Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Towing a SMART FOR TWO

As per the dealer I bought my 2009 Smart Cabriolet from, it can be towed 4 wheels down and according to the manifacturer's book, you need to install a "battery kill switch"; I wish it could be by pulling out 1 or 2 fuses from the fuse block
BTW the new 2015 Smart will have a CVT transmission and those cannot be towed 4 wheels down.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
After looking into all the mods necessary to tow the Smart car 4 down we opted for a trailer to carry it with. Nothing wrong with 4 down just not what we chose to do. The Smart has proven to be a great get around town car after we get to the RV site.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I opted to buy a car to tow it on its 4 wheels instead of using a dolly to carry my Santa Fe SUV... I got fed up with all the assel after 3 years of dollying my dinghy.
BTW, I've kept my Santa fe that I'll use in the summer time and for snowbirding, I'll tow down my Smart on its 4 wheels.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We are happy with the Smart car. We have gotten as low as 37 mpg and as high as 51 mpg. How are you going to do your lights; wire in diodes or use something external?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
According from the shop that will install the baseplate and the wiring to the dingy, he will use a 4 contact connection to light up the tail lights and the flasher lights, (which include the braking lights) and a kill switch for the battery.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've been towing our smartie since we bought it in March 2008. Total modifications to the car were the addition of the Blue Ox baseplate and wiring kit, and a bungee cord to hold the steering wheel. We just completed a 7000+ mile trip from San Jose, Ca to Norfolk, Va and back with the smartie happily following behind us the entire way.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
According from the shop that will install the baseplate and the wiring to the dingy, he will use a 4 contact connection to light up the tail lights and the flasher lights, (which include the braking lights) and a kill switch for the battery.
when you install the battery disconnect device, install it so that you can reach it from the drivers seat where you will be sitting when you do the check lists on 2 pages in your owners manual.
I am using a Napa device mounted in the center just fwd of the cup holder secured with tie wraps.
the Napa device has a knob that you unscrew to disconnect the battery when you reach that point in the checklists.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
We've been towing our smartie since we bought it in March 2008. Total modifications to the car were the addition of the Blue Ox baseplate and wiring kit, and a bungee cord to hold the steering wheel. We just completed a 7000+ mile trip from San Jose, Ca to Norfolk, Va and back with the smartie happily following behind us the entire way.
Why would you need to hold the steering with a bungee cord ?
Do you do the same Dan L ?
Thanks
Old 06-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
getting ready for another 1200 mile trip up north from Va.
the trailer has done us well
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
our home

missed the file
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks
It's a common issue with some smarts - the front wheels can start oscillating lock-to-lock under certain conditions. The solution is to use a bungee cord to provide resistance for the steering wheel to prevent the oscillation.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #12

Anyone tried one of these?? Granatelli Motor Sports Sure Start Smart: Granatelli Motorsports
My mom uses one in her convertible, and a good friend issues one in her MH, if not used, the truck battery is dead in 48 hours!! She sets it in October and heads to Mexico, then returns in may, turns it off and vrrrroooom like it was running yesterday ... Just a though for you guys that need to leave the key "on"

It is a Hybrid ... it burns both gas AND money!!
ttarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks, I'll try that on my next tow sometime this summer.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:48 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks
NO
I watch my smarty with my back up camera. it follows nicely so far.
the purpose of the bungee cord is to assist with the front wheels returning to straight ahead position after a sharp turn.
where is your battery disconnect device located? you need to be able to reach it from the drivers seat while performing the 2 checklists.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing