Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #1

towing a Kia

Hi I'm new to this and have a 02 Kia sportage with four wheel drive.It runs on two wheel drive from the rear until I engage it from inside.I want to tow it on a dolly.If I disconnect and remove the rear drive shaft will it be ok?I bellieve that I will still be able to drive it from the front wheels for short trips like to the store and back if I'm in a park and don't want to move the rig

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Here's a post about towing a 2002 Sportage:

Kia Sportage as toad

You didn't say if it is an auto or manual.

According to Remco Towing, a manual is towable with limitations. See

Store : Remco

Here's more info on the '02 Sportage: 2002 Sportage: for an rv tow vehicle..4x4 automatic..Transfer Case - JustAnswer

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #3

Its an automatic.It has a standard rearend an it looks like if I remove the driveshaft nothing will be affected.The front will be in a dolly.I also think I would be able to drive with the front wheels only to maybe go to the store etc.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
If you sold the dolly and bought a baseplate, you could tow it four down without having to disconnect the driveshaft. I assume you have a transfer case that can be put in neutral? The extra hassle of loading on the dolly, stowing the dolly in a campsite, checking the tie down straps a couple of times a day is simplified by towing four down. IMHO. The battery drain issue is easy to solve if you use an unused pin in your 6/7 pin connector to supply power from the RV chassis battery to the Kia battery.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

None of the towing application sites list the Kia 4WD models as towable without changes. However, Remco Drive Disconnects makes a rear disconnect for it, which kind of supports the idea that the rear shaft can be disconnected and to tow the SUV.

Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect | Application Chart
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you sold the dolly and bought a baseplate, you could tow it four down without having to disconnect the driveshaft. I assume you have a transfer case that can be put in neutral? The extra hassle of loading on the dolly, stowing the dolly in a campsite, checking the tie down straps a couple of times a day is simplified by towing four down. IMHO. The battery drain issue is easy to solve if you use an unused pin in your 6/7 pin connector to supply power from the RV chassis battery to the Kia battery.
Ok I'm new to this stuff ,what is this baseplate you are talking about and why do I need to concern myself about the battery in the toad?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
The base plate is an engineered anchor point installed on the frame of the car to attach the tow bar to. It is usually behind the plastic bumper cover on the front. If you look up your car on the Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924 website, you will see a picture and often instructions on what it takes to install it. I had noticed on some of the links about your Kia that the ignition had to be turned on to unlock the steering wheel. (not uncommon) The car's battery can be drained after a day of towing with the ignition on, especially if your towed brake system needs power to operate. Connecting a wire with an in-line self-resetting circuit breaker between the RV chassis battery and the towed battery, using an unused pin in the tow harness is how I solved this issue with my VW. Yes, you can buy a $100 system like this:
LSL Toad Charge Battery Charger

but I find that the alternator and voltage regulator on my RV keeps the towed battery charged as if it's another battery in the chassis battery bank, no need for the extra electronics.

Bob & Donna

Tags
towing