Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #1

Towing a new 4WD MINI

So I've seen information here and elsewhere that MINIs can be used as TOADs. I'm wondering, though, specifically about the new 4WD models. Any problems there?

Thanks much,
Wildblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would check the owner's manual, ask the dealer, and then the manufacturer just to be sure before buying. It's always good to get it in writing. That way if something doesn't work the way you thought it would you're not left saying "a bunch of people in a chat group forum said it would be ok".
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #3

Sure thing. Good words there. I'm just hoping there might be somebody here that has done it themselves.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check these trailers out. I'm looking for a trailer for my Mini and found these, a little costly but looks good! Smart Trailer USA - - - Specifications and Pricing
TNMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I tow a standard shift Mini front wheel drive. The owners manual recommends it NOT be towed four wheels down. Remco says it CAN be towed four wheels down and I do tow it four down. I do not know of anyone towing a Mini 4WD so cannot answer that question. Like most cars Mini's with automatic transmissions can not be towed four wheels down.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildblu View Post
I'm wondering, though, specifically about the new 4WD models. Any problems there?

Thanks much,
Not that I'd take it as a definitive answer, I did ask that question at a recent (January 2011) Car Show in Washington, DC. I was looking at the Cooper S Countryman All4 and asked the representative about towability four down. He didn't know, so he made a quick cell phone call to, he claimed, a factory representative. The answer I was given was, "No. The only way to tow the All4 model is on a trailer."

Take care,
Stu
=========================================
"A superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the demonstration of his superior skills."

777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Seems like I have read in the past that you couldn't tow any All Wheel Drive vehicle
Old 04-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNMike View Post
Seems like I have read in the past that you couldn't tow any All Wheel Drive vehicle
Correctomundo.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I own, and tow, a 2010 Subaru Outback (manual transmission) that is an "All Wheel Drive vehicle".

The Subaru owner's manual says it can be towed four down.

The Subaru dealer told me it could be towed four down.

The manufacturer's rep (via 1-800 phone call) told me it could be towed four down.

Remco's website indicates it can be towed four down.

I have towed it without any apparent damage.

I'm pretty sure that it's OK to tow a All Wheel Drive Subaru Outback with a manual transmission all four down.

For my Outback, the manual transmission is the key. The info I've seen indicates that you CAN NOT tow (four down) with an automatic or CVT.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
NOT correctomundo. 2011 Jeep GC Overland is an All Wheel Drive vehicle and it tows 4 down easily. In addition, automatic transmissions can be towed 4 down easily as long as the transfer case can be prepped to be put in Neutral. I would be shocked to find that it is possible to tow 4 down a Mini that is an all wheel drive vehicle.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The key here is the transmission (as in the outback) and the difference between a 4 wheel drive vehicle with a transfer case capable of being put in neutral and an all wheel drive vehicle with no transfer case. The Mini is NOT 4 wheel drive, it is all wheel drive, so any comparisons to a vehicle with a transfer case is apples and oranges. There are exceptions to every rule of course and I guess it should be that you can't tow an AWD vehicle if it has the CVT or is an automatic. The OP will need a dolly to tow his Mini.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Honda CR-V, 2005 can be towed w/ AWD.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #13

Reviving a very old thread

Has anybody been able to tow the AWD version of the mini cooper 4 down? How did you do it?
Biggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggerbob View Post
Has anybody been able to tow the AWD version of the mini cooper 4 down? How did you do it?
My understanding is the AWD cannot be towed 4 down OR on a tow dolly. We tow our 4x2 on a tow dolly.