Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Towing a Porsche in an enclosed trailer.

Does anybody know the best type trailer to tow a Porsche Boxster fully enclosed? Also, where is best place to buy in N. Cal East Bay?

4kix66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor
I use an enclosed 20' Featherlite trailer and i like it a lot. Featherlite has a very, very good reputation and my experience is consistent with this. All aluminum construction means a very light tow weight and more capacity for the load - although your car will be pretty light.

FYI: The best way to load a car (in my opinion and experience) is to equip your trailer with an electric winch with a wireless remote. Roll the window down in the car so you can make any steering corrections, and use the key fob to pull it on in. Really easy, really safe.

Here's a pic of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00916.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1420  

1996-2015 Jeep Wrangler
Toad Wiring Solutions
Cool Tech LLC
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Haulmark is another good brand. Check out eBay or Craig's List.
Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
FYI: The best way to load a car (in my opinion and experience) is to equip your trailer with an electric winch with a wireless remote. Roll the window down in the car so you can make any steering corrections, and use the key fob to pull it on in. Really easy, really safe..
So that's how they do it!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Appalachian Campers
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
So that's how they do it!
Doesn't have to be wireless, a long coiled extension for the regular control works wonders, while not as convienent makes life so easy, especially when it's time to get out of said car. Trailers are tight!

Funny, this exact question led ended with a threatening profanity laden PM sent to me on RV.net, after reporting it, literally nothing was done I decided to not go back. Got better things to do.
2001 HO Cummins powered Dodge 2500
2014 Sierra 346RETS
Nights camped in 2014-28
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
also look at trailex.com for aluminum trailers that can handle low clearance cars.
2012 Winnebago Adventurer 35P, Roadmaster F+R sway bars, Blue Ox Tiger Trac, 06 HHR toad
past:2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G
LandHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
Get an extended trailer tongue to avoid crunching the back of the motorhome during sharp manuevering turns.

The winch is a good idea. I keep putting off getting one for my open car trailer.

The suggestion about low clearance cars is a good one. I don't know about the option mentioned above, but you will want to take clearance into consideration and be very careful the first time you load.

Also consider getting tie-down hooks in front and behind each tire and use over the tire tie-down straps.
09 Newmar Ventana 3942 (bunkbeds for the munchkins)
08 Ford Taurus X AWD Toad
69 Road Runner Convertible 528 Hemi 4 Speed
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
I have towed our 944 for the past 5 seasons using a Vintage/Millineum 24 ft., regular construction. 20 ft would be big enough, but very limiting in extra space for say a scooter, or extra wheels, cabinet or shelf. Aluminum is very nice and will hold it's value if taken care of, but initial cost is considerably higher. Get the extended frame/tongue, it will keep you out of trouble when backing up. Overall weight may be a consideration as well. We tow quite a bit of equipment, wheels, tires and tools, with our gasser with no problem though. Yes, a winch is helpful, but in reality, I use mine little. I have a big tire rack down the upper right side of my trailer, but still, with a little practice and maybe even an assistant up front, you can drive it in, There is plenty of room to squeeze out of the door. Low clearance is not an issue except on the front lower nose. A stock Boxster should be fine most of the time, as most trailers are beavertail in the rear. However, sometimes depending on the lay of the ground or the angle of the parked trailer, you may have to place boards in front of the front wheels when going on or off the ramp to prevent nose drag, but my car is very low, and I have had minimal problems. Also, in a pinch, if you have no boards, you can raise the front of the trailer (while hooked up) a little to change the angle. We tie down using axle straps through the wheels, avoiding the valves. Cross front tie down straps in an "X", and rear tie downs straight away. Leave car out of gear once tied down, but remember this when you release the straps!

Carl and Valarie * 1997 National RV Dolphin 535,
2003 Jeep Wrangler, 944 Porsche NASA-GTS/2,
Yamaha Roadstar Silverado/Yamaha CT175/Honda Spree, 24ft Vintage Trailer
CARVAL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote