towing without Auxiliary Brakes: 2000lbs.
    Requires any vehicle combination to stop in 40 feet at 20 mph.
  • Maximum Length - RV & Trailer Combo: 65ft.Includes Bumpers. Excludes devices determined to be necessary for safe and efficient operation
Yes it does state this(highlighted above), if you want to see the difference to another state,.......look at Hawaii....Towed cars.
I do not need to debate the physics of stopping a object with momentum, nor do I disagree with you on this subject.
UPDATE: I just seen the Utah rule here(above) on towing a car, missed it before.....sorry(2nd highlight above)
Sorry Kirk, looks like you "must" have aux. braking by tour state law.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #16

Hi All, Many state laws require aux braking systems if the towed trailer or vehicle is over 3000 lbs. Best check into that for yourself! I have the Roadmaster stowmaster and have nearly 90,000 miles on it across three motorhomes. I have the SMI toad braking system and it works great. SMI makes one that you install in the jeep engine compartment and leave. It takes about 3 minutes to hook up the tow bar and turn one the SMI.

Ed and Barb
2007 Georgetown 373 xls
2013 Jeep Wangler Unlimited Sport

Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
I tow a 2012 Wrangler behind a Tiffin Open Road. I have a Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar and use a brake buddy braking system. The Stowmaster folds and stays with the jeep whereas most tow bars stay in the coach receiver. I like the tow bar on the jeep and have used it several times to tow the jeep with my pickup to the dealer for service and recalls. Most people like the tow bar to remain in the coach receiver but it's just what works best for you. I look at the brake system as insurance against a lawsuit if I am ever involved in an accident. I only recall the remote sensor in the coach coming on a couple of times but it's there if I need it. I purchased tow bar, base plates, and brake buddy off eBay for less than $700 and installed it myself. The brake buddy only takes a couple of minutes to install and remove but if I were full timing, I would go with one of the permanently mounted systems that doesn't effect the jeeps drivability.
You are correct on all counts.
And the Stowmaster is an awesome bumper too, aye?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You are correct on all counts. And the Stowmaster is an awesome bumper too, aye?
Yes and in a dark garage it's a knee buster too!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #19

Readybrake

We tow a 2009 Jeep Wrangler 2 door with the Readybrake aluminum tow bar with a surge type brake built in. Very light easy to hook up and will mechanically apply the Jeep's brakes. Google it for more info
Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
Yes and in a dark garage it's a knee buster too!
You have a garage? Woof!
My life is a never ending series of campsites.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #21

In California, you only need to add additional braking system if your combined weight exceeds the coaches max GVCW. Generally 3k lb toad. I would guess your jeep may exceed that. As others have stated, it's not a huge investment, I would attempt to protect myself when we travel thru states we don't know their laws. A ticket these days would pay for the device.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
Old 01-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. View Post
Will I need a brake system on the toad? What tow bar is best? If anyone can give me information on this it will be appreciated.
I have blue ox tow system. Tow bar stays on coach when not in use. I have Air Force One braking system with brake away. I choose the AFOne in case I ever wanted to Change my toad It can be use it on many different toads.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You have a garage? Woof! My life is a never ending series of campsites.
I have a garage, a house, 20 acres, a job, a wife with a job, a tractor , and a lot of other things I can't wait to get rid of. Not the wife , just her job! We have 5-7 years till we are released from our self imposed prison but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
We just got a 2013 Berkshire and had the Roadmaster All terrain transferred to the new MH.
We use a Unified brake system on the 09 Wrangler as the braking unit and it does great.
Personally, I wouldn't want to take a chance on towing any vehicle without some kind of braking system or a breakaway system just in case.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
My 2 cents - get an auxillary brake and use it, whatever your state laws say. Which of us have never had some fool cut us off, or gone over a hill to find the lane obstructed by surprise traffic.

sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing