Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #15

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And don't believe what you read there. I know for a fact that it's wrong for OR and WA, they did get it right for CA though and that's what OR and WA should be.
Even so it's the most accurate one I've found.
I kind of have to agree with you Mr. D. The last time I looked at this list, 3 years ago, it stated that Washington State required brakes on anything over 3,000 pounds. However, I do not remember the column "Brake Laws Towed Cars". Has that column always been there or is this something new?

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
I tow a 2010 MCS 6 speed manual hardtop. I use a separate battery disconnect when the vehicle is hooked up and ready to tow to keep the battery from discharging. No, no brake system. (and yes, I've heard all the freakin' arguments about the brake systems, thank you). I've put a little over 3000 miles on it being towed and I use a double cable / chain system in addition to the hidden hitch.

Mini officially states they can't be towed, yet both the major tow system manufactors make kits for them. The new (2011 to current) frame and body of the Mini has changed significantly and the new ones have no tow package yet (I was at the Mini dealer today and had a chance to see one of the new ones up on the rack - impressive, larger, but too bulky as a tow application IMHO).

Good luck with your choice!

Old 03-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry, on my post I made a mistake should have said 91 octane NOT 97.
I think all Mini Coppers say to use premium fuel.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Should you use an aux braking system?...... This answer may sound strange

But if you use the US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator, or the new Invisible Brake (Who makes that one?) You won't have a problem with the towed's battery.. Both of these systems use battery power so both of them have a way for the motor home to charge the towed's battery... Alas there are many systems that use the towed's battery.. These two are the only ones I know that re-charge it.. The rest you should add a "Towed Charge" kit.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
I tow a 2010 MCS 6 speed manual hardtop. I use a separate battery disconnect when the vehicle is hooked up and ready to tow to keep the battery from discharging. No, no brake system. (and yes, I've heard all the freakin' arguments about the brake systems, thank you). I've put a little over 3000 miles on it being towed and I use a double cable / chain system in addition to the hidden hitch.

Mini officially states they can't be towed, yet both the major tow system manufactors make kits for them. The new (2011 to current) frame and body of the Mini has changed significantly and the new ones have no tow package yet (I was at the Mini dealer today and had a chance to see one of the new ones up on the rack - impressive, larger, but too bulky as a tow application IMHO).

Good luck with your choice!
Sorry, meant to insert a picture of the hidden hitch (connectors) without the hitch installed. Plus if you look to the left and right of the lower grill you can see the paddle disconnect for the battery, and the cable plug for the lighting package. Approximately 5 inches had to be cut out of the lower grill for the installation. But frankly from a distance its hardly noticible with the black background. Sorry I forgot!
Click image for larger version

Name:	RoadMaster.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	18621
Old 03-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Well, I picked up our Mini yesterday..... Ordered the tow brackets (not cheap) so we should have it ready to hit the road in a few weeks.... Headed for Nashville in mid-April for a couple of weeks and look forward to taking our new toy....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-684465336.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	563.9 KB
ID:	18656
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
The only thing I know is the automatics need a tow dolly and the 5 or 6 speed tow all four down. Shoot you would not even know it is back there. Might need a drop hitch though.
If you did a search you would find many posts about towing a mini

For example here is one of mine - towing a 2005 MINI

Well I do. The dealer said he knew of no reason why you could not tow it 4 down - if you have the manual transmission. He did ask that I let him know if it registered mileage when towing/ - It doesn't. I have had the Mini about 6 months and it tows like a dream and (so far) no indication that there has been, or will be, any transmission damage.

Mini says - in the 2005 owner's manual page 136 -

"Towing Methods
In some countries it is not permitted to tow the vehicle with a tow bar.... Familiarize yourself with the towing regulations for the country in which you are driving in.

"Being Towed

Make sure the ignition key id position 1; otherwise the steering lock could engage and prevent the vehicle from being steered.

"with a tow bar:

Only attach the tow bar to the towing eyelets. Other parts of the vehicle could otherwise be
damaged

Now all this (and more) information seams to be aimed at towing a disabled vehicle. But I think it is very significant that there is no restriction on the speed or distance that the vehicle can be towed. I think that if you could tow a MINI any distance at any speed when disabled you could do the same when it is running right.

And I have made one or more about towing my 2010 MINI

Try it and you'll like it

PHESPE
Old 03-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
One more question guys....

When you disconnect the battery to tow your mini, how does that effect everything in car - radio, windows, etc.... Do you have to reprogram everything?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post

When you disconnect the battery to tow your mini, how does that effect everything in car - radio, windows, etc.... Do you have to reprogram everything?
I have to reset the clock and the radio preset buttons (which you do moving city to city anyway) but the service indicators are stored in the key fob and are not affected. Anything you have set up - such as auto down on windows and stuff, are also "saved" by the key fob. It's really not that big of a deal.

Try this forum for information: North American Motoring - Powered by vBulletin
Old 03-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post

Don't understand

I never disconnect(ed) the battery in my MINI (either one -2005 or 2010) When Towing.

Why would I want/need to do so?

PHESPE

PS:
There is no need to leave the key in the ignition on the later MINIs such as my 2010 - there was on my 2050.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHESPE View Post
Don't understand

I never disconnect(ed) the battery in my MINI (either one -2005 or 2010) When Towing.

Why would I want/need to do so?

PHESPE

PS:
There is no need to leave the key in the ignition on the later MINIs such as my 2010 - there was on my 2050.
PHESPE - my 2010 (MCS) only unlocks the steering wheel when the key is in the ignition and the button pressed to the 1st indent (ACC). (I than use the battery disconect to keep the battery from draining during towing) Is there something I'm missing, as it sounds like you're not having to do this?

I'm always willing to learn something new!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
PHESPE - my 2010 (MCS) only unlocks the steering wheel when the key is in the ignition and the button pressed to the 1st indent (ACC). (I than use the battery disconect to keep the battery from draining during towing) Is there something I'm missing, as it sounds like you're not having to do this?

I'm always willing to learn something new!

Mnnnn.... Me too!

My 2010 MINI ClubmanS has a key-Fob (Round Electronic thingy) that has the Lock/Un-Lock buttons on it. It functions like a Key but the ClubmanS does not ever lock the Steering Wheel.

My 2005 MINI did indeed lock the Steering Wheel, so, like you say, it needed the "Key" in so it could be towed.

When I bought the ClubmanS I did not even look at any other MINI so I just assumed that all MINIs had the "New/Improved" Electronic Key.

For the 2005 MINI that I towed I ran a "charge line" from the MH to the Mini to provide +12v to keep the battery charged - simple - as it was just another wire added to the Brake System control

As you said I learn something every day.

PHE
Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #27

We have towed our 03 S Mini Cooper 4 down for three years with no problems. We have the six speed and it works well. I like to place a sign in the back window that says "I'm pushing as hard as I can." which brings laughter from the truckers. Easy to tow and fun to drive when we arrive.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #28
RWP

We have an 08 Clubman S 6 speed, along with the Air Force One braking system. Blue Ox tow bar. The braking system is expensive, no argument there, but the added safety is a comfort.