Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:39 AM   #15

Just because tranny and 4x system is in NEUTRAL does not means that components are NOT moving. My concern would be whether the parts that are moving are being lubricated...hence that may be why Lexus says "no four down towing". Without access to Lexus engineer...that is a difficult answer and a gamble at best. Cuz you know Lexus will certainly deny ANY tranny related warranty...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2005, 06:51 PM   #16

Dec 13th and we are ready to take off for seattle from mid coast california. I now know why Lesus(toyota) does not condone towing thier product. It s the brakes..... and not the drive line.... The brakes are of the Hydraulic over hydraulic type. Another words instead of using vacuum to bost the brake pedal pressure Toyota uses a electric motor to drive a small hydraulic pump which boosts the brake pedal. Prblem is if I leave the ignition key in the accessory postion, then among other things the hydraulic pump runs and boosts the pedal pressure. I use a Brake Buddy system to automatically apply the brakes when the coach brakes are applied. Trouble is, the Brake
Buddy tends to apply too much pressure and cause my tow car to skid the tires. I have the BB ressure down to 20lbs and it seems to be ok.
However the battery is dead when I arrive at stop for the night. I am now considering providing a fused charging line to the tow car's battery with a diode in line to prevent areverse of battery power into the coach. That should work. Anybody have any negative thought s about this?

Old 12-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #17

Stretch the transfer case is in neutral when in 2 wheel drive.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #18

Wayne:
I would like to correct you on the assumption that the transfer case is in neutral when in two wheel drive. Not so..If the transfer case is in neutral you are not going anywhere. Besides you cannot run a Lexus in 2wd. only 4wd. And as it turns out I now have a lot of experience towing the Lexus behind my Alpine. I have towed it about 5,000 miles now. No problems but the battery going dead while in transit because the key has to be left in the "unlock" position to tow. This causes several systems to remain activated thus the battery problem. I have recently installed a "charging line" from the coach to the Lexus battery and now, no problems at all. And the best part is on arrival. I have a great "ride" to use......
So.....if anybody wants to tow a 4wd Toyota product I can tell them how to do it safely.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:19 AM   #19

I have a 99 toyota 4runner that I want to tow. I'm thinking of doing the same thing you and Tony are doing. Can you post the details? Neutral both the transfer case & Auto tranny add a "charge line". Did you purchase or build your own charge line? If you built it can you post the details. Any other problems besides the steep learning curve on the Brake buddy (flat spots on you new Michelins)? Thank you for all the info!
Old 03-11-2006, 01:06 PM   #20

Hi Niva:
You may have a simpler time of it. If the brake system in your Toyota does NOT include an electric hydraulic boost pump for your brakes, you wont have most of the problems I had. You can tell if you do by lifting the hood and finding the brake master cylinder. If the master cylinder has a rather large disc shaped attachment (a vacuum booster)located beween the master cylinder and the firewall you are lucky.
Mine does not. My 02 LX470 has an electric/hydraulic boost pump located down below the master cylinder. Its a great and powerful system but causes some problems for our purposes. First it will run the battery down because the electric pump is armed and runs occasionaly to keep the hydraulic pressure up, This and a few smaller electrical items, that cannot be turned off are what causes the battery to go dead.
So if you have The vacuum type, here is all you do to tow.
1. unlock the steering
2. transfer case in neutral
3. auto transmission in neutral
4. use an auxillary braking system like the Brake Buddy and set it for the weight of your Toyota
turn off all electrical systems in the Toyota. OR since you cannot turn them all off (like the heater motor continues to run slowly) disconnect the positive terminal on the battery
5. attach lights to the rear of the Toyota. I use the magnetic type offered by The big RV Parts stores.
And you should have no problems....... If you DO have the brake system like mine, email me back and we will go down that path.

Stretch
Old 03-12-2006, 05:34 AM   #21

Stretch,

Thank you for that info. My 4runner does NOT have the electric-hydraulic boost pump. So I just have to wire lights and figure out if I want to disconnect the battery or add a charge line. Thanks again!
Nivla
Old 03-12-2006, 08:23 AM   #22

Good on you!

Tow bars and adapter plates are available from STERLING.

Also remember that after you have towed your Toyota for a day or two and then when you disconnect and drive away, you may smell oil or grease burning or the engine may smell hot. This is of no consequence. It is just road dust or oil that has stuck to the underside, that normally would be burned off as you drove it. Being towed, it stuck to the underside. Takes a few mile and the smell will go away.
Stretch
Old 04-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #23

I presently tow a '99 RX300 AWD. It has followed me faithfully from Canada to Mexico and back as well as across Western Canada.

I must mention that I have had to replace the transmission with a $4000 (CDN) Lexus rebuilt but I hope the problem was due to the fact that Lexus has a very poor transmission and the fact that the vehicle has 210k kms (130,000 miles). Thier trannies fall out even if they've never been towed.

I purchased this vehicle specifically as a toad based on the information in the following Lexus Technical Data Sheet. If your local dealer will not provide a copy of "Technical Information Service Bulletin AX 001-00 dated March 17, 2000" send me your e-mail address and I'll forward the actual document in Adobe.)

Lexus Supports ASE Certification Page 1 of 1
Title:
LEXUS DINGHY" TOWING GUIDE
Models:
All Models
Technical Service
Information Bulletin
March 17, 2000
AX00100
The following chart indicates which Lexus vehicles can be Dinghy towed (towed with four
wheels on the ground) behind a Motorhome.
CAUTION:
Dinghy towing a vehicle behind a Motorhome requires special towing equipment and
accessories. Please see your Motorhome Manufacturer / Service Outlet for
recommended towing equipment.
􀀀 All Models
YEAR MODEL
DINGHY TOWABLE SPEED/DISTANCE
M/T A/T
LIMITS
19902000 LS 400 Not Towable
19922000 SC 400/300 Not
Towable
Not
Towable

19932000 GS 400/300 Not Towable
19921998 ES 300 Not Towable
19992000 ES 300 Yes 55 mph / 200 miles
19992000 RX 300 2WD Yes 55 mph / 200 miles
19992000 RX 300 4WD Yes 55 mph / 200 miles
19961997 LX 450 Not Towable
19982000 LX 470 Not Towable
NOTE:
After "Dinghy" Towing, or at the recommended distance limits, let the Engine idle for
more than 3 minutes before operating the vehicle or resuming towing.
NOTE:
Vehicles that are Dinghy towable will not sustain internal damage to the transmission
or transfer components, as long as speed/distance limits are observed. The
transmission must be placed in the "neutral" position when Dinghy towing. Dinghy
towing these vehicles does not eliminate the possibility of damage to other vehicle
systems (Body, Chassis, Electrical Systems, etc.).
OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OPN T1 T2
N/A Not Applicable to Warranty
ACCESSORIES
Introduction
Applicable
Vehicles
Warranty
Information
Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 AM   #24

According to Remco, who claims to have done lots of the GX 470s, putting the transfer case in neutral takes care of the front wheel drive issue. The rear axle now needs a disconnect to keep from running dry. (The rear axle gets its lubrication by the splash method and it dose not splash well when being towed in neutral, hence the need for the disconnect..) They said that you can get away without the disconnect on short, short trips, but not long ones because of the heat & friction. The Lexus tech said that he cannot approve aftermarket equipment of any kind.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
I have a 03 Tacoma I have the remco drive shaft disconnect it works fine the only problem I have had was I hit a dip in the road hard and the unit came of the rearend and got slung around the drive shaft and put 2 holes in muffler I dont blame Remco it was put on by a RV shop I just hit a dip to hard but new one is being put on I am going to have them weld each side a little to stop that problem great unit
Old 03-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #26

Now lets apply a bit of logic to what you were informed about the "splash system" What possible difference could it make to the inner workings of the Toyota/Lexus differntial if the car is being towed or is being driven? Gears go around either way and the splash system works either way. I think some of our informers are underinformed. So tow it. I have been doing it for a long time now. No problems
Old 03-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #27

After much encouragement from Stretch, I am towing my 2006 LX470. I use the US Gear brake and leave the ignition off with the key in it so the steering doesn't lock. Also added a charge line just to make sure the battery stays charged. This breaking system has enough pull to provide enough stoping power using the toad's brakes. Every time I stop I run through the gears to help lube moving parts. Seems to be doing fine, but, of course, who knows what longer-term ramifications might be in store for my tranny?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nivla:
Stretch,

Thank you for that info. My 4runner does NOT have the electric-hydraulic boost pump. So I just have to wire lights and figure out if I want to disconnect the battery or add a charge line. Thanks again!
Nivla </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nivla, you should not tow the 4runner by merely putting the tranny in N and Transfer case in N. On Tacomas and 4Runners, the transfer case locks the front and rear driveshafts in N. Therefore, if you only put the transfer case in N, it will be like driving on the pavement with 4wd.

Instead, you must:
1. set up your tow bar/dolly on the truck.
2. turn engine off and key out.
3. pull your 4wd ecm fuse, it is on your left hand side, about a 10-15amp fuse, labeled 4wd.
4. put tranny into N and Transfer case into N.
5. insert key and tow away.

This will allow you to tow without having the front and rear tires bind. Your front and rear driveshaft will still be locked together (front will still spin), but the front driveshaft won't engage the front tires because the hubs will not lock. The pulled 4wd fuse prevents the hubs from locking.