Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #1

Towing a Trailer

We are looking into retirement options for full timing. One option is a big motorhome with a towed car. One ideal car for us would be a Jensen Interceptor Convertible. It weighs 3500 pounds and is 15.5 feet long. Obviously that would need to be towed in an enclosed trailer. Can you do that? I do not see anyone talking about towing on a trailer (open or enclosed), I fear their is probably a reason for that.

Option 2 would be a Jensen Healey Roadster. I think that would also need to go on a trailer. It is only 13 feet long and 2400 pounds. Would that be better? (I like the Interceptor a lot better, but I already have a Healey). Another option I think would be to pull the driveshaft on the Healey and drag it or put it on a dolly.

If you have a 42' MH and a 18' - 20' trailer, you are basically a small train. Legal? I do not see it as all that different from towing a 16' long car.

Most places we would go, we would likely stay 1-4 months. So the trailer might be useful as a garage sitting alongside the RV. Is that doable?

Seems like you might be able to squeeze some extra things like Kayaks into such a trailer.

If we go with a motor-home, it would be a diesel pusher I think. Not sure that matters for this discussion, especially as the answer may be no you cannot do any of those things.
Coldjensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #2

Enclosed trailers behind a coach , I see them everywhere I travel. Many pictures of same , here in the forums.

Many newer M/Hs have a 10,000 lb tow rating, some 15,000 , if you're looking at an older RV tow capacity would be a major consideration , a lot are only 5,000lbs.

Parking a trailer in an RV park , in the same site or elsewhere in the park is all up to the individual park.

Overall length of coach and trailer , check with your local DMV for regulations , usually if your legal in your home state as far as total length, you'll be good.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

Overall length of coach and trailer , check with your local DMV for regulations , usually if your legal in your home state as far as total length, you'll be good.
This raises a question. We live in Michigan, but I though we might register in Ohio. Michigan has the highest auto insurance, Ohio the lowest. Is there a best state to be based in?

BTW what does it mean if a MH has a "Tag"?

With an enclosed trailer,can you take a car in and out when it is not hooked up to the MH?
Old 05-18-2018, 08:47 PM   #4

Most M/Hs over 40' have a " tag axle " ; an axle behind the drive wheels , to add more load carrying capability and help control sway from traffic and cross winds.

Loading an enclosed trailer , when disconnected from the tow vehicle , kind of depends on the trailer and how it's set up , back corner stabilizing jacks and wheel chocks , it's doable .

There are new rules being introduced , everywhere regarding , living in one state and registering in another . Choosing a state to be registered in usually only works for full time RVers.
Do a search on " Montana LLC s " for a few days worth of reading .
Old 05-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #5

A "Jensen Interceptor"!!!!!!!!!! Wow,
You don't see those mentioned on a daily basis. Heck, I've only seen one of the cross the stage of Barrett Jackson in all my years of watching it. I was always a big fan of those.

Anyway, as has been stated, there's plenty threads on trailers, enclosed, open, flatbed, aluminum, steel etc. If you're just getting started, yep, there's some major decisions ahead of you. If I knew then, (when we were starting out) what I know now, after about 35 years of RVing, 4 motorhomes, and a whole host of toads, I'd have gone to a diesel pusher just as soon as I could have afforded it.

The ability for most diesels to handle moderate to excessive loads, i.e. larger enclosed trailers with autos and misc. gear is considerably easier than a gas powered coach, trying to handle the same load. Now, there's a ton of details here but, I won't go into all of them. The larger the engine in the diesel coach, the easier it is for handling all the tasks presented to it. But, the larger the engine, 99.999% of the time, the larger the cost too.

So, you just have to decide what's a limit on spending, to accomplish your goal.

AS for towing a trailer and, being able to find a place to park it when traveling, well, that too has been discussed a few times. Of all the parks/campgrounds/RV parks etc. we've camped in over the years, very, very few of them were/are capable of handling the trailer. Yes, there are some but, not all that many. If you go that route, about the best advice I might have would be to develop a list of campgrounds/RV parks etc. that can handle the storage of a trailer. That is, if one hasn't already been developed.
Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #6

slight tangent-

I am looking at an enclosed trailer as well. Spoke with a few manufactures and they all build them with an "extended tongue" if you are going to be towing them with an RV. However, not many of the used trailers I have been looking at have an extended tongue.

Looking at the traditional tongue trailers, the tongue on the average trailer is similar in dimensions to my tow bar.

SO, Why do I really need an extended tongue? Why?
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Not true, there is no reciprocity on length like there is for insurance and licensing. You must be legal in each and every state you travel in.
That said they probably won't bother you unless you're doing something illegal like speeding. Even then it's unlikely they'll bother.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:07 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not true, there is no reciprocity on length like there is for insurance and licensing. You must be legal in each and every state you travel in.

That said they probably won't bother you unless you're doing something illegal like speeding. Even then it's unlikely they'll bother.

Having been in nationwide trucking biz for 43 years, I totally agree with Mr D. Not reciprocal at all. - Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #9

If I were to tow a car or jeep in a trailer behind a motor home, it seems like a good practice woudl be to pull the car out of the trailer and let it pull the empty (or semi-empty) trailer to the final destination either wherever roads get more difficult, or even immediately upon leaving the freeway. That would make arrival and getting into the space easier and also avoid problems with tight turns etc when off the freeway, or at least close to the final destination. Yes you would have to split up a couple and each drive one vehicle, but if you did it within an hour or less of the destination it woudl not be an issue.

Does that make sense to do?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Been Towing this the last 156,000 Miles - All over east of the Mississippi and not once ever have I been looked at twice, nor have I seen a MH with trailer pulled over. I'm 68 ft long and most States max length is 65 ft.
By the way --Take the Interceptor !!
This thread is going to get lengthy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Georges.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	203984  
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If I were to tow a car or jeep in a trailer behind a motor home, it seems like a good practice woudl be to pull the car out of the trailer and let it pull the empty (or semi-empty) trailer to the final destination either wherever roads get more difficult, or even immediately upon leaving the freeway. That would make arrival and getting into the space easier and also avoid problems with tight turns etc when off the freeway, or at least close to the final destination. Yes you would have to split up a couple and each drive one vehicle, but if you did it within an hour or less of the destination it woudl not be an issue.

Does that make sense to do?
Well,
What may make sense to one individual quite possibly will not to others. In all of our RVing career, about 35 years worth, we've only towed one trailer. It was a 16' one with a Honda GL1800 Goldwing in it. And, we towed it with a 34' Bounder. So, maneuvering in about 99.99% of the campgrounds we stayed in, was not a problem. But, we were only about 50' long at that time.

To me, I like to make things as easy as possible, the older we get. And again, to me, that means flat towing a vehicle. It's the simplest solution to have both a camping vehicle and a travel/run-a-round vehicle. But, that's just us. If a trailer with the run-around vehicle is the desire, well, that works for others. But, to us, the inconvenience of what to do with the trailer, each and every time you find a campground that you had no idea you were going to land at that evening, is not even a consideration. Many folks tow trailers and state on here that they've had not too many problems finding campgrounds that can handle a trailer.

But, to break the system apart and now you have two vehicles and one towing the car hauler, well, that's certainly up to you. Too much of a hassle to me. But again, if it works for you, great.

One more thing. There are some campgrounds, even national parks like Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, that, if you're not towing your toad, you're going to pay extra for it. We've encountered a few private campgrounds that enforce that rule. So, just something to think about.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Been Towing this the last 156,000 Miles - All over east of the Mississippi and not once ever have I been looked at twice, nor have I seen a MH with trailer pulled over. I'm 68 ft long and most States max length is 65 ft.
By the way --Take the Interceptor !!
This thread is going to get lengthy.
That is basically exactly what I was thinking of.

We are still working out 5th wheel or MH. However to idea of finally getting a convertible interceptor is a big plus on the MH side of the table. I love that car and it has my name on it (literally). They are really expensive right now though (about 70K - I am used to them being in the 40s, but it jumps up and down like anything).
Old 05-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
What may make sense to one individual quite possibly will not to others. In all of our RVing career, about 35 years worth, we've only towed one trailer. It was a 16' one with a Honda GL1800 Goldwing in it. And, we towed it with a 34' Bounder. So, maneuvering in about 99.99% of the campgrounds we stayed in, was not a problem. But, we were only about 50' long at that time.

To me, I like to make things as easy as possible, the older we get. And again, to me, that means flat towing a vehicle. It's the simplest solution to have both a camping vehicle and a travel/run-a-round vehicle. But, that's just us. If a trailer with the run-around vehicle is the desire, well, that works for others. But, to us, the inconvenience of what to do with the trailer, each and every time you find a campground that you had no idea you were going to land at that evening, is not even a consideration. Many folks tow trailers and state on here that they've had not too many problems finding campgrounds that can handle a trailer.

But, to break the system apart and now you have two vehicles and one towing the car hauler, well, that's certainly up to you. Too much of a hassle to me. But again, if it works for you, great.

One more thing. There are some campgrounds, even national parks like Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, that, if you're not towing your toad, you're going to pay extra for it. We've encountered a few private campgrounds that enforce that rule. So, just something to think about.
Scott
I think in part it depends on what you are used to. We live in a house that is 182 years old, and on an acre of wooded land. We have five kids who have or had old beater cars for years and years and depended on me to help them repair, or me/mom to drive them when they were broken. We also have two massive dogs and a plethora of other annoying pets (and always have had), so we are very accustomed to inconveniences. I am so looking forward to eliminating 90% of that and I hopefully will not mind the hassle of unhooking a trailer if it is more practical than towing it around corners.

It seemed to me the inconvenience of having to stop, unload and and unhook the trailer and pull it with a car, would be less than the inconvenience of driving on tight roads/turns and then pulling into a site with a trailer (that you cannot see at all) attached to the MH. If that is not the case, then it is not a good idea. I guess that was what I was really asking, would it be more or less convenient? I just didn't ask that question.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #14

A longer tongue on the trailer makes it easier to control when backing up and less likely to jackknife, and less likely for the trailer to contact the motorhome when making really sharp turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaspiveys View Post
I am looking at an enclosed trailer as well. Spoke with a few manufactures and they all build them with an "extended tongue" if you are going to be towing them with an RV. However, not many of the used trailers I have been looking at have an extended tongue.

Looking at the traditional tongue trailers, the tongue on the average trailer is similar in dimensions to my tow bar.

SO, Why do I really need an extended tongue? Why?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, trailer