Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #1

Towing a Nissan PU

I want to tow flat down my 2004 Nisson 4 wd PU but am getting conflicting information as to whether possible to do without damaging the transmission. Remco referred me to Southwest Driveline in Yuma AZ and they state they can put in a disconnect of the rear drive and that I can then safely tow with 4 wheels on the ground. A poster on another site said that it will not protect my transmission since the front wheel drive shaft will still be spinning and hence potentially hurt the transmission. Has anyone out there towed a Nisson like mine .Hate to get rid of my truck and buy a Jeep but may have to

thanks all

Jim
jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Since you say your Nissan is a 4x4, does it have a "Neutral" position in the transfer case? Normally, a 4 wheel drive vehicle that has a Neutral position in the transfer case can be flat towed since, if the transfer case is in Neutral, the front and rear driveshafts are disconnected from the transmission and are essentially free-wheeling. In case Nissan has something weird going on in the transfer case regarding internal lubrication, though, you should find something on this subject in the Towing section of your Nissan owner's manual - specifically, does it say anything about Recreational Towing the 4x4 pickup?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
You can learn a lot from the Owner's Manual.

2004 nissan 4x4 repair manual - free eBooks download

Section 9, pg. 23 says an automatic must be put on a dolly, manual trans. can be towed 500 miles with transfer case in 2H range. Check with Nissan about a disconnect to the rear axle and/or damage to transmission with front axles moving. You r truck might also be equipped with auto-disconnect hubs that must be dealt with in towing. See the manual.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #4

the owners manual says can not be towed . the pu is not full time 4wd there is a toggle switch you activate to go into 4wd. there is no visible transfer case not like I have seen on Jeeps hence no neutral that I can use. My thought was as long as the rear end differential was disconnected and I had the pu in 2wd I would be OK but now not so sure

Jim
Old 11-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
We tow our 2008 Nissan Frontier. We have towed it for several years. It is a 4x4 with a manual transmission. The automatic trannys are not towable. Dollies won't work with this PU. There is no neutral position on the 4x2, 4x4, 4 LO selector switch. The manual says to leave it in 4x2 & the tranny in neutral. The Titan PU is not flat towable.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #6

rsflight are you saying that even if I disengage the rear it still is not towable and yes it is an automatic
Old 11-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
If you use a dolly and use a drive shaft disconnect, I guess it should work. Your goal should be to insure that no shafts going into the tranny are turning as you tow it down the road. The other option to consider is to put it on a trailer. The trailer approach is simpler, cheaper, and you know it's safe. Consider if the trailer & truck weights push you beyond the RV's max GCVW.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
jmoffat, does your pick up have locking hubs on the front axles? They disconnect the wheels from the axles, thus preventing the rotation of the axle in the transmission bearings that are not lubed when engine is off. I've not experienced 'lockers,' I don't know if they would allow your truck to be towable, but I'm sure someone on here can chime in.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing