Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have towed a 2007 Miata Grand Touring 6speed for over 30,000 miles with no problems. The owners manual says you can't flat tow. Unlock the steering column and put the transmission in neutral. Bought a Roadmaster baseplate for the Miata and a used Blue Ox on E Bay. Took them to a certified welder and had him combined them since Blue Ox doesn't make a baseplate to fit. We had a new Blue Ox towbar. The car has been a great tow, light and fun to drive. We get comments all the time about the looks.
Healyman on this forum also tow one.
1rwtownley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We pulled a 91 Miata four down with the five speed all over the country. It was 2,200 lb with a tank of gas.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
I pulled a 2005 Miata, six speed manual for about four years. No problems. The six speed transmission was designed different than the five speed, making the six speed a better towing choice. Put full synthetic lube in the transmission and rear end. Don't know if the six speed design was changed in 2006 or 2007. 2007 is when the PRHT came on the scene.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is mostly guess but MOST cars (not all) with manual transmissions can be towed 4 down.. On older cars with mechanical odometers they will rack up millage when towed, Modern electronic ones generally do not.

Yes a custom base plate may (will) be needed. I do not see any other special needs. Two seats, 4, 6, more, Pickup, the drive train is not much different.

One thing. Do not forget a brake system.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
The big concern with the manual transmission is whether or not the transmission will still "lube" itself while in neutral. The 2005 six speed Miata would continue to turn the main shaft and "lube" the transmission.

Not a mechanic or engineer, but did a heck of a lot of research before I started pulling my brand new 2005 Miata.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #20

Been towing a 2008 PRHT Miata for 4 years. Typically tow about 5,000 miles each year, so roughly 20,000 miles so far. The odo does not see the mileage.

No issues so far, and I autox the car about 15 times each year.

Using all Roadmaster equipment and no issues with that either. I deleted the steering lock so I don't need a key in the ign. 2013 and later miatas have no steering lock.

I would get some kind of protection for the front to prevent dings. I originally looked at getting a trailer but the extra expense and hassle was not worth it for me.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing