Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:36 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing a lifted jeep

I would like to flat tow my lifted jeep on short trips, now use an enclosed 20 ft trailer for my Mini Cooper, and am looking for suggestions. The jeep is lifted and has 35" tires. It appears that I will need a 14" trailer hitch riser (hi-Lo adapter) and cannot seem to find one commercially. Has anyone had one fabricated? Are there any stress issues that I need to be aware of before towing? I have flat towed my previous jeep using a blue Ox 7445 towbar and a 10" riser. Will be using the same towbar this time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
I would like to flat tow my lifted jeep on short trips, now use an enclosed 20 ft trailer for my Mini Cooper, and am looking for suggestions. The jeep is lifted and has 35" tires. It appears that I will need a 14" trailer hitch riser (hi-Lo adapter) and cannot seem to find one commercially. Has anyone had one fabricated? Are there any stress issues that I need to be aware of before towing? I have flat towed my previous jeep using a blue Ox 7445 towbar and a 10" riser. Will be using the same towbar this time.
You won't have any issue towing your lifted Jeep. We, and a few zillion others have been towing lifted Jeeps for decades. Yep, a riser will be needed. Now, just how tall a riser you get or, have made for you, will be determined by the connection points for each end, as measured from the ground and, subtract the difference.

Now, if you've done all that and, you in deed need a 14" riser, it's not a big deal. I'm pretty sure you won't find any commercially but, any fab/trailer hitch/welding shop can handle that in a heart beat.

You ask about "stress" issues? Yep, sure there'll be stress but, if your hitch on your coach is in good shape and has good quality welds etc., you'll be fine. I have built several of them and, not one has ever shown any form of metal fatigue or, bending of any type.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #3

I have a 3" lift with 35" tires... and use a 4" riser. It really depends on where your towing points are located (ours are located under the bumper). What setup do you have that you need a 14" riser?

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:36 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
It is a 05 Rubicon, with a 6" lift, sitting on 35" tires mounted on tru beadlocks. I will attach my Blue Ox to the clevis points on the winch bumper using a Blu Ox adapter for this purpose. When I put the tow bar on my MH, level everything out it is 14" from the tow bar to the connector points.
I used to tow a older TJ with a 3" lift this way using an over the counter 8" riser.
I am hoping to chat with a fab shop tomorrow about creating a custom riser for me.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431477371.374448.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	94114

I have towed 3 lifted Jeeps with three different motor homes since 1998. I use a Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar and mounts, the same bar and mounts on all three. To accomplish this I replaced the stock front bumper with a Warn bumper. The mounts on the 2012 Rubicon are slightly different from earlier but works with the Warn bumper. Rubicon has 4" lift and 35" tires. I use an inverted dropped hitch and I believe it is about 8". Tow bar is flat with this arrangement. Never had any problem of any kind. Quality tow bar I have used since 1998. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431478036.906495.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	94116

Other Jeep is 2003 with 4" lift and 33" tires, ARB air lockers, 4.56 gears and a turbocharger. Bought it new.
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing