Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 AM   #1

I've got a 2000 Honda Gold Wing that I would like to take with us. We are flat towing a new Wrangler with a 38' Monaco Dynasty DP. I noticed one of the members had an Overbilt manufactured liftable platform for the rear of the MH. I was wondering how that was working for whoever had one. Concerned about that much weight that far out on the arm of the frame and also the effect of fuel economy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 AM   #2

I've got a 2000 Honda Gold Wing that I would like to take with us. We are flat towing a new Wrangler with a 38' Monaco Dynasty DP. I noticed one of the members had an Overbilt manufactured liftable platform for the rear of the MH. I was wondering how that was working for whoever had one. Concerned about that much weight that far out on the arm of the frame and also the effect of fuel economy.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:20 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
rebelsbeach (Bob Gregory) has just gone through the same evaluation you are in now making. In addition to this post, PM him for what decision he made and more importantly why he made the decision.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:51 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

I would highly recommend you call Blue Ox, or better yet you can visit their site blueox.us before calling and download a weight calculation sheet to determine whether or not you have the capacity on your rear axles to "carry" the load of the lift and the motorcycle.
Overbilt did in fact build or invent this particular lift,but Blue Ox now has apparently purchased the "rights" to this one.
I made a decision based on my research to purchase a crew cab truck and have ordered the Blue Ox truck bed motorcycle lift.

I would say that although you see a LOT of these units going down the road on the back of motor homes, my case in PROOF that the possibility does in fact exist whereby some of these coaches may be overloaded.

In my case, even though there are no "storage compartments" behind the axles, I only had 600 pounds of weight remaining on my rear end,
and I'm driving a 45' coach on a Spartan K3 chassis. I'm guessing the 600HP weighs a lot...LOL!!

Be careful out there and make an informed decision...Blue Ox is one of the BEST sources for help and information.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:10 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Concerned about that much weight that far out on the arm of the frame and also the effect of fuel economy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob is 100% correct about weight concerns, as a lift adds so much weight to the rear axle.

Because of the cantilever effect, for example, adding 1000# lift and motorcycle will add more than 1000# to the rear axle because the weight is so far to the rear of the rear axle, it causes some transfer of weight from the front axle.

I don't think mileage would be much of an issue, whether a motorcycle is carried or towed on a trailer.

After all, it's a small price to pay to have your bike with you and ride through some beautiful country.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:32 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I tow a Libety behind a gasser. I looked at the rig that would carry the
front tire in a cradle, (behind the Liberty) and drag the rear tire!!!!
But Harley does not advise because of the drive belt... maybe a 50mile limit.
Maybe with a drove shaft bike it could be done?????TENN.VOL.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:
As I tow a Libety behind a gasser. I looked at the rig that would carry the
front tire in a cradle, (behind the Liberty) and drag the rear tire!!!!
But Harley does not advise because of the drive belt... maybe a 50mile limit.
Maybe with a drove shaft bike it could be done?????TENN.VOL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I WOULD NOT advise this method of towing a motorcyle.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:28 PM   #8

I have had the Overbilt lift on an 04 Monaco Diplomat and now on an 07 Essex. I decided to add the lift to the 40' Dip back in 04 when I saw an article by Monaco in their magazine that featured just my coach and my HD ElectraGlide. Never had any issues with it it worked great.

When we bought the Essex I had a new receiver put on the back and transferred the rest to the Essex. Again works great.

My take is that in the past a lot of coaches used frames designed for much smaller coaches. That resulted in rear overhangs that would choke a horse. The ratio of the wheelbase to the overhang relates to how much of a multiplier you are adding to the weight you are adding to the rear axle. The shorter the wheelbase and the longer the overhang the worse off you'll be.

I'm sure you can hang your bike off the back of a Dynasty, but as Bob said, use the Blue Ox formulas to calculate it precisely.

Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote