Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #1

I have a 2001 Chev Tracker 4wd A/T What position does the transmission have to be in and how fast can I tow it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #2

I have a 2001 Chev Tracker 4wd A/T What position does the transmission have to be in and how fast can I tow it?

Old 04-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
nick12, welcome to iRV2.com. If it is a true 4wd then the transfer case should be in neutral and the transmission can be in park. If it is an all wheel drive then you will want to investigate that it can be towed four flat. CHeck the owners manual for towing the car. It will instruct you as to how if it is possible. Good luck and enjoy our website and forum.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I towed a tracker and there is another consideration, the front wheel hubs have to be unlocked. You should check that there are manual hubs, if not verify that the auto hubs will not lock up automatically..

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:53 PM   #5

Our Tracker has automatic hubs in front-just put transfer case in neutral and transmission in park-nothing else except make sure emergency brake is off. Our usual speed is 60-65 MPH with no problems.

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37B,W22,Bilstein Shocks,Steer Safe Stabilizer,Surge Guard,Remco Tow Bar,Chevy Tracker Toad,BrakePro,FMCA F354676,UltraPower Upgrade,
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nick,
We have a 2003 Tracker and previously towed a 2000. Just put the transfer case in neutral and the automatic tranny in Park. The hubs will unlock automatically, but check the indicator light on the dashboard to make sure the "4WD" indicator is NOT lit. Key should be on to unlock the steering wheel, so make sure radio, fans, etc. are turned off to save the battery. The owners manual says you can tow up to 55 mph and must stop every 200 miles and run the engine a couple minutes to pump the hydrualic fluids through the tranny to relubricate it internally.

We routinely tow at higher speeds when on interstates, 65-68 mph. We always follow the 200 mile procedure, but I know people who have always ignored that too.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:14 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We routinely tow at higher speeds when on interstates, 65-68 mph. We always follow the 200 mile procedure, but I know people who have always ignored that too.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We have a 99 manual trans and the book says to run it every 200 mile also. I can understand an auto but why run a manual trans???

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:12 AM   #8

Thanks, We had a jeep prior to the tracker. It got into an arguement with a guard rail.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:00 AM   #9

nick12, Welcome to the IRV2 website, check with your local GM dealer, he should be able to give you guidelines on how fast and how long you can tow your Tracker behind yor coach. Ed.S
Old 04-04-2006, 05:59 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can understand an auto but why run a manual trans??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe to circulate fluid in the transfer case? Don't know - I've wondered about that myself and never seen an authorative answer.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are some standard trannies around, I believe the Tracker among them, that have the output shaft located above the level of lubricant. Running the engine spins the input shaft and the cluster gearsets and splashes lube around inside the trans, lubing the output side.. Without the engine running, there is no lubrication to the output shaft and bearings, which turn as the vehicle is towed down the road. I have never done so, but I have heard of folks overfilling the transmission to cause the level of lubricant to include the output shaft and its bearings. They claim it works well..rgr...

rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote