Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

Towing a Jeep wrangler.

Will I need a brake system on the toad? What tow bar is best? If anyone can give me information on this it will be appreciated.
Capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have this brake system M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page on my 2011 Sahara....love it.

Here https://www.google.com/search?q=m+an...earch=irv2.com is some reading for you to study up on.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We've towed a 2012 Wrangler 2 door 10000 miles so far without one, in all kinds of terrain with no problems. Don't even know it's back there. Tow bars in my experience are pretty much the same. We use a Falcon and like it -- easy to hook up and well built. Have also used a Blue Ox and that's good too.
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk7678 View Post
We've towed a 2012 Wrangler 2 door 10000 miles so far without one, in all kinds of terrain with no problems. Don't even know it's back there. Tow bars in my experience are pretty much the same. We use a Falcon and like it -- easy to hook up and well built. Have also used a Blue Ox and that's good too.
OH -Boy.........
Old 01-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk7678 View Post
I'm sure it does tow well without aux. brakes.......the brakes come into use when stopping as in a panic stop. What you gonna do when someone pulls out in front of you and you can't stop? How you going to get out of liability when an accident investigator finds that you don't use aux. brakes (which are required in Utah if your towed is over 2000#). Just tell him "Don't even know it's back there." That ought to work.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #6

love my ready brute and ready brake.
Scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #7

I have a BluOx Patriot that I use with my Wrangler. Easy to use and setup.

Patriot Braking System

Cheers,

Norm
Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I'm sure it does tow well without aux. brakes.......the brakes come into use when stopping as in a panic stop. What you gonna do when someone pulls out in front of you and you can't stop? How you going to get out of liability when an accident investigator finds that you don't use aux. brakes (which are required in Utah if your towed is over 2000#). Just tell him "Don't even know it's back there." That ought to work.
In Kirts behalf.....the laws in Utah states he does not need aux. brakes on a towed auto Towing World Official Website
Trailers....yes.....2,000 lbs. and up.....
Old 01-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #9

You are putting peoples lives in jeopardy without a braking system towing a Wrangler...My 2 dr 2010 is 4K pounds.....I would never put either my family's or others lives in danger by towing something this heavy w/o brakes....Those that do are a hazard to others on the road....

As to the towing system, pick any of the major mfg's and you will be fine..just do some research and get the one that suits you.......

Steve and Liz
Elko, Nv and Fallbrook, Ca
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #10

I towed my 2006 2 dr wrangler for 2 yrs without a aux brake and I too couldn't feel it back there. My motorhome is a 1996 it's a Itasca suncruiser 34 ft. I've had some panic stops and it still stopped fine. I also drive usually the speed limit too. The drivers doing 50-55 in a 70 are more an accident waiting to happen.
Now I have a 2012 4 dr wrangler and I do now use the ReadyBrute all in one setup and it works great. Better than having to worry about an electrical one jammed in front of the seat that you have to remove and set back up every trip. Not to mention having it malfunction and lock up the brakes.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #11

Capt. And kirk7678.

Get an aux brake. That way you wont have folks throwing all kinds statistics and science at you.

And maybe, just maybe, you will be as greatful as I was at stopping 30% sooner and not killing a fool that pulled out in front of me.

I have a 14 year old Stowmaster by Roadmaster for towing my JK Wrangler, and a 14 year old BrakeBuddy (with Brake-Away feature) that saved a life.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #12
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
In Kirts behalf.....the laws in Utah states he does not need aux. brakes on a towed auto Towing World Official Website
Palehorse.......not exactly. At best it's ambiguous. What your site and the one below is saying is that the law does not specifically state "towed car". For that matter it doesn't say "towed pickup truck" either. It does say that any towed combination has to stop in 40' from 20 mph. You think he'll be able to prove that after the accident? In any case it's prudent to use aux. brakes. After all it's not just his safety ....... he's operating a heavy vehicle.

State Towing Laws for RVs (go down the entire list)
Old 01-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Palehorse.......not exactly. At best it's ambiguous. What your site and the one below is saying is that the law does not specifically state "towed car". For that matter it doesn't say "towed pickup truck" either. It does say that any towed combination has to stop in 40' from 20 mph. You think he'll be able to prove that after the accident? It also states taht max. weight without aux. brakes is 2000#. In any case it's prudent to use aux. brakes. After all it's not just his safety ....... he's operating a heavy vehicle.

State Towing Laws for RVs (go down the entire list)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #14

I tow a 2012 Wrangler behind a Tiffin Open Road. I have a Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar and use a brake buddy braking system. The Stowmaster folds and stays with the jeep whereas most tow bars stay in the coach receiver. I like the tow bar on the jeep and have used it several times to tow the jeep with my pickup to the dealer for service and recalls. Most people like the tow bar to remain in the coach receiver but it's just what works best for you. I look at the brake system as insurance against a lawsuit if I am ever involved in an accident. I only recall the remote sensor in the coach coming on a couple of times but it's there if I need it. I purchased tow bar, base plates, and brake buddy off eBay for less than $700 and installed it myself. The brake buddy only takes a couple of minutes to install and remove but if I were full timing, I would go with one of the permanently mounted systems that doesn't effect the jeeps drivability.

Tags
towing