Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #1

Towing a pick up

Is it possible to tow a small pick up truck backwards on a tow dolly?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I seem to recall seeing several ads by dolly manufactures recommending against it but I think it's more of them covering themselves from liability.

Now if your dolly does not have a swivel platform that would be a different story as there would be no pivot point and the tires would always be pulling at the straps when you were making turns.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I towed a 1/2 ton Chevy 2 wheel drive backwards on a dolly for awhile. It was a pain in the butt !! You must get it very straight on the dolly or it will track crooked !! It can be done but I found it to be a hassle !! Good luck JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Even the dolly manufacturers do not recommend putting a vehicle on a dolly backwards. I think I would take their advise.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #5

Thanks to all for their answers. Now I see so many RV's towing vehicles with tow bars....how is this possible? I guess I am from the old school and without changes, this would not have been possible years ago. What has changed on the transmissions to allow this?
Darby
Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You can tow a 4 wheel drive vehicle, including a pick-up truck, with all four wheels on the ground if the transfer case has a neutral position.

And several automatic transmissions in current use allow towing with no modifications at all. They have a lubricating pump that is driven by the driveshaft, so that fluids circulate in the tranny while being towed. That's all it takes.

And some of the cars you see being towed may have been modified with the addition of a transmission lube pump that keeps the tranny lubricated while under tow. Others may have had a drive shaft disconnect added, which accomplishes the same thing as the 4WD Neutral position.

Most standard transmission vehicles are also towable without modifications.

In short, there are a large number of vehicles that are easily towable "four down".
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When automatic transmissions first came out for cars many were built with the pumps driven by the output shaft and were towable with the rear wheels (no front wheel drives back then) on the ground. Over the years they started to have more and more built with front pumps so there was no lubrication supplied when the engine was off which caused the no tow condition.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote