Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I've pulled a Miata about 10,000 miles with no drop hitch, even though there is a pretty good height difference.

Never had a problem in all those miles.

I don't want the problem of the hitch dragging on the ground putting a really heavy 12,000 lb load on the receiver assembly.
I don't see where a drop hitch would add anything but the weight of the drop hitch to the receiver.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW

I don't see where a drop hitch would add anything but the weight of the drop hitch to the receiver.
It adds leverage, increasing the force on the hitch during acceleration and breaking, which may eventually weaken the hitch assembly.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Sorry, but we don't believe in "playing the edges of limits." We follow the manufacturer's recommendations, and in our case, it's plus or minus 2". Safety first, always.
Just for clarification...I'm with you Sister Sara.

I'm not advocating playing the edges...it is a fact that some play the edges and some step off the cliff. If you have seen my posts on these kinds of subjects, I don't sanction nor suggest going outside the operation's manual for any system.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
It adds leverage, increasing the force on the hitch during acceleration and breaking, which may eventually weaken the hitch assembly.
Are you sure about that? I would suspect that a wonky angle from toad to the tow bar pivot point would exert much more up/down pressure on the hitch than a properly set drop. As an example, if the toad links were much higher then the receiver, the downward force would be rather significant. Of course the opposite would be true for a low toad anchor point.

A properly measured drop would then align forces on the same angle as the receiver is to the hitch welds. Of course, that assumes you have a good quality drop with no flex. I'm not saying there wouldn't be some up/down pressure on the hitch but much less than a badly misaligned combo of rig to toad set up.

That doesn't even take into consideration the affects on the toad's front end from misalignment. As is the case with the OP, a smaller car will generally have a lower plate connector to hitch problem. If not corrected, the downward forces put on the toad's connection could do damage to the front end of the toad even without any damage to the RV.

Conversely, I would suspect a toad that stands very tall might not suffer the affects on its own front end but the downward forces on the hitch could be rather significant. That assumes that vehicles that tall are probably on the heavy side.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver

Are you sure about that? ........
No, just what I was told in regards to a tow dolly.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
No, just what I was told in regards to a tow dolly.
Fair enough! LOL

I would think a tow dolly would think a tow dolly would also need to have a similar relationship in height to receiver as a tow bar. At least that would make sense. OTOH, regardless of the angle, the front end of the vehicle being towed wouldn't have the same problems.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the two systems would be in relation to each other. When we had our dolly the recommended height was 16-1/2" which put the tongue in a level position. Can't see where it would make any difference if it is a dolly or a tow bar set-up.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Assume for a minute you put a floor jack under the tow hitch and jacked up the rear of the motorhome. All the weight would be on the hitch point.

It's the same thing when the hitch drags on the ground when you, for example, come out of a parking lot.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I think the two systems would be in relation to each other. When we had our dolly the recommended height was 16-1/2" which put the tongue in a level position. Can't see where it would make any difference if it is a dolly or a tow bar set-up.
Our dolly (KK 460) said 18" to top of the ball. I had to get a slight drop receiver then use a 1" extension ball to get it right.

When I towed the Jeep GC four down I had to raise the hitch receiver by 4".
If I were to try towing the '05 Ody four down again I just plug directly into the receiver.

One of the problems with gas units is the long rear overhang. Lower the hitch too much and it'll drag, in fact some come close even with just the receiver as is.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Assume for a minute you put a floor jack under the tow hitch and jacked up the rear of the motorhome. All the weight would be on the hitch point.

It's the same thing when the hitch drags on the ground when you, for example, come out of a parking lot.
I see what you're saying, but I disagree. The rear wheels never leave the ground, so all the weight is never on the hitch.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I see what you're saying, but I disagree. The rear wheels never leave the ground, so all the weight is never on the hitch.
It does happen, takes a tow truck or jacks and blocks (or maybe all) to clear it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
You are correct...all the weight usually isn't on the hitch when it drags. So if the rear end weight was 20,000lbs how much weight WOULD be on it?

That's an unknown but it's a lot more than it's designed for. And that's why I won't use a drop hitch.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Suit yourself. We choose to have a level tow bar per the manufacturer's specification.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
After you get your height differences corrected (personally I would not have more than a 2in. difference) the other point to check is the distance from were your tow bar attaches to the motor home and the swivel point on your tow bar according to Winnebago should be no more than 8 inches. On my old Adventurer on the Workhorse chassis I was 20 inches and broke 5 of the 6 1/2 bolts holding the factory installed hitch to my motor home. Not trying to scare anybody but sometimes when we have to add additional pieces to achieve the proper hitch heights we can loose sight of the safe distances so we do not put additional stress on our hitches or tow bars.

Tags
toad, towing