Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2005, 03:55 PM   #1

come on............help me!!!! I want to tow four wheels down, a toyota product; specifically a 2002 Lexus LX 470 Suv. It has a H N L type transfer case> It should tow really easy. Put the transfer case in neutral and the trans in either park or neutral and go........ However Toyota/Lexus says nooooooo. You will void the warrantee and ruin the tranny or worse.
I know I have seen and talked to folks who do tow this vehicle. Does any body have any up to date info?????
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2005, 03:55 PM   #2

come on............help me!!!! I want to tow four wheels down, a toyota product; specifically a 2002 Lexus LX 470 Suv. It has a H N L type transfer case> It should tow really easy. Put the transfer case in neutral and the trans in either park or neutral and go........ However Toyota/Lexus says nooooooo. You will void the warrantee and ruin the tranny or worse.
I know I have seen and talked to folks who do tow this vehicle. Does any body have any up to date info?????
Old 10-15-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As far as I know, Toyota does not recommend towing any of their vehicles 4-down. You might check with REMCO.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 04:48 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know about any Toyota model specifically, but I know that some Scions (made by Toyota) can be towed 4 down . . . the owner's manual for our 2006 Scion xA contains specific instructions for doing it properly. BTW --- it has a manual transmission.

Sorry --- this was no help regarding the specific question about the Lexus.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

To the best of my knowledge, Toyota does not sanction towing of ANY of its automatic transmissions.

Remco offers towing kits for only a few Lexus models. Check with them - they truly are the experts in this field.

REMCO is 1 800 228 2481.

http://www.remcotowing.com/
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:26 AM   #6

thanx tsiceman, warren and rv roamer.
I know toyota/lexus does not condone dingy towing. The fact that Remco makes baseplates for the lexus tells me SOMEBODY IS TOWING a Lexus. I need to hear from someone who is actually towing a 4 wheel drive Lexus or Toyota with a neutral position on the transfer case. Remco folks wont commit even though they sell the baseplate.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:02 AM   #7

I tow a Tundra 4x4 4 down. I installed a Remco drive shaft disconect.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 12:14 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know it deviates from the original question, however I tow a Toyota Rav4 Manual tranny and it is absolutely perfect as a toad. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who needs a Toad..

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:42 PM   #9

Hey Wayne:
Thanx for responding. You bring up a good subject. Do you put the Remco disconnect on the rear driveline or the front driveline or both? If you only install it on the rear, why does that work? The front is still driving the gears in the transfer case and perhaps the tranny? Tell me..........
Old 10-26-2005, 05:42 PM   #10

I have towed both a lx470 and landcruiser 2001 &2000 never had a problem been to vegas to fla all over the country no problem trans and transfer in N every time I fill up I run the car for a couple of minutes in drive and reverse
TONY J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:58 PM   #11

Tony:
I am very interested in towing a Lexux LX470. I have an 02 with an automatic and a transfer case. OK, to tow I put transfer case in neutral and transmission in neutral. What about the ignition. If I unlock the steering wheel, the dash lights up. Wont that run the battery down? Is there a fuse I pull or do I just disconnect the battery?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Remco makes towing kits for a couple models of Lexus, but not all of them. You can find which ones in the Applications section of their website. I don't recal whether their kit is a disconnect or a lube pump, but a check on their website or a phone call will answer that.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:36 PM   #13

Thanks to Tony in mass., I got up the nerve to tow my 02 lx470 Lexus SUV. I purchased the base plates from Roadmaster and I purchased a roadmaster "all terain" tow bar. The type that stays with the rv after disconnection. I found that if I do as tony says and put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in neutral it tows like a dream. I averaged 9 mpg going from San Luis Obispo to Ashland Or and return. That is just the same as with my former toad, a 2000 Jeep Grand cherokee. Her are some "teething" problems that I have yet to overcome. Had problems with the Brake Buddy. Their instructions state that for a 5500 lb vehicle the air pressure should be set at 75 lbs. Using that setting the toad brakes locked up "big time" and flat spotted my new Michelins. Oh well. I eventually set the air pressure at 20 lbs and that seems about right. I could feel the toad trying to stop the rv when I applied the rv brakes. Also found that a Lexus does not have an "unlock" position on the ignition switch. It has Lock,accessories, on and start. So I towed it in the "acsessory" position, which did unlock the steering wheel but left the accessories on, which slowly killed the battery. I plan to find the proper fuse to pull and/or have the locking pin removed from the steering wheel. I am heavily leaning on the latter idea cause I wont have to worry about the steering wheel being locked by mistake.
My rig by the way is an 03 Alpine coach 40ft with a cummins ISL400 engine.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:28 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Just a word of caution, Stretch

There is no way you can tell immediately if towing is harming your Lexus. The concern is overheating and lack of lubrication in the transmission and transfer case. Both of these lead to premature - but not instant - failures by increasing wear. You may be shortening the life of your tranny and not know it. On the other hand, maybe you have shortened a 200,000 mile tranny to a 100,000 mile life and not care a wit about it.

Your best preventative is to run the engine, with tranny in gear for a minute or two as often as possible while towing. Run it in both forward gears and reverse. You should also use synthetic fluid in both tranny and transfer case - it is far more heat resistant than dino fluids. Check the tranny fluid for signs of overheating - it will usually change color somewhat and often has a "burnt toast" smell.

Your success (so far) suggests that Toyota is being very conservative in their engineering and that could well be the case. Good luck in the future and keep an eye on that tranny fluid!