Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #1

Towing a Smart Car 4x2

Anyone towing a smart car just wondered if you like it ? was thinking about getting one and towing behind my Winnebago Voyage.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebrit View Post
Anyone towing a smart car just wondered if you like it ? was thinking about getting one and towing behind my Winnebago Voyage.
This link might give you an idea... Bob

Pulling a trailer with a car loaded on it

Saw this also...don't know how "smart" it is towing this way...

http://http://www.smartusainsider.co...art-car-behind

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry about that last link, I couldn't get it to work either...

The general idea was that all four of the people that were towing their Smart cars 4 down, used no supplemental braking...! With the car only weighing 1700 lbs, I guess they felt that it was not necessary. Don't know how 'smart' that is?? Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just bought our Smart and since my first choice for a toad is my Royal Star Venture I decided to go with an enclosed trailer big enough to haul both. However I did meet a fellow this morning who is flat towing his Smart but only on the rear two wheels. He has a lift mechanism built on to the rear of his RV and a receiver type hitch on the front of the Smart. He lifts the Smart about 20" off the ground in front and is able to tow it like a trailer. I didn't see it hooked up but it looks like a very well built system. He says it's easy to back up too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MoHo and new trailer (Small).JPG
Views:	58
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	8313  
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've been towing ours 4-down for over two years now - pretty much all over California. We use the Blue Ox system - mainly because when we bought it Blue Ox was the only company with the available base plate; Roadmaster was a bit late to the scene, but they do offer a baseplate now. The smart manual says you need a battery disconnect switch installed but that's because a few people have towed with the key in the wrong position. If you make sure you turn the key off then no disconnect is needed. But most people have found that using a bungee cord to secure the steering wheel makes a big difference - the front wheels can go lock-to-lock under certain conditions without the bungee.

As for supplemental braking - with the car weighing 1700 lbs many feel they don't need extra braking. That is something only you can decide.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is online now   Reply With Quote