Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

Towing a Jeep Wrangler

We have a Class A motorhome, and are set up to tow our Honda CRV. We now have a Jeep Wrangler, and would like to tow that. Our motorhome has the device that attaches to our CRV, so all we need is the hardware installed on our Jeep. We live in the Seattle area and the quote we received from the company who set up our CRV is $2500. That seems excessive to just add the hardware on our Jeep. Does anyone want to weigh in on this? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for where to go for towing services in the Seattle area?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #2

That does seem excessive!

I went from towing a Saturn VUE to a Jeep Wrangler. All I had to do was order a new baseplate (the parts that mount on the Jeep), and the Mopar Wiring harness.

The baseplate was $350.

The wire harness was $116 (as I recall).

I installed both myself. Took about 6 hours for me to do the baseplate, and about 4 hours to do the wire harness.

I would think someone who knows what they're doing could do it in half that time.

BTW... I use a BrakeBuddy for supplemental braking. If you use, or must purchase and have installed something different, that could run the price up significantly.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy & Bill View Post
We have a Class A motorhome, and are set up to tow our Honda CRV. We now have a Jeep Wrangler, and would like to tow that. Our motorhome has the device that attaches to our CRV, so all we need is the hardware installed on our Jeep. We live in the Seattle area and the quote we received from the company who set up our CRV is $2500. That seems excessive to just add the hardware on our Jeep. Does anyone want to weigh in on this? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for where to go for towing services in the Seattle area?

Thanks!
Nancy & Bill,
Well first off, may I ask, what year/model of Wrangler are you talking about? It's no big deal, just wondering. I don't know if you plan on doing any modifications or, alterations to it, such as off road bumpers, side rails and things like that but, if so, many off road bumpers, i.e. front ones, are equipped with what's called "recovery tabs". Those tabs, are some seriously strong, usually 3/4" thick, tabs, welded onto the front of the bumper so that you can attach what's called a "D-ring" to it, and a recovery strap, to get you out of a bind in the off road situation.

But, those tabs, also act as attachment points for just about any tow bar made, including Blue Ox and many others. If you equip your Jeep with a pair of those nice aftermarket bumpers, you'll not need a base plate. This is just some advice, in case you're interested. Most of the lighting is easy. You can buy kits that are adaptive to your specific model. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #4

Our Jeep is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler, Sahara.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:02 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
If you want to keep the stock bumper, then all you need is a base plate, braking system and lights. The Demco, Currie and Blue Ox are all good brands. RockHard and LoD both make bumpers that have tow tabs that are bolted directly to the frame. Not all aftermarket bumpers are created equal and some don't have the strength in the D-ring attachments to use for towing. Below is an example of one bumper that failed when towing by the D-ring. I installed the Demco base plate and a Mopar wiring harness myself. The cost for both was around $550.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRingFailure.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	133056  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #6

What are you getting for the $2500 ? If its the baseplate, wiring and aux brake then the price seems fair but you could probably do better.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My first question is, does that include an auxiliary toad brake, and if so, what make/type?

For simply a baseplate install and hook up lights that does seem steep. If it includes the brake system it could be about right, depending on style and type.
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nancy & Bill, I took my Wrangler to the welder and he made the base plate with the backing plate. The backing plate is on the back side of the front bumper and the part the tow bar hooks to is mounted on the front of the bumper. It tows quite well.
The original bumper is too this to depend on for towing.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if you are using a SMI Stay-n-play duo...then you'll be looking at ...

Another Supplemental braking system $999
Blue Ox Base Plate $336
Mopar wiring harness $131

Plus labor to install....

I'm guessing anything north of $2000 is a bit much.

If you have a supplemental brake that is wireless..,and sits on the floor of your car...you can move it from the CRV to the JEEP...that save a bunch.

I do like the SMI products though. We use the Air Force One system designed for coaches with air brakes...

Tags
tow, towing