Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #1

Towing a Smart Car Questions

Do I need to install a battery cut-off switch? If so, given the location of the battery is there one that can be attached to the dash? Also how much play should be in the bungee cord for the steering wheel. Will be towing with a Sprinter based class B.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdavew View Post
Do I need to install a battery cut-off switch? If so, given the location of the battery is there one that can be attached to the dash? Also how much play should be in the bungee cord for the steering wheel. Will be towing with a Sprinter based class B.
rtdavew,
Well Sir, I can't really answer any of your questions due to the fact that I've no experience with Smart car towing. But, if I may suggest, there's some members either on this forum or, on RV.net called "John and Angela" that tow, two different Smart cars. Now, if I'm not mistaken, they use a trailer for the Smart. But, the trailer is a stout, small, just a hair larger than the car it's carrying. And, when they get to a camp site, the Smart is unloaded and, the trailer is hooked to the Smart and it tows it's own trailer to whatever place they store it in, while camping.

They've had their Smarts now for quite a while and, if I'm also not mistaken, both are diesels. But, don't quote me on that. John brags about his "70 mpg" every now and then when someone brings up MPG on any vehicle. I don't blame him, I'd brag too. I don't know just how much John can help you but, if you can find his user name "John and Angela" and send him a PM, he might be able to answer all your questions.
Scott
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdavew View Post
For the battery switch, the 2008 model did not require a switch, but it was required for the 2009 model, and newer models. We've got a 2008 and do not use a battery switch. You can get the switch from any smart dealer and as far as I know it mounts in the passenger footwell, on the side of the center console.

For the bungee cord the one I use is snug, but not tight. The wheel can move easily, but it is forced back to center easily.

We've been towing ours since we got it in 2008 and have not had any issues yet.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #4

Thanks Fireup. And this is what it looks like.

The trailer is small enough that about 3/4 of it fits underneath the rear of the motorhome, but yeah the smart car can tow its own trailer.

But in answer to your question, yes you must put a battery disconnect switch on the car if you tow it. The bungy cord can be 24 to 30 inches depending how you wrap it around the steering wheel. Not everyone uses a bungy cord but I would if I towed four down. It takes 20 seconds to tie it off to the seat.

Good luck and happy trails.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #5

I have been towing a Smart Car for about 3 years now and I have never disconnected the battery. Problems can arise with the computer if the disconnect sequence is not followed. I bought a battery disconnect switch for about $6 but after doing more research I decided not to put it in.

I made a plate that locks the shifter in place and locks the key in the proper position. This is as fool proof as you can get and only takes seconds to insert and remove. You can lock the car as normal with the setup I use. I have made plates for a couple of Smarty owners who also tow it. I can give you the skinny on how to make one - I have pictures I can send the OP, PM me if you want more assistance on this.

I bought a key without a FOB, so there is no safety issue about someone stealing the car because the key is in it.

I use the bungee cord on the steering wheel and put a white marker on the steering wheel so I can see the wheel move in my camera. It all works slick.

Hope I have been helpful.

Tags
towing