Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Towing a Kia

When I win the Maga-Million lottery, I will immediately buy the Great State of Texas and Arizona State - our 2 favourites.

With the money left over I shall buy a Kia Optima or the K900, and in anticipation of the windfall happening any time soon now, I went to the Kia dealer to inspect my upcoming purchases.

I then ask the "well informed sales person" if I can tow my new Kia (with an automatic transmission) behind my MH. "Well" - she said confidently - " I think that will be no problem at all, but let me just call one of our technicians - just to make sure".

The senior technician arrives and states "All of our top models can be towed 4 down behind a MH without any modifications, Remco pumps or the like - just put it in Neutral. If you tow it for more than a day, you may (notice the word may) consider to start the engine while on route, but otherwise you are clear to just keep towing our cars".

Here is where my scepticism kicks in. I have search, and nowhere have I seen that any Kia can be towed 4 down.

What do you think? Is my Googling skills not up to par, or am I being taken for "a ride"?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you need to do some more research. I talked to a Kia dealer where I live and was told by them that no Kia could be towed. Now, this was over a year ago so that could have changed. Would go back to the dealer and look at the owners manual to verify it could be towed 4 down.

Either that or get it in writing and notarized that it could be.

burfurd

Old 01-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
When I win the Maga-Million lottery, I will immediately buy the Great State of Texas...
Well sir, I'm glad you like our state and even recognize its greatness, but I think you'll find that it ain't for sale at any price. Texas, like the 13 original US colonies was won by the blood of patriots, the most precious of which were 200 brave men who faced certain death but stood their ground against an overwhelming force for 13 days at the Alamo. I don't think you can put any price on that.

God Bless Texas!
Remember the Alamo!
L.C.Gray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's really simple to verify for flat towing, as stated look in the owners manual of the vehicle you are considering, under recreational towing you will find info on if you can tow and how you can tow the vehicle. Last time I looked at the Motorhome Dinghy Towing Guide no Kia with an automatic transmission was towable 4 down. It amazes me that dealer sales reps don't know something as basic as how to find out if the vehicle is towable, when they like to impress you as being "experts" about the vehicles they are selling. I would not tow any vehicle that does not state in the owners manual that it is ok to tow.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
There are lots of sources, FMCA, Motorhome magazine, Remco, etc, plus you can probably download the owners manual to verify. I don't recall seeing a Kia that was towable, but I'm probably only slightly more knowledgeable than the salesperson
Old 01-04-2015, 01:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
There are lots of sources, FMCA, Motorhome magazine, Remco, etc, plus you can probably download the owners manual to verify. I don't recall seeing a Kia that was towable, but I'm probably only slightly more knowledgeable than the salesperson
I have Googled all the places that you mention, and none of them mention that any of the Kia's can be towed.

The car manuals state that in an emergency you can put the transmission in Neutral and tow the cars at low speed for short distances. Nothing about towing like it would be required behind a MH.

I suspect that I have been misinformed by Kia.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:26 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
It happens, my previous car, a Fiesta ST was towable by almost all sources. It wasn't until after I bought it that I found other sources. My owners manual said yes and the usual guides seemed to approve. Then I looked at Remco and did a general search and found the bad news. After a few months with a dolly, I decided to move on to something that is towable.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Store : Remco

Remco says Optima must be towed on a dolly.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
As you can see its not easy to get a straight answerer from the sales folks but I called KIA in West Point GA and got a copy of the TSB that States that the 2014 KIA SOUL 6 speed standard is Towable 4 down and will get the TSB for the 2015 as soon as they can get the info from Korea
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:50 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
As you can see its not easy to get a straight answerer from the sales folks but I called KIA in West Point GA and got a copy of the TSB that States that the 2014 KIA SOUL 6 speed standard is Towable 4 down and will get the TSB for the 2015 as soon as they can get the info from Korea
Remco confirms that information.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
It happens, my previous car, a Fiesta ST was towable by almost all sources. It wasn't until after I bought it that I found other sources. My owners manual said yes and the usual guides seemed to approve. Then I looked at Remco and did a general search and found the bad news. After a few months with a dolly, I decided to move on to something that is towable.
Kevin what happened to make the Fiesta non towable? FMCA shows it towable you just have to remove the ground cable on the auto, simple to do with a manual cable switch.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
It was the ST model's 6 speed manual. The manual in the other versions is a 5 speed. I don't know what it was about the 6 speed, only that it is not towable. It wasn't in the owners manual, but is shown in another Ford document that I found online. The same applies to the Focus ST. The automatic and 5 speed Focus cars are towable, the ST is not.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Kevin that is the first time I have heard that, it pays to double and triple check. I would have made the same mistake.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
We purchased a 2013 KIA Soul base with a six speed manual transmission. Getting set up next week Fri with Blue Ox base plate and SMI box. Managed to get a like new Blue Ox tow bar model Aladdin 4325 with cover locking pins etc on craigslist for $325. Will let you know how it all goes next weekend.

I did a lot of research before jumping in. The KIA Soul Base can be towed 4 down. The base has front wheel drive, the other souls with all wheel drive manual cannot be towed 4 down.

Tags
tow, towing