Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #1

Smile towing a town and country van

I have a 2008 Town and Country van, does anyone tow one of these? I would like to know if you tow with all 4 wheels down does it put miles on the van? If i tow with a dolly so only the back 2 wheels are down is that a better way to go?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #2

Home | Remco Towing
check this site it should answer your question

Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #3

Read this post:

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: 2008 Chrysler Town-N-Country 4 wheels down behind motorhome
Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2008 Town and Country set up with a Blue Ox baseplate and a Remco transmission pump.

If you do a search you'll see some of my problems over the years.

In summary, with a DP, the heat off the motorhome engine does not allow the T&C to properly cool the transmission fluid and you start to lose suction in the pump as the hot transmission fluid foams. If the outside temp is low (under 75 degrees) or it is raining, all is fine. Once the temp goes higher on a dry day, you will not be able to tow the T&C without having the Remco pressure monitor in your cab go crazy with beeping. This usually happens after about 1-2 hours of towing. MANY times we had to unhook and my wife had to drive the T&C separately (she was not happy!).

After about a year of dealing with Remco and not solving the problem, I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee and now tow that problem free.

I did try to tow the T&C again last March and wouldn't you know it but we had a freak 83 degree day and the trans overheated again!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #5

My back-up plan is to just let the van run while towing it. I have read that doing so wouldn't hurt it. Turn it on, put it in neutral, and tow away. Wouldn't use much gas.

I sure hope some solution is formed. My Grand Caravan is wheelchair lift modified. I think Honda makes one too. Hopefully one of them is towable 4 down.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Pirate,

When my tranny has overheated, I have let the minivan idle while I towed. Used almost a full tank of gas from St. Louis to NJ and the miles did register on the odometer.

Also, make sure you do NOT use a supplemental braking system while towing with the engine running. The T&C brakes will lock up as the supplemental brake is made to work with no vacuum assist.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing