Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Towing a Mini Cooper

Anyone out there towing a Mini Cooper?? If so, tell me you experience with it....I'm considering getting one to tow...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
The only thing I know is the automatics need a tow dolly and the 5 or 6 speed tow all four down. Shoot you would not even know it is back there. Might need a drop hitch though.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #3

I own a 2007 mini S and I can tell you two things for sure:
1) The owners manual, even for the 6 speed, does not condone all wheel down towing.
2) Many folks ARE TOWING the 6 speeds all wheels down without any reported issues.

We plan on towing our mini on a dolly. Now this will be a major change for us as we've been towing cars with 4 wheels down behind our motorhomes since 1995. We have, however, never towed a car behind us that the manufacturer stated not to tow 4 wheels down.
We are going with a dolly for several reasons. They are:
A) I really don't want to "carve holes " in the mini grill to accommodate the base plate attachment points.
B) I'll be towing the mini with my new, downsized, Class B Sprinter based Winnebago ERA. Because I'm towing with something smaller than the 40' Class A's we're used to, I feel I need brakes on the towed vehicle (dolly). I do know, I was taking a chance on my previous towing situation and was planning on going the brake install on my Allegro Bus if we had not downsized. I really don't like any of the current toad brake systems and the dolly we're buying has surge brakes so that's taken care of for us.
C) Yes, the owners manual is also a factor. Clutches and transmissions for these cars costs a "ton".

So, that's what we're doing, I will say I've gone back and forth several times! I really have no strong feelings /recommendations on which method is the best.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I've towed my Mini many miles four wheels after checking the Remco website. Application Charts | Remco Towing
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
1ciderdog.....

Do you have issues with running battery down while towing?? Is there a fuse you pull?? Do you put the key in accessory or just leave it in ignition?? How difficult was it to mount the tow bar base plates?? Sorry Bob for all the questions... Just want to get it right...
Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I have not had a battery problem with the Mini (Can't say that about the CRV). I just turn everything off and leave the key in the aux position. I did install the base plate and had no problem but have installed base plates on other cars a few years ago. I had to remove the plastic around or under the bumper. The base plate is designed to use existing bolts. And I may have had to trim the plastic a bit but nothing major. If you are accustomed to turning a wrench &b minor mechanic work it is not a challenge. I used red loctite and added a safety cable that goes around the baseplate to the frame. I think the cable was an option available when I purchased the kit.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have towed our 2003 Cooper with CVT (Auto) transmissiion on a Demco Kar Kaddy SS with surge brakes for many, many miles. Cooper has Aero package front and side air dams. Have had no problem with tow dolly coming in contact with front or lower air dam panels. The Cooper tracks along just great, hardly know that it is there. Have had no problems with this combinations and would do it all over again. Like the folding dolly, makes it easier to deal with when parked. When loading I drive the front tires up to the front chocks, set the emergency, install the straps, snug them up, release parking park, tighten the straps then put the transmission in park.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #8

Mini Cooper Toad

We tow a 2004 Mini Cooper S 4 wheels down. I went to Advance Auto and purchased a cheap battery disconnect. My battery is in the back, and I put it on the negative side of the battery. After I get hooked up I disconnect the battery and turn on the key (my steering locks, I understand newer MIni's do not), put the car in neutral and away we go.
lms1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ims1943....

Question: do you use a toad auxiliary braking system with your mini??? If so, what kind... Mini only weighs abt 3200 lbs and my MH is close to 30,000 lbs... Shouldn't even know its back there....
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Here is a list of the states and what is required for braking systems on towed cars.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
Here is a list of the states and what is required for braking systems on towed cars.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
And don't believe what you read there. I know for a fact that it's wrong for OR and WA, they did get it right for CA though and that's what OR and WA should be.
Even so it's the most accurate one I've found.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tow a 2004 Mini Copper 5 speed 4 down with no problems.
On this model we just turn the IGN key off after running but do not remove key,the steering wheel will remain unlocked until key is removed.Never had a problem.
Also on this model of Mini, It has rear fog lights (red) that I disconected and used for tow lights. Just changed the lamps to a dual type lamp.
I used a Blue Ox base plate .
Did some mods to the base plate after installation to raise the height. I did this to prevent using a 10-12' drop hitch. Now have about a 22" height from Mini to MH which keeps tow bar close to level. (Sorry I do not have any photos)
The Mini tows great 4 down with the standard trans. Tracks well, light weight, and much more fun to drive than other small cars. Just dont like the cost of 97 octane required to run it.
kstrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here are some pics of the Blue Ox base plate w/ a Roadmaster cross bar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	032.JPG
Views:	620
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	18595   Click image for larger version

Name:	033.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	18596  

Name:	034.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	18597   Click image for larger version

Name:	035.JPG
Views:	723
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	18598  

Name:	036.JPG
Views:	499
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	18599   Click image for larger version

Name:	037.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	18600  

Name:	038.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	18601   Click image for larger version

Name:	044.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	18602  

kstrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #14

Mini Cooper Toad

Although I do not believe that brakes are needed while towing the Mini, we do use the Ready Brake Surge system tow bar

I have to use a 6" drop, but so far that's not a problem

As was said in an earlier post the Mini is a fun car
lms1943 is offline   Reply With Quote