Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #1

Cool Towing a Mazda MX5

Anyone out there with experience or advice on towing a 2007 Mazda MX5 behind a motorhome. I am getting conflicting info. as to whether or not they are towable.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #2

I tow a 2010 Miata with no problem. It is a six speed however and I have been told by several people including the dealer that an auto should not be towed four down. I towed a 2000 Miata four speed for a number of years with no problems. I installed Roadmaster base plates myself and they work as advertised. I believe that only Roadmaster makes base plates for that car. Roadmaster installation instructions say 2 hours installation time, but it took me quite a bit longer. The only modifications required are to the grill and lower splash shield. Healyman published some pretty good instructions with photos on an earlier thread. Do a search and you will find his posting.i have posted some photos of my project in progress. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1873468246.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	450.4 KB
ID:	48289   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1752881555.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	48290  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2230193562.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	48291  

vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

I would get a dolly for the rear wheels and tow backwards. It would probably be ok 4 down, but I woudn't do it.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #4

Thumbs up Towing MX5

Thanks vraines.
My car is a six speed so there should be no problem there. Can you let me know what you did re wiring, steering column lock and any other issues that need to be addressed before towing 4 down.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackXit View Post
My car is a six speed so there should be no problem there. Can you let me know what you did re wiring, steering column lock and any other issues that need to be addressed before towing 4 down.
Max,

I towed a Miata NB 5-speed over 35,000 miles and have now towed a Miata NC 6-speed over 15,000 miles.

Send me a Private Message with your Email address and I can answer all of your questions.

Tim
Old 10-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
I installed Roadmaster base plates myself and they work as advertised.
Sonny,

The pics of your install look good. How did it go with using the Miata eye-bolts for safety chains/cables? The last I heard, you were looking for a 16mm tap.

What did you end up doing for rear under-tow lighting?

Can you send or post a picture of how the eye-bolts and the bracket mounting tubes look as they come through the grille?

Tim
Old 10-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
I would get a dolly for the rear wheels and tow backwards. It would probably be ok 4 down, but I woudn't do it.
TDI,

You would NOT tow it 4 down, but you would tow it backwards on a dolly.

Can you please explain your reasoning behind that?

Tim
Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #8

Towed mine last year 5,000 miles. Just did another 2,230 arriving in Port Aransas TX from Canada. No issues so far.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #9

I used a diode kit for the rear wiring. Works great. As Healyman alluded, I installed an additional safety system connection. I welded a section of 2" tubing to the steel bumper behind the grill on each side with a 16mm nut welded on the end of each. The nuts reside just behind the grill. You can use the eye bolts supplied with the car. Requires additional holes in the grill, but this is a really sturdy setup. I made a mistake and picked up self-locking nuts. The kind that have interrupted threads, not the nylon insert kind. Couldn't get the eyebolt screwed in. It was easier to cut the nuts off and weld the right ones back on that find a 16mm tap here in this neck of the woods. Healyman has a good set of instructions for the lock modifications. He was a lot of help getting this project done.

The Miata is a good tow and just a good car in every respect. I have had a bunch of BMW's, and other so called sport cars. Some you could not tow and most were a lot more expensive, but this is my pick for versatility an just fun.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #10

Oh, by the way Healyman, I could not bring myself to add two more holes to the grill for the new safety cable hook ups after installing them I have used the supplied connection points, but I may go ahead and start using the modified connections this winter. I use two "D" rings on the factory setup which is a bit awkward to use, but the added "D" rings help.

Haven't been camping lately as we had a major electrical event with the Dutch Star when I lost one side of the 50 amp shore power when one of the 110volt connections came loose in the shore power outlet box. Almost every thing down stream failed. Inverter, refrig, microwave. All the expensive stuff anyway. New inverter failed within three days with same results. This was a bad inverter, not shore power the second time. Even had to replace the shore power cable. Had that circuit retired in the RV garage also as a safety precaution. Such is life.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
Towed mine last year 5,000 miles. Just did another 2,230 arriving in Port Aransas TX from Canada. No issues so far.
Hey Bruce!

How long are you going to be in Port Aransas?

Starting Thursday, 10/31 through Sunday AM 11/3, we will be at the Texas Miata Round Up in San Marcos.

We will leave San Marcos on Sunday, 11/3, morning and drive to the Pioneer Beach Resort in Port Aransas for 4 days before going to Galveston for 4 days on the way home.

IF you are still in the Port Aransas area on Sunday, 11/3, afternoon, I'd love to meet you.

Tim

Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #12

Hi Sonny,

Quote:
I have used the supplied connection points.
I would REALLY like to see a close up of how the bracket tubes come through your grille.

With mine, the bracket tubes are not quite flush with the grille face, and the bracket posts would NOT rotate to lock, so I had to saw supplied lugs off of the posts and go to the eye bolt system. The cross bar now locks the bracket posts in place.

I used long extender nuts bolted to the baseplate crossbar with plastic bottle tops as funnels to guide the eye bolts into the threaded nuts.

Quote:
Haven't been camping lately as we had a major electrical event with the Dutch Star when I lost one side of the 50 amp shore power when one of the 110volt connections came loose in the shore power outlet box.
BOO!!! On the electrical misfortunes. There is usually not a good outcome when one leg of a 2 leg system goes down. Glad no one was hurt.

Stay safe.

Tim
Old 10-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
Hey Bruce!

How long are you going to be in Port Aransas?

Starting Thursday, 10/31 through Sunday AM 11/3, we will be at the Texas Miata Round Up in San Marcos.

We will leave San Marcos on Sunday, 11/3, morning and drive to the Pioneer Beach Resort in Port Aransas for 4 days before going to Galveston for 4 days on the way home.

IF you are still in the Port Aransas area on Sunday, 11/3, afternoon, I'd love to meet you.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Funny you should mention that. I will be at the Texas Roundup. See you there.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
TDI,

You would NOT tow it 4 down, but you would tow it backwards on a dolly.

Can you please explain your reasoning behind that?

Tim
It's rear wheel drive.
Front wheels spin free with no wear on trans or axle, CV boots, etc.
Just like you never tow a fwd on the front wheels.

Tags
towing