Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
My jeep is a 2011 Sahara wrangler. It has both the 3 piece hard top and the soft top options available. We love the outdoors and the freedom of the wind and sun. That's why I want the soft top.... The security of the vehicle and any contents would be the concern if any...

TheBelchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #16
Thor Owners Club
We went with the soft top.

We went with the soft top. A few of our thoughts. 1st. We owned a collector Mustang GT convertable. Although we kept it secure inside at home, on any trips we were sure to park in safe areas and remove any valuables.

Never had our top cut. Thank-goodness. We really like riding with top down.
One of the major reasons we went with a Wrangler

1. Go Top Down.
2. Easy Tow Vehicle.
3. Potential Off Road opportunities for exploration.

Thought about getting hard top in addition to the soft top but then we probably would not use it as much and like that flexibility to change from covered to uncovered quickly. Besides we road bikes on highway for years so we are used to any road noise others mentioned.

Thought about a small lightweight platform for the class lll reciever you could mount a small tool box on. Just a thought. Have not looked to see what is out there or what others are using. This is our 1st Jeep!!!

We might be in the minority but what we decided to do.

06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #17
We tow soft top TJ, half doors. Never, ever lock it or leave anything of value in it. Pull the brake out and out in MH at night.
Gary0358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #18
Everyone has a lot of very valid concerns that his or her experience has shown. I have both tops. Couple of things I have observed;

1) My '12 JKUR is modified, and noisy. Just as noisy is one top versus the other.
2) The security of the soft top can be overcome by the security of a lock box.
3) I would run the soft top over the hard top, I only go with the hard top in the winter because I like the rear window defrost and wiper.
4) Removing the panels on the freedom top 3 piece top is miserable due to the buffeting.

2 cents worth.

2013 Discovery 40G, 2012 JK Rubicon TOAD1, 2014 Grand Cherokee TOAD2. 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn. American Steel = American PROFITS!
dubdub07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Our Wrangler came with both a soft top and a hard top. I took the hard top off and went with the soft on one trip. It was definitely noisier and more trouble to get things in and out of the back as you have to unzip the rear "window" and there is a cross bar you have to deal with.

It all depends on what you want. If you like to cruise a lot with the top off or down, then go with the soft top. The hard top is not hard to remove, but it is heavier than it looks and is bulky to handle. You really need a hoist or four guys to take it off. We found that in the mountain Jeep trails, the dust is so bad we prefer to keep the windows up most of the time. I went back with the hard top and my personal preference is to keep it on 95% of the time.
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists"
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
Previously '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a W22 Workhorse
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our freedom top has not been off - the panels were off once and blondie complained about her hair and wind noise too much so back on it went...

still fun to go off roading and with the mopar headliner kit it's warmer in winter and cooler in summer !

And Dan we had two Boston terrors a while back... great pups !
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #21
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our '09 came with a soft top and then we bought a hard top. Like the soft top in the summer but love the hard top in the winter. Like the security of the hard top and the ease of loading things in the back with the lift window. Will keep both and use as needed but the main thing is we love our Wrangler as a toad all the time!
Rick and Patty
2006 Holiday Rambler 30PDD,Sani-Con,Sumo Solo Springs,5 Star,Radio Labs,
MagneShade,Progressive Surge Protector,EEZRV TPMS,2009 Jeep Wrangler
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
We have a 2011 JKUR and have both the OEM hardtop and a Bestop Trektop NX. Our top choice is more dependent on weather conditions though. In the early spring months we generally have the hard top on but then by late March/early April we swap over to the soft top and have it on the remainder of the season.

This year we probably won't put the soft top on until after we return from Texas in mid-April but after that the soft top will be on all season.

I have mixed feelings as I love the free air feeling of the soft top, I like the convenience of the rear glass more on the hard top vs. the soft top's rear zippers and belt-line clips. I have really been eyeballing the new Trektop NX Pro with the hard rear window. I think that will be my next top once my current one goes south on me.

Mike & Chrystal/ 2011 Jeep JKUR
Link to our 2003 Monaco Baroness Projects/Mods thread here:
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:37 PM   #23
2012 Rubi...3 piece hard top and for the brake we got the NSA ready brute elite tow bar with ready brake ......so no brake controller to steal

2016 Allegro 32SA--2012 4dr Jeep Rubicon
Greg&Laurie Ziggy, Jhonny, RIP Lola 2-17-16
G-Man562 is offline   Reply With Quote

tow, towing