Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #1

Towing a Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel

Hello. Just got a new 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel and I have a couple of questions before my madden voyage.:

1. When the truck is placed into "Neutral Position" for towing, according the manual, is this all that is required.

A. Is the steering wheel unlocked?
B. Does the truck rack up mileage or is there something else I need to do prior to towing so I do not rack up the mileage.
C. I am missing something?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
I don't know if they have changed the setup or not.
I have to go through a certain sequence to get my transfer case into Neutral. 2012 Ram. Once you have done that you are good to go.
No your truck doesn't rack up any mileage while towing.
Your steering wheel will be unlocked unless they moved the key back up to the steering column.
Do you have the sequence to get your transfer case into neutral.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Page 725 of your Owner's Manual explains the procedure. file:///C:/Users/donsh/Downloads/201..._35-OM-5th.pdf

I like to print the directions and then laminate them and keep the in the glove box. This way you can follow the directions exactly, until you get use to doing it. Your directions are fairly long because there are several models, transfer cases and air ride suspension to deal with.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:18 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Hello Judy Francis,

I yesterday purchased a 2014 Ram and today pulled it 500 miles behind our MH. Not a diesel, it did have the 8 speed electronic transmission. Completely unsure I followed the owners manual and everything went well. Over the past 5 years I had a Grand Cherokee which followed the exact same "neutral" process, it worked every time and never let us down. Wishing you the same success.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Francis View Post
Hello. Just got a new 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel and I have a couple of questions before my madden voyage.:

1. When the truck is placed into "Neutral Position" for towing, according the manual, is this all that is required.

A. Is the steering wheel unlocked?
B. Does the truck rack up mileage or is there something else I need to do prior to towing so I do not rack up the mileage.
C. I am missing something?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you
1. NO, there are several things you must do that you forgot.
Install the Base Plates, a braking system and hook up the lights.
If your braking system is a portable one then make sure you add a trickle charge from the MH to the Ram so you won't run down your battery.

A. YES
B. NO
C. Yep, have fun

Tags
diesel, tow, towing