Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #1

Towing a new 15 GMC Sierra

My 2015 Sierra HD Denali will be here in two weeks. I plan to rig and tow 4 down and of course disconnecting the neg battery lead (per GM). I plan on one of the high amp DC rotary switches and locating it where I do not have to open the hood to operate.
Anyone done this and if so where did you locate the switch.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #2

Bumping to get in on this thread. I need to do the same thing with a 2015 Yukon (and bummed about it, will missed the 2009 GM arrangement for 4 down).

2014 Newmar Ventana 3436

Old 09-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #3

Well gang,
It's always nice that GM and any other manufacturer designs and installs the latest improvements in technology. We all appreciate that. That's why we buy new cars. But, in an effort to improve their products, GM kind-a took a step backwards, (in reference to us folks that tow anyways) by making us remove the negative battery cable when flat towing it. Apparently inconveniencing us towers was not on the top of the list for redesign.

So, with that being said, if I were to purchase a new GM truck for flat towing as a toad, and had to disconnect the battery on a regular basis, I too would come up with an alternative way so as to not have to open the hood each and every time. I mean, who'd want to pull into a campsite at night, in the rain, and get out your trusty wrench and go to work, under the hood, to connect your battery? NOT ME. If you're one of the folks that already do that, and it doesn't bother you, well, that's fine. It's a preference thing.

So, I think I'd come up with plan A. And that would be to install a seriously heavy duty electronically controlled, solenoid that would be controlled from a toggle switch, either nicely installed on the dash or, at the very least, nicely installed "Under" the dash. That way, flip the toggle switch, DISONNECTED, flip it again, CONNECTED!

And, that solenoid would be able to handle the full load of the trucks electrical demand, on a daily basis or, otherwise known as "continuous duty". Now, I'm no electrical wizard but, I'd bet that system would not be very hard to design and install. After all, there's some form of it on just about every motor home made, in terms of those "Aux batty switchs" or, other variations of it. Some of you boys that have electrical experience could draw up a simple schematic and post it on here for the folks needing such a thing would be really nice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Do you lose radio and other settings with the battery disconnected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky.bailey View Post
Bumping to get in on this thread. I need to do the same thing with a 2015 Yukon (and bummed about it, will missed the 2009 GM arrangement for 4 down).

2014 Newmar Ventana 3436

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Do you lose radio and other settings with the battery disconnected?

My guess is you lose all presets with the battery disconnect. Pain in the *ss, definitely; has to be another way that will hopefully surface.

2014 Newmar Ventana 3436
Old 09-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky.bailey View Post
My guess is you lose all presets with the battery disconnect. Pain in the *ss, definitely; has to be another way that will hopefully surface.

2014 Newmar Ventana 3436
Hoping someone would surface with that other way, my truck should be here soon and I will rig it out to tow.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why does the bat need to be disconnected?
Old 09-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #8

Disconnecting the battery every time will also be constantly resetting the ECM, so the vehicle will never learn optimum shift points or fuel to air. You won't loose your radio presets, but may have to adjust the clock. On my last Silverado I did some work on it and disconnected the battery. A week later I took it in for it's every other year state smog check. They could not pass it until it had 50 cycles of engine on and off where the ECM had some history and an opportunity to record any faults.
Could you run a charge line if it's a battery issue?
There must be some reason for this requirement.
I now tow a Trailblazer. Manual does say to pull a fuse. I never have and from all the posts I've seen of the subject, no one does. Has not been an issue.
Hope you find an easy solution, that will be a great vehicle, safe with lots of room. It's a bit too heavy for my current coach, otherwise I'd be with y'all.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #9

Believe the need for battery disconnect is related to electronic park and steering lock functions. That said, our 2012 Cad SRX has electronic park and same remote key access as our 2015 Yukon and I do not remove neg bat post nor any fuses when I use the SRX for toad. Battery stays charged enough to start on the SRX after a full day towing.

Still researching why I have to disconnect batt on Yukon,,,,,,,,,

2014 Newmar Ventana 3436
Old 09-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #10

The 2014 and 15 GMC Sirerra's manual reads you must disconnect the battery or damage to the electric steering system can occur.
This is one of the reasons.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #11

well, we have 2 threads on this now, so hopefully someone that has come up with a solution for the disconnect will chime in soon.
I am still waiting on my 15 truck to be delivered.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #12

It's a problem that's probably going to get worse as more electronic gadgets are added. I just read that for 2015 the Honda is not towable as they have gone to a CVT transmission. Rather than disconnect the battery each time, I would look into disconnecting the sensors that are presenting the tow issue. Would be more complicated to set up, but easier in the long run and not having to disconnect the ECM each time you tow.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Any updates of solutions for 2015 GMC Yukon flat towing? There has to be a better way than disconnecting the negative battery cable.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #14

Well Gang,
Unless you're a GM ENGINEER, or and automotive electronics design expert, and you're going to tow your BRAND NEW GM truck, I'd most likely follow GMs advice on just how to prep for towing your new truck. They get pretty sticky about paying out warranty on situations where the owner DID NOT FOLLOW prescribed procedures for certain operations and, there was extensive DAMAGE DONE.

Now, I'm not chastising anyone here. It's your truck, or will be when it arrives, and, if GM calls for the battery to be disconnected, I'm pretty sure they've got a fairly good reason to do so. The newer the trucks and cars out there, the newer the electronics are. And, without asking any GM service center or, dealership about the reason for the disconnect, I'm thinking it has to do with the electronic power steering that's in the newer trucks.

We don't have to disconnect anything on our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 but, as I understand it, there's been some substantial changes in the prepping for flat towing in the '12's and newer.

Now, just how you go about doing the disconnect is, of course up to you. If you'd like to use a "Cole Hersey" rotary battery disconnect, then that will work. Or, you can do what I suggested earlier and that is to set up a small, toggle switch in or on the dash. And, that switch will control a large solenoid or, relay as some call it, and that will be the battery disconnect. That way you don't have run the large battery cables to the inside of the cab and, put that rather large rotating switch in there someplace.

All you'd see is a small, toggle, either conveniently hidden or, out in the open if you prefer. There's other types of disconnect on the market too. I used one on my Jeep Rubicon that had a red, plastic Key that you turned to either disconnect or, connect the battery cable. And, the good part of that one was, when you turned it to disconnect, that plastic key REMOVED from it's socket which, gave you an instant security system with the simple turn of a plastic key. It worked flawless.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing