Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #1

towing a toad

I just purchased a 2009 Thor windsport 33t. Very reasonably priced. Does anyone have any experience with the durability and quality of this motorhome. Finally, any recommendations for a reasonably priced flat tow vehicle. My motorhome sits on a Ford V10 chassis. I would be interested in anyone's experience including overall effects on MPG.
callmemrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemrh View Post
Finally, any recommendations for a reasonably priced flat tow vehicle.
I don't think "a reasonably priced flat tow vehicle" exists when you consider the cost of the vehicle new or used, Tow Bar and equipment, installation of base plates and tail light connection, supplement braking system and installation with break away protection.

But it is what is, and I would not be without one.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #3

Look on craigslist for a toad already set up. They might have everything you need.
Good luck
Old 03-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2 Mr. H. Can't really speak to the Windsport's durability other than the V-10 seems to do well in the MH application. As for the towed vehicle, I would think it really depends on how you plan on it's use.

We think getting off the beaten path is all part of RVing, so we tow 4 down with a Jeep Wrangler, BlueOx base plate, BO Aladdin tow bar and the SMI Stay N Play Duo braking system...this set up tows very well and the hook up is with minimal time/effort. I'm not too sure I'd use the term 'reasonably priced', however. MPG penalty doesn't seem to make much of a difference with our 8.1 gasser except in the mountains - maybe -2 mpg.

There are many autos that will tow 4 down and more with some modification(just check with the manufacturer).

Congrats on the new MH and have fun with the choices.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jeeps and Roadmaster tow systems and brakes!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the forum!

Be sure to check out the Ford section and the Thor section for more specific information on your MH.

As for the best toad, it will be the one that you can use the most. I doubt you will be pulling it more than it will be used for just normal driving, so be sure to decide on a toad that you enjoy to drive and is practical for your situation and what you like to do. As for gas mileage, we just finished a +3,000 mile jaunt pulling our toad and only had a .5mpg difference. But having the toad available when camped was well worth it!

Tags
toad, towing