Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #1

Towing a two seat sports car.

I'd like to buy a 2 seater convertible with manual transmission. Anybody have any experience doing this. Or anybody knowing if this even possible I'd like to know if a custom base plate could be made to fit. I'm open to any make of car as long as it's a convertible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #2

It depends on the car as to whether or not it can be towed. Here is a good reference for towing that can help you.

Dinghy Towing | Family Motor Coach Association

Old 02-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If I was an FMCA member I could see the info. Putting it on a trailer with brakes will protect it from road debris and can back it up. A flat on the nice car would get messy on the highway. just get a convertible Wrangler like everyone else.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Putting it on a trailer with brakes will protect it from road debris and can back it up.
And the trailer brakes might be less problematic than the brake systems for Toads.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I drive a 2015 Mazda MX5 Miata GT with power retractable hard top (PRHT) as my daily driver. Love it. Fun to drive, bullet-proof reliability, inexpensive to maintain, 26 MPG on premium gas with me driving, and I drive it the way it was intended to be driven - hard and fast. The PRHT is fast and effortless and bulletproof to put down or up. Even my great-granddaughter can easily put is up and down.

But the owner's manual says very definitely that it cannot be towed 4-wheels down, regardless of stick shift or the wonderful paddle-shifter automatic. As a minimum, the rear wheels must be on a dolly.

And I would not want to tow mine on anything less than a trailer with all 4 car wheels on the trailer. But you can probably buy a new trailer with 3,500-pound axle and electric (magnetic) brakes for less than a good tow bar and hookups would cost.

For example, here's a light duty car hauler, 14' long with GVWR of 6,000 pounds, which is plenty for an MX5.
60CH Tandem Axle Car Hauler Special | Big Tex Trailers

Notice the wood floor and stake pockets. To protect your precious toad, you'd want to add a plywood windbreak around the front of the car. One sheet of 5/16th exterior plywood across the front, and a half-sheet on each side of the front of the car, to protect it with a 4-foot--high windscreen from junk picked and thrown back by the tires on the MH. Nail (or screw) the plywood to 2x4 stakes that fit into the stake pockets, then add a 2x4 brace from the top front corners of the windbreak to to the floor about 4' from the front of the floor. That will result in a strong windbreak that can withstand 70-MPH speed with no problem. Paint the raw lumber in whatever color your DW suggests.

I mentioned premium gas. It's a sports car, intended to be driven hard. Premium gas is a must if you want it to last a while.

The only thing wrong with it is lack of hauling space. It's definitely limited to one passenger in the front and a few groceries in the trunk. I had mine at Home Depot today, but all I needed was a couple of circle fluorescent lightbulbs which easily fit in the truck, so no problem. On a trip, one small suitcase plus maybe a couple of overnight kits, and you run out of space.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bob-

If a Miata would interest you, check out this iRV2 thread and this Web page by iRV2 contributor "Healeyman." And, here is a link to a Google search for iRV2 posts with the term "Miata" in them.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've seen threads about towing a sports car and the only issue I remember them having was getting the tow bar level. The car was so low, they needed a big drop on the hitch to get within the specs of the tow bar. I can't remember what car they were towing though.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonepilot View Post
I'd like to buy a 2 seater convertible with manual transmission. Anybody have any experience doing this. Or anybody knowing if this even possible I'd like to know if a custom base plate could be made to fit. I'm open to any make of car as long as it's a convertible.
Smart Car cabriolet by
Mercedes Benz?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #9

There may also be an option to have a Remco lube pump installed, even if the vehicle is not manufacturer-approved for flat towing. I would imagine that even if Remco makes a pump for the vehicle, installing it and then flat towing it would probably void the vehicle manufacturer's warranty. Check out Remco's website to see their list of "Recommended Towable Vehicles":

Lube Pump Kits : Remco

I ended up selling our new 2016 Audi TT AWD Roadster last year and buying a Jeep Wrangler. Unfortunately, we bought the TT at a time when we had no firm plans on buying a MH. And we hadn't even thought about towing anything. So for me, the Jeep is our new convertible. And, you can take the doors off.
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #10

Here's another link to download the dingy towing guides. It is year specific, and it's important to check the exact year of the vehicle you're planning on towing because it can change from one year to the next.

Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #11

Have a Mini Cooper S convertible. Convertible roof also opens as sun roof. Six speed. Pocket rocket/slot car. Handles n rides great. Jump seat in back reminisce my MGB. Flat towable.
Meets all the criteria. Buy an older one!
Old 02-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #12

I have never understood premium gas in the Miata. It's not that the engine creates crazy power or anything like that, it's only 160 ish HP if I recall?

I have seen a few NC's being towed behind RV's over the years but as stated with the front end as low as it is the to bar might not align properly, especially on a class A.

Trailer wise if possible I would consider a aluminum car hauler trailer. It's lighter and they can be found/purchased with front wind blocks, tire/wheel holders etc. They also often times have a lower height at the back of the trailer making it easier to load low cars. I have a trailer similar to the Texas trailer, 20 ish feet long, wood floor and I installed 6 or so tie downs. Took my Saab to the racetrack numerous times with the trailer.... Difficult getting in/out of the car due to door touching wheel weeks and also I had to be very cautious driving up on ramps....

I hope to snag a aluminum trailer one of these days......
Old 02-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #13

Drive 2009 Mini Cooper convert JCW 6 speed. Pull 4 wheels down no local stealing great ride
Old 02-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #14
jrs

Although it's an AWD a Subaru WRX manual is quite sporty and towable 4 down. Nissan 370Z (coupe or roadster) manual is also towable 4 down.

Tags
tow, towing