Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Surge brakes cannot be actuated independent of the actual vehicle brakes and also lag the tow vehicle brakes by the time it takes for the surge mechanism to pivot forward. That is why they are illegal. Search around for the information so you are not ignorant any longer.
I'm not sure it's me who is ignorant of the law, but it seems your quoting old and irrelevant laws and as MR D stated, they are legal now. Check with U Haul.

Check your regulations and you will see that surge brakes are and have been legal in all 50 states.

Here is a clip from a link you didn't read.

This essentially banned surge brakes in these states. The result was a patchwork of regulations that " often allowed use of surge brake-equipped trailers by private individuals " , while banning them from commercial use. Due to inconsistencies between local regulations, there was a great deal of confusion as to when and where surge brakes were legal.

https://www.forconstructionpros.com/...declared-legal
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Surge brakes are illegal in some states or , and most trailers of any size don't use them as they can't be controlled.
Can you name a state or two where surge brakes are illegal? Perhaps post a link.

I might need to notify NSA they are selling an illegal product as many on here have the Ready Brute tow bar and Ready Brake system installed on their toads.

And I don't think I've ever seen anything but surge brakes on boat trailers around here. Of course we're talking surge brakes on privately owned non-commercial vehicles as this is not a commercial trucking forum.

I sure don't want to be ignorant any longer than necessary so educate me.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Can you name a state or two where surge brakes are illegal? Perhaps post a link.

I might need to notify NSA they are selling an illegal product as many on here have the Ready Brute tow bar and Ready Brake system installed on their toads.

And I don't think I've ever seen anything but surge brakes on boat trailers around here. Of course we're talking surge brakes on privately owned non-commercial vehicles as this is not a commercial trucking forum.

I sure don't want to be ignorant any longer than necessary so educate me.
You're not the only one. I've been boating for decades and, we came from a boating community in San Diego. Now, we live in an equal boating community in Lake Havasu City AZ and, as long as we've been boating in both those areas and, Utah, Lake Tahoe and many, many more, SURGE brakes are all we've EVER SEEN on those trailers.

And besides, the OP is talking about Jet skis on a 200 lb. trailer, not a travel trailer or a 5th wheel. Kind of a difference there.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #18

The fed law as stated restrict surge brakes to a percentage of the GVWR of the vehicle, these makeing them illegal about a certain weight. The boat community I am part of have VERY heavy boats and have largely moved to electric or electric over hydraulic because of this law and for safety. If you ever went down a long grade with surge brakes, you know what I mean, if not then lucky you.

Tags
class a, gas, tow, towing